Help on designing - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread
Old 08-30-2005, 03:36 PM   #1
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
Help on designing

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I recently downloaded a 3 view drawing of an airplane that I would like to build. I have put this drawing into modelcad. I was wondering if this is a way to design and build an airplane. Next, how do you determine where and what size of formers/ stringers are neccessary. For those of you who are familliar with modelcad how do I adjust this 3 view for the scale that I want.
twinotter is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:53 AM   #2
Ed Smith

Most CAD programs have a "Scale" command. This enables the user to scale drawings up or down. I am assuming you can now edit the three view in Modelcad. So, decide what size you want the finished drawing, wingspan for example, multiply the three view by whatever factor will achieve the desired finished size.

Ed S
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:52 AM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jim McIntyre
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 1
I'm doing this now but, with a different CAD.

If your CAD program supports layers, it's easier if you place the drawing on it's own layer. Draw some lines to length that you desire and resize/drag the drawing until it lines up correctly.

Be sure the original is correct scale, the scan is not deformed by the scanner, and that you don't stretch when resizing.

Placing formers and stringers is a combination of art and science. You not only need the strength but, you need to consider the flow of materials, including covering. sharp corners and compound curves require special attention. Mounting locations (like wing, tailfeathers, firewall and landing gear) too, as these will need extra strenght. I start with formers at curve "break" points like at the leading and trailing edge of the wing and the firewall and work out from there to ensure I can support the general shape, then I begin supporting the structure thinking of torsional and sompression & expansion forces. Some math but a lot of TLAR (that looks about right) as well.

There are several basic designs, and it helps if you've built kits of these designs. When it comes to the fuselage, If you're familiar with keel, double keel (my favourite), box construction etc. you're well on your way.

It often helps to build a smaller version of your intended scale, just to be sure what works on paper will work in real life. It can save you a lot of money, time and frustration. If you're really unsure, mock up your design with some scrap cardboard or cheap thin plywood. At worse these can serve as templates for your final design.

Hope this helps.
MAAC# 12719
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere - (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).
JimMcIntyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:38 PM   #4
RCC Apprentice
I am: Fred Messacar
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 15

ModelCAD has a "SCALE" command. (at least in ModelCAD 97)

Select the object to be "scaled" and then using the shortcut key "S" enter the multiplication factor into the x and y boxes and then press "Enter".

Make sure that both the x and y boxes are the same numbers or the drawing will be stretched. This will also resize all componenents of the drawing thus changing spar sizes, rib cutouts etc.

Good luck

Fred M.
messacar is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:52 PM   #5
RCC Noob

Thanks for the help

Thanks, That should get me started at least, maybe a smaller scale is the better way to go at first, The airplane I'm thinking of building is the 767-300 (nice airplane) the wingspan would be 11ft powered with ducted fans(hopefully) as turbines are too expensive but would be nice. I would imagine that it will take alot of tinkering to gey it just right.

thanks for the help, will probably have more questions along the way.
twinotter is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.