GAS PRICES-WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE? - Page 4 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 09-07-2005, 11:39 AM   #31
Newbie flyer
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Brad B

Total Props: 0
gas prices

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I just filled up my two cars and look what it did to my piggy bank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	piggy_bank_146.jpg
Views:	595
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	11057  
I tried flying electric but the cord kept coming unplugged!
Newbie flyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:08 PM   #32
Ed Smith

That poor pig! that truly is a sad sight.

Ed S
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:20 PM   #33
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
"By the way CA-NA-DA is in to the hips just like everyone else.......seems to me I saw a stat last week that says we have resources equal to Saudi Arabia. "

I heard something similar on 900 CMHL Radio here in Hamilton just a couple of days ago....said that Canada is about 80% self sufficient with oil and does have one of the largest oil reserves in the world.

IF this is the case, why then, did we in Canada, suffer such quick and drastic price hikes within only hours of Katrina shutting down oil rigs in the US , if for nothing else than gouging by the oil companies and backed by thoses elected to govern us in our supposed best interests? There was no way that we here in Canada should have seen these kind of price hikes and had is happen so quickly! We all know this!

As I said right at the beginning of this topic, and I still believe it's necessary, WE NEED TO DO SOMETHING! I have read with interest all the riplys to this subject and agree that it will make little impact ,if any, to do the boycott thing. BUT I still do think that its a good idea to write letters and make phone calls to our "wonderful" elected government officials. Not just one call to the local MP or one short letter, but letters to everyone you can think of in government, and when you've gone through your list, start over again, and then again and again.

What was the stat on sending out 10 letters to people we knew and having them send one out to 10 more???? 30 Million people in only 8 days? Well, what about you sending out letters to 10 government people and then passing that info on to 10 friends who each send out those 10 letters and then each passing that on to 10 friends each who will do the same. Can you imagine the PM getting thousands, perhaps millions of e-mails a day? NOT just for one day but every day for weeks! You think that wouldn't cause some notice to be taken?

This is just an idea! I really don't know what is the best plan here! Protest by not buying gas for a day or two ..... Not buy gas from two of the top oil companies again until the prices come down ... Writting letters and making phone calls? Perhaps some can even park their car like the Frenchman did and not drive at all, most likely unfeasable for just about everyone but at least he did something. And thats what my intent is here! Instead of just sitting back and complaining to others, who probably really don't want to hear it anyway...AT LEAST DO SOMETHING!!! if only to make yourself feel a bit better.
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:34 PM   #34
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Jeff M

The only way to beat the law of supply / demand is to reduce the demand! I was commuting a couple years ago and bought a Golf diesel. I drive about 800 k every month and fill up once. I make enough from my mileage claims to run and insure the golf and fill up the minivan that we bought for the planes (I mean kids). We're now driving the Golf more than the van, just because it's so expensive to drive it.
A statistically significant amount of people will have to buy hybrids/smart cars/diesels/etc. before it makes an impact. Driving less would help too.
Boycotts only work when you actually stop or reduce the amount of product long term. One day isn't going to make any difference.
Unknown airport with Cessna 150 circling overhead, identify yourself."
Frequentcrasher is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:52 PM   #35
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Jim Brown
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 4

The price went up here, and just about everywhere else too, because the oil market is global, not national.

It's the same thing as gold. (And just about as expensive, these days!) If something were to happen to a significant portion of the available gold, or if some big mine were to suddenly shut down, the price of gold would go up globally. It's the same thing, supply and demand. Ever notice that when the world economy starts to decline, the price of gold goes up? It's because more people/governments/other entities want more gold. More demand, same supply; higher prices. Doesn't matter if the gold you are buying has been sitting in a wharehouse for a year, you get to pay the higher price.

In the case of oil, over the past couple of weeks, the demand remained the same, but the supply went down. So, prices went up.

It's the way the free market works.

