Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread
Old 09-28-2005, 10:33 AM   #1
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: AlexL
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 2
YS53FZ low end needle valve

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hello all, I bought a YS 53FZ several years back and let it set with some of the other engine collections I have. I do realize that YS has discontinued this model and replaced it with the 63.

Anyway, I finally got the chance to use it on a 40 size Edge, and went out to the field yesterday to test run the engine which had been side mounted with a solid beam mount. All pumpings have been tie wrapped and double checked for air-tight operation.

The one-way valve is a brand new one and connected to the pressure line of the tank, and filter fitted between the feed line of the tank to the engine.

Gone through the exercise of what suggested and the engine started ok with an electric starter, but then that's where the problem began, it was running very rough, oh by the way, OS F-Plug, 11 x 6 APC prop. Wildcat 20% nitro fuel with sympetic/castrol.

Continued the saga and several hours gone past, fuel all over the place and ready to set fire on it. Somebody suggested the low-end needs to be adjusted, well, look all over the engine and couldn't find it. Took everything home and looked at the carb more closely, and then found that there is a threaded hole in the carb barrel, but nothing was inserted.

I don't remember seeing any small item resembles a low-end needle valve in the box from day one, and couldn't have missed it if it came in a separate bag. Is the low-end needle valve supposedly factory installed?

Anyway, question - does the 53 has a low-end needle valve? If not, how do you adjust the low-end which seems to be the problem of my engine. If it does, where could I get one in Canada? I am sure the warranty would not cover it at this time of the game.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. Is there any YS rep. I can talk to?

Thank you,

AlexL is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:35 PM   #2
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Ralph B

Total Props: 0
Hi Alex,

There is a low end needle for that engine and it should be in the barrel on the same side as your hi speed needle.Once you have installed it, adjust it per factory instructions.Just remember that on ys engines you turn it out to lean and in to richen.Not what you normally see.Try the fellows at central hobbies they are excellent to deal with as far as ys parts are concerned.You will have what you need in a few days.
I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
Groucho Marx

Maac # 60449
bigguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:35 PM   #3
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: AlexL
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 2
Big thank you

Hello Big guy,

Thank you for the pointers. Talked with Dave, and most importantly, Chad - YS Canadian Rep. and all offered a lot of helps.

The parts to retrofit the older 53 are on their ways, and this I am sure will fix my problem.

Thanks again.

AlexL is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.