Dumb thumbed my bird on an auto. - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Closed Thread
Old 09-26-2005, 11:36 AM   #1
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Eric T

Total Props: 2
Dumb thumbed my bird on an auto.

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
At some point we all need to learn auto's.

After loosing a heli to tail drive trouble it has been a goal to add auto's to my list of can-do.

This is a case where my confidence is not up to my skill level. After shooting a couple of pretty nice auto's, I got edgy with the head speed on my last one and hit throttle hold just as the skids were touching down. The torque pirouetted the heli into the ground and left a good sized divit in the turf.

What had I done---- Turned what should have been a good landing into a disaster.
Luck was with me because the only damage was to the flybar. Headspeed was low and the ground was soft. Thank you September rain!

For me, shooting an auto is a relatively low risk maneuver but still a gamble. I need more time to learn how the heli should sound and feel without the engine. The more I practice the more the odds will always be in my favour.

Is this worth it????
Yup, I have already developed enough patience to land my heli after the rudder pushrod snapped in flight eariler this summer.

Just my 2 cents worth
tech1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:02 PM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jim McIntyre
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 1
Yep, it pays off.

I avoided autos for my first year of FFF. I paid the price.

I did botch a few autos and cost me the usual tail boom, blades, flybar etc. but I had a ball shooting good autos, especially sliding autos which I find easier with a .30 size.

The practice saved me on two occasions last year, one when I lost the tuned pipe, and another when I ran out of fuel (DOH!).

I still get nervous when I pull the trigger, MUCH worse when I decide I have to bail out.
MAAC# 12719
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere - (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).
JimMcIntyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.