Super Tiger G-90 shutting off - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread
Old 08-03-2005, 09:59 PM   #1
RCC Senior Contributor

Total Props: 0
Super Tiger G-90 shutting off

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi everyone, I have a Super Tiger G-90 engine and there seems to be a problem with it. Ever since it was brand new it has been acting weird. I bought it to put in the Hobbico AWARF Extra 300S (YES the plane IS a .60 size, but I read a review where a guy put the G-90 in instead and liked it a lot so I went with it, plus its the same size mount as a .60 ). The first time the plane went out I was flying at a lake just in case something went wrong I wouldnt loose the plane in the ground. Well something did - after about a minute of flying I was going vertical and the engine just CUT. The plane did a very graceful stall and then a nice spin all the way into the lake from about 75 feet in the air. Didnt hurt the plane much (good call on going to the lake!!!). I would like to know why the engine is cutting out. It seems like every time it runs it cuts out. I havent flown the Extra 300S much more because of that. I took the engine out and put it in something else for a while. The engine didnt run for maybe 3-4 years but it fired right up and I am right back to where I started with it. The engine's RPM's seem perfict when I get the needle valve tuned in, but once I start taxiing the engine starts running rough and once I run her up it will just cut out like all of the sudden the fuel stopped getting to the engine - only the RPM's dont accelerate rapidly or decelerate and stall, it just flat out goes from half throttle to nothing. Maybe it could be the glow plug?? I have been using FOX plugs on all of my engines and none of them cut out like this one. Any ideas???

KC8QVO is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:13 AM   #2
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Naomi SL

Hi Steve,
I'm always the supretigre fan, I own Big Block supertigre ST3000 ( now discontinued) I used it for years and also G4500 currently on one of my Christen Eagles , tons of power.
I would suggest if you could change the plug from fox to os#8 or try the os plug with idle bar on it, see which one work out best for you. Also use 10% omega fuel, richened up the low end a tad (1/8 turn or so). I would try 15 X 6 prop (pro zinger if you find it that size if not APC would be a good substitute. Another thing is take the carb off and do a thorough cleaning ( remove all the needles and compress air entirely) use a fuel filter would be recommened. Let us know how it go..

Click here to fill in your LOCATION!! in you profile

Reccession Hurts? Click here to vote

(\__/) (\__/)
(='.'=) (='.'=)
(")_(") (")_(")

Vital Stats:
Started R/C Airplane since 1975
Started R/C Helicopter since 2001
Heli_Gal is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:21 AM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

After you do the checks from Naomi I would also check your tank. I would look closely at the fuel pickup as it also sounds like there is a pinhole near the top or in the fuel line to the tube connection. That will also shut you down quick going verticle or when you burn the top off.
Good luck, John
John Davidson
Keep the shiny side up and the wheels down
Vulcan1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:39 PM   #4
RCC Senior Contributor

OK, Ill check those things. The engine cuts off even on the ground taxiing though. It will just go from being fine to all of the sudden nada. Strange. I will try those clow plugs and see what I come up with.

Old 08-05-2005, 09:38 AM   #5
Raymond Gignac
RCC Apprentice

Hi. I have a ST .90 currently running in a Citabria and I can certainly attest that the OS /8 plug is the way to go. This engine is a real puller and has worked great for me.
MAAC 18970
Raymond Gignac is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:57 PM   #6
Claude Paradis
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Claude P.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C and 9C
# of RCs: 20+

check your bearings

Hmmm, engine hasn't run in a few years? What condition are your bearings in? To me this sure sounds like rough pitted bearings heating up and seizing.

Pull the engine apart, pull the crank out, rotate the bearings with the tip of your finger. They must be smooth turning. Any roughness and they must be replaced.

Oh and yes, the OS #8 and 5% to 10% nitro fuel - no higher.
Claude Paradis is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:08 PM   #7
RCC Senior Contributor

Well, the hobby shop didnt have any OS #8 plugs so I got the one the guy reccomended - KB RC long plug with the idle bar. No difference in the way the engine runs. I experamented with the engine today though. I ran both Wildcat 10% and Omega 10% fuel through it and there was no difference.

The engine will idle fine and run up to half throttle fine. Once I go past half throttle then the rpm's die off and if I keep the throttle past half it will shut off. The wider I have the throttle open the faster the engine dies off. If I run the throttle all the way open the engine will run up to top rpm's and then shut off - no slow death, just LIGHTS OUT. When I ran it just past half with the ignitor still on the plug and it started to die off I could drop the throttle down to about 1/4 and then throttle back up again. After 3-4 cycles when the ignitor was not on, the rpm's would just drop until the engine shut off - no matter what I did I couldnt save it.

Ill check the berings tomorrow like one of the guys said in here and see what they look like. There is a funny metallic ping sometimes when I flip the prop and let it bounce back and forth on the compression. The only time I have heard it is after the engine has been running and is warm.

Old 08-14-2005, 02:20 PM   #8
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Mike Gyger

I've had the same problems. But they have since been fixed it seems.
My 90 did not run very well at all about 6 years ago.
I had everything stored, and have since started up again. The engine is in a cub, inverted, with the Top flight in cowl muffler. The engine is currently running seemingly reliably (only 2 flights, no deadsticks).

Here is the things I've done to get to this point. Not sure wich one solved it, it has been a while.

I've added a second outlet to the muffler. (we thought the muffler was too restrictive. I've started using OS F plugs. The ones for the 4 strokers (tried all others, they all flamed out on me) I've tried all kinds of props. When the plane came out of storage it had a 13 8 master airscrew. It was broken, so i installed a 14 6 wood one. And fuel is 10% nitro.

I'm not claiming to be an expert. There was a team of club members all helping me out with this. We did try everything.

I hope something here sparks your 90, as it is a very good puller. Too much engine for my 60 size cub, but with floats on it it will be very nice.
Canhos is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.