How to make a test bench - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread
Old 09-16-2005, 11:14 AM   #1
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
How to make a test bench

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Anyone can recommend a cheap and easy way to make a small test bench for breaking-in and testing engines. Limited budget.

argileh is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:57 PM   #2
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Gary A.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 40

test stand

Take a solid wood board, not ply, and notch the end so the crankcase of the engine just fits into the notch. Make sure the crankshaft is pointing in the direction of the grain of the wood. Mount the engine to the board (mark and predrill the mounting holes so the board doesn't split) and "C" clamp the board to a picnic table. Take any used tank you have and space it up to the required height with another piece of board and take some rubber bands and put them around the tank and boards. Take an old 2-56 control rod put a plastic clevis on the end, connect it to the carb and then slip it under the rubber bands holding the tank on, so it will hold throttle position. That's about as cheap as you can get, but please use common sense with the mounting of the engine and "C" clamping to the bench. One other thing, I honestly wear safety glasses when fooling around with engines on a test stand as you are usually changing needle settings and a back fire can throw the prop, washer and nuts flying.
ridergary is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:23 PM   #3
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
The one described above is about as simple and as cheep as you can get and is a great workable design!

If you want to get a little more creative and have a simple stand that is somewhat more versitile then you can try this fairily easy design.

I used a piece of 2" X 6" about a foot long and glued and screwed another piece of 2 X 6 about 4" long on one end, making a "L" shaped piece. To make it a bit more rugged, a couple of gussets between the vertical and horizontal pieces is a good idea.

I used an old used adjustable glass filled mount, the two piece type that slides together that is adjustable for 40 to 60 size engines or larger even and mounted this to the vertical piece. You'll need to drill a hole for your fuel lines to go through and another hole for a throttle linkage. Use a couple of eye bolts at the rear of the vertical mount between which you will mount your fuel tank and use elastic bands to secure through the eye bolts. A piece of foam under the tank helps keep it from vibrating too much! Hook up the fuel lines as per normal and hook up a linkage to the throttle through the hole so you can work the throttle. Having something to hold the throttle linkage secure really helps here and its simple enough to do. A piece of square wood glued on end with a hole for the linkage to slide through and a screw on top going to the hole to hold the link works well.

This design is a bit more work, but is somewhat more versitile in that you can use it over and over again for a few different sized engines.

The big issue as mentioned in the last post with any engine stand is safety! Make sure it is assemble strong and secure. I used wood glue and 4 or 5 three inch screws to assemble the virtical piece. Also glue and screw in the gussets but make sure its strong! Use regular mounting bolts for the engine mount and the engine. (NOT wood screws as they will come loose) I use nylock nuts to prevent them from coming lose due to vibration just as you would when mounting these in your plane!

Find an area where you can clamp the test stand so that it will not move! Vibration can do amazing things so clamp it very securely to something that is not going to rock or move easily as well! And as has been said, for goodness sakes, WEAR gloves and safety glasses when operating an engine this way. If it should ever let go, pieces of prop and spinner will fly in all directions so be very cautious and be safe!

This is just another idea you might want to consider. Or it may give you an idea for something you can design and build for yourself. I have used this design myself successfully but if you do use this idea, Its up to you to make sure its strong and safe to use and in no way do I take any responsibility for the use of this design! LOL! Hows that for covering my butt? Anyway, hope this helps and gives you some ideas to work with!
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:49 PM   #4

Total Props: 1
ah, for what its worth, I'm just interested in making one. I got the RCV90 and it puts out a lot of grunt (18x12 at 5400 rpm).

The recom'd stand RCV suggests is a 2x4 base with 3/8" ply at one end for mounting the engine on (2x4 base, firewall and two sides are the ply).

If you're testing anything smaller than that, you could go the ply route (Gary's suggestion is good but maybe just a bit overkill ). In any case, better safe than sorry is one way to go.

Just suggesting what the mfg for my engine recommends.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	teststand_840.gif
Views:	175
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	11278  
voyager_663rd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:05 AM   #5
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

For what it is worth. I have made several over the years and finally built one to have permanently. Every time you have an engine that is giving you grief or if it is new you can mount it on the test stand before installing it in the airframe.
Mine is made from 3/4 ply in a L shape with a a gusset for bracing. It is about 18" long x 6" wide and 12" high. It is glued and screwed together and painted with fuel proof paint. I can clamp it on a table or screw it down but mostly I mount it on my stand with 1/4" bolts and fender washers. My stand is quite heavy when set up and I have mounted from .40 size to 46 cc's on it.
Whichever way you go it will work and watch the safety part. This is just my preferance.
John Davidson
Keep the shiny side up and the wheels down
Vulcan1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-17-2005, 03:05 PM   #6
RCC Noob

Thanks guys for all the help. I would appreciate posting picures of your stands if you have ones. Thanks a million.
argileh is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:29 AM   #7
Ed Smith

The first picture of my engine stand. Two pieces of angle iron and four legs. The mount is an old Tatone mount, I think. The little cox engine can just be seen.

Second picture to follow

Ed S

Following edit added.
Ok so it did not upload, file too large I suppose. This Forum could sure do with a better picture capability.
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:37 AM   #8

email to me and I'll shrink it for you if you like.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:41 AM   #9
RCC Contributor

Very easy to make. Picture is worth a thousand words

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	saito_80_next_day_bench_run1_229.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	11356   Click image for larger version

Name:	saito_80_bench_run_test_r__934.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	11357  
MAAC Member
Arnprior RC Club Secretary
Giants, Heli's, Biplanes, Gremlin's
I'll fly anything at least ONCE!!!
B-25 Mitchell (101")
jessy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:29 AM   #10

found this thread on RCC
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.