Looking at a 4 stroke to replace OS.40LA in trainer - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread
Old 10-01-2005, 01:49 PM   #11
RCC Senior Contributor

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Well I think the Saito 56 is going to be my best bet in terms of power to weight ratio. I was reading something about it online and the article said people are using those in place of the older 50 in a .40 size plane and were "overpowering" them. I think thats just what I need. If its more than I need I can always throttle back, but like I said before I think in this circumstance its better to have too much than not enough. Right now my .40 is in the "not enough" category

KC8QVO is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:29 PM   #12
RCC Senior Contributor

No need to purchase an expensive 3 blade prop that is less efficient
Dont 3 blade props move more air for the same size 2 blade? I dont see what you mean by "less efficient". As for cost, they arent that bad. I am thinking about trying a 3 blade 10x6 Master Airscrew on the trainer with the .40 on it just to see how it runs. My 1/2A engines (Norvel .061's) run VERY happy with a COX 5x3 3-blade, but since I cant get any more of them (discontinued) I run Tornado 2 blade 5x3's and Master Airscrew 6x4's.

KC8QVO is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:12 PM   #13
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Mike Gyger

3 bladed props are less effecient in that the introduce one more blade to add "drag" it is marginal, but it is less effecient. They will move more air, but take more power to do so.

I have no experience with the 4strokes (i may have said that already) but if you get a Saito 56, you should be fine. I'd start with a 2 bladed prop though. It could make a big difference. As well, if you do go with a 3 bladed prop, remember that the rule of thumb for going this route is to reduce prop size by one inch. So if you were using a 10-6 2 blade, you would want to go with a 9-6 or a 10-5 3 blade to start.

If prop clearance is an issue, make sure you check out the props that Saito reccommends.

Your LA is an economy motor. It has less power than the same size FX or Supertigre would have.I think you've stated this is a LT 40 or something similar. Being that you have the LA-40 engine, you are at the bottom of the scale for power.
a 56 4s is at the top of the ratings for reccommmended 4 strokes.

That being said, I'd go for it. (if I had the funds). Try it with an 11 inch prop (no need for a new spinner).

Good Luck
Canhos is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.