Claude Paradis
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Claude P.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C and 9C
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 0
Going gas -- maybe .......

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
So what would be the minimum size plane and engine to venture out of glow and into gas powered plane? I am curious. If a guy doesn't have to go into a monster sized plane I might consider giving it a go.

What is the smallest gasolene powered setup you can think of? (enigne and plane)
Claude Paradis is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:58 AM   #2
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Dave

CG Sukhoi with a MVVS 1.6 Gasser. Should work OK.
4REDave is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:49 AM   #3
I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-16
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 16
Anything that would take a 1.20 FS should be good for the MVVS1.6 or the RCS 140 or 180.

Depends on what type of flyiong you want to do. Checkout the Engine Use Chart at RC Showcase. They base the gas engine size on model weight and performance. I would say something in the 72" - 80" for Aerobatic.
Jim Daly
IMAC Sequence Committee Member
Your Friendly Neighborhood SouthEast Zone Director
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:44 AM   #4
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jim McIntyre
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 1
Or on the cheaper side, a weedie conversion (generally come in about 23cc) should pull a cub with up to 80" wingspan quite well....

I have a few gas engines but I'll be the first to acknowledge I'm no expert. The factors that seem to provide success are the venerable Walbro carb and an ignition pack with mechanical advance.
MAAC# 12719
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere - (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).
JimMcIntyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:00 AM   #5
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: kevin w

Total Props: 1
There are exceptions (like biplanes) but the crossover point is models intended for minimum 1.2 in glow.
The cheapest reliable gasser is a weedie conversion utilizing the flywheel and magneto ignition setup which usually means starting with a regular 12V starter to spin the engine fast enough for a decent spark and because the CR ration on the average weedie is anemic to say the least.
Homelite and particularly Ryobi are easy conversions.
Any 80"+ cub ,the SIG 4/120,and the Dynaflite semiscale series of models are naturals for these and other small gas engines.
The next step is to convert the weedie to electronic ignition and ditch the flywheel.It wont start any easier but you will lose a lot of weight.
The best answer,budget allowing is to buy a good factory conversion like the Zenoah 23 or 26 cc engines or a designed for purpose with electronic ignition like the RCS 22 ana 26cc or the newer ROTO 25cc.
There are all kinds of old Quadras and others around at bargain prices but these are somewhat bigger in displacement and much heavier than any of the above.
You pays yer money..........................
IMAA 27023
IMAC 3710
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
earthquakes.........but today there are more people in the way.
Kevin McGrath is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:40 AM   #6
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
If you are to succeed in the transition to gas first of all consider that the aircraft you will be choosing will be a bit larger for the most part. Like the guys have said any airframe suited to 1.2 alcohol and up could be used for the smaller gassers. Do you have the room to transport these easily? Fighting every time you come out trying to get it in the vehicle soon takes the fun out of owning these larger ships. With gas your starting routine will be a bit different as will your precautions for fuel handling. A good fire extinguisher on hand at all times is a good idea.

There will be a lot of suggestions as to engines and airframes and most of them will be good ones however remember you have to be satisfied with the looks and performance and your criteria will be different than others. On that note spend some time and look at different airframes until you find one that suits your tastes. If it has a recommended engine size for gas so much the better usually following the manufacturer’s recommendations will result in a very nice setup. If on the other hand there is not a recommended gas setup then you will have to look at a few things. First and foremost will the gas engine’s weight make balancing the plane difficult? A poorly balanced (even nose heavy) airplane will be a big disappointment. Is the cowl large enough to accept the gas motor? I have seen some conversions that have so little cowl left they may as well not have any. Take a look at the structure is it sufficient to support the stresses of the motor you intend to use. Pick a motor that has a proven track record for dependability and service.

If you enlist the aid of a few experienced gas modelers and take your time and plan well your first experience with gas will be a very rewarding one.

PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:55 AM   #7
Claude Paradis
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Claude P.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C and 9C
# of RCs: 20+

Thanks everyone for the input so far. All good stuff.

I think my question is answered. I am looking at a minimum 120 sized ship to venture into gas and around a 25cc-30cc engine. The type of plane I would be interested in for this would be along the lines of an Extra 300 or the the big Stinger.

So I guess the great planes 1.60 Extra 300 would be my primary candidate when I decide to try this?

Thanks for setting me on the right track. I do not have anyone local (in gas) to help me out with this so I will be relying on you guys. No problems, I know I will be steered straight - I will get it all figured out and be successful.

That's all I have on this topic for now. My curiosity is satisfied. Now to pick an airframe and engine so I can budget to start stashing some cash to make it happen.
Claude Paradis is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:21 PM   #8
RCC Supreme Contributor

Whereabouts in NE BC are you?? There are some giant scale flyers just across the border in the same neck of the woods...

BME is supposed to be coming our with a range of really small gassers next year (I think as small as .90 !). I've see the MVVS line and they are jewelry compared to the industrial conversions that are more readily avaliable...

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:21 AM   #9
RCC Contributor

I put an MVVS 26cc gasser on a H9 Ultra Stick Lite. What a great combination. The only glitch is the one piece 76" wing. If you can pack the wing around I highly reccomend this set-up. The MVVS 26 is really easy to get along with, and is very powerful (8300 rpm on a Mejzlik 18x. The airplane is as relaxing or exciting as you want it to be. Sport flying and some 3D stuff are all within it's flight envelope. UtraRC is selling a 78" Giles 202 that works well with the MVVS 26 as well, a bit more scale than a "Stick" but the covering scheme is a bit gaudy for my tastes. Here's a link:

David Moen
Salmon Arm, B.C.
MVVS Canada
David_Moen is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:32 PM   #10
Don M.

I bought a MVVS 26cc & tuned pipe from David and stuck it on a Balsa Nova 120 ARF. I don't know what else you would want to get started in gas. Almost the same power as my OS 160 on a muffler, starts & runs as well, will idle all day @1600 and runs @ 20% of the cost.
  Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.