There is one alternative, but I don't think you or I would want it. The government could nationalize the oil companies and take control of the domestic market. They could then set the price as they wish. However, if the governent that has to import oil, they would have to pay going global market rates. If those rates go up, but the governent does not want to raise the price at the pump (wouldn't look good, particularly if an election is near,) they will end up subsidizing the price out of other revenue. That revenue being your tax dollars. So, you'd end up paying for it anyway.

JimBrown is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:15 PM   #36
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:

Originally Posted by JimBrown

The price went up here, and just about everywhere else too, because the oil market is global, not national.
Hmmm.....I guess the the global market does not include the fraser valley in BC, or parts of Alberta.
Their prices have hovered between $1.00-$1.05 throughout this supposed shortage.
I find it extremely hard to believe the experts, when their theory does not hold true across the Canadian market.

It's still price gouging in most parts of this country, plain and simple.
Justify it any way you want.
The execs should go to jail for taking advantage of the situation in the gulf.
Ron Mattiuz

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:28 PM   #37
RCC Contributor
I am: Chris D

Originally Posted by Kevin McGrath
Maybe its a dream,but if a US President wants to leave the most glowing legacy since Kennedy,all he has to do is stand up and say we shall be energy self sufficient by say 2015 and the first guy who develops a practical Hydrogen fueled vehicle wins the big prize
One problem with that.... Seen the price of a litre of water lately..??? Still more than a litre of Gasoline. Figure that one out... Especially living in BC..

I've heard the remark about Canada using between %80 & %96 of oil from within Canada. But remember.... It's a global economy and all these Oil companies aren't from Canada anyway.

I think we are going to be screwed until we change our attitudes and our lives. If most people were to use mass transit, carpools, bicycles... things like that not only will it be better for ourselves but better for our wallets and the environment. Maybe we should look at this the same way we do with smoking. Drive up the price sooo... high that you just can't afford to do it anymore and you'll force yourself to quit or pay the consequences.

Change of government is not going to affect a thing... period... i'm not buying that at all. Vote in the conservatives - there mostly from Alberta - Vote in the NDP - they'll need the tax dollars for all the social programs - Liberals they'll just blow it anyway. Anyway you slice it that part of the equation isn't going to help.

On the provincial side.... maybe... But not Federally.

The electric car - great idea. But how do you dispose of all those batteries once they're used up??... never could figure that out. But with the technology of batteries getting better everyday I don't think it's too far off but we're still looking at decades till they can replace the internal combustion engine.

Fuel Cell vehicles - I'm not too sure about them

Howabout the Deep Fryer Oil fuelled car. Piece on the news last week from a guy in Summerland who runs his truck on it. Smells like french frys wherever he goes. Saves the restaurants from having to dispose of it. It's free and tis good for the environment.

I think we have to look around us here. Gas prices will never be 60 cents a litre ever again no matter how much the price of oil drops. We have to start looking at ourselves and our surroundings and decide which is the right thing to do.
Chris Dallas MAAC#41367

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
Cdallas2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:37 PM   #38
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Ralph B

Wait for the economy to hit the wall!The topic won't be gas prices.
I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
Groucho Marx

Maac # 60449
bigguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:44 PM   #39
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:

Originally Posted by bigguy
Wait for the economy to hit the wall!The topic won't be gas prices.
That's exactly what I'm thinking
Ron Mattiuz

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:55 PM   #40
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Just returning from my 3 weeks in France, what I dont understand is a) why people insist on driving huge gas sucking vehicles to work daily, never saw any of those over there b) why we cant get the super cool and fuel efficient diesels here that they have?

Had a Renault Scenic, big enough to haul both of my pattern models (6.5 foot span) all my gear and a passenger (in the back seat but who cares)....1.5 L turbo diesel, most of the time I was hitting 80 mpg while doing 90 kph, 65-70 at 110 kph and 55-60 at 130 kph. It was extremely rare to see a gas powered think our prices are high try paying 2 Euro a liter for gas and 1.30 Euro for deisel there (then convert it to CND...ouch!).....while I was there the price of diesel and gas jumped about the same time it did over here as we watched it all on the news. It was not restricted to North America!

Every time I go to Europe and see the how functional and practical their vehicles are I come back here and realize that our car selection sucks
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.