Youth Development / MAAC Growth - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 10-10-2005, 08:52 PM   #11
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Dave D

Total Props: 1

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Orenda, I understand what you say. Any organization has different personalities in it's members. We have some great guys in our club. We also have some guys who who can be rude. Thats the nature of any group. My son(12) flies in our club and so far is having a great time. Most of the members treat him great and make him feel very welcome. There are one or two who seem to feel he should not be flying alone(he has his wings). That is just human nature. I remember some parents at baseball(it is the same in all groups).

The past few weeks it has been getting too dark to drive to the flying field after work. We went out a few time to field accross the street and fly some of our electric planes. We have been getting some of the neigbours out so we took out the old slow stick and gave a few lessons(Yes I know we are not covered my MAAC insurance). Sunday a neigbour asked me to help him pick out a gas trainer system for his wife to buy him for Christmas. Our hobby needs exposure to grow. .

A club in our area has been doing outings for school groups(I think they did about 25 groups this year and everyone gets to fly and have lunch). They have a few trainners and some very dedicated individuals. This is amazing.

There are many ways to promote our hobby. MAAC can help us with the tools. The rest is up to us.
adaptabl is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:30 PM   #12
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Mike Gyger

Total Props: 0
I think the biggest thing is exposure. If you are seen, people will ask questions, or at least try to get close to the action. I've noticed this alot at our field. We fly at a "park" where many large events happen. We drive through a locked gate and go off to the corner to fly our planes. Often, I see pwople watching. I always invite them in to check it out. Sometimes, the come, and once in a blue moon, we will get a new member. Again, never "youth". It's always the older crowd.

I'm still the youngest in the club. First time round, I was 23, in a group of guys 45 and up. second time around, I'm 32, in a group of guys closer to mine and up.

First time, I had a decent job, and just did it. Second time around, I had been waiting for things to be right. (house, job, cash flow).

So, I think second thing is cost. You need to get together planes cheap. Most parents won't give their kid $400 for some RTF kit, let alone everything else. They don't see this as a character building hobby, worthy of the "investment". (I don't think I spent more than 5% of my time flying, the rest is troubleshooting, suggesting, teaching, building or just talking)

And the last thought in my head atm. This is seen as a "rich mans game". Everyone I talk to about flying comments on the expense. They don't realise that the large majority of us aren't "loaded" and just budget our dollars to get the most we can.

In a nutshell, people need to know about "the sport", understand there is a lot to be learned, and we need to dispell the myth about the $$$ you NEED to get into it.

Just a few of my thoughts
Canhos is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:33 PM   #13
RCC Contributor
I am: Ed P.

Old farts

Hey Orenda, PLEASE don't let the old farts put you off! This is a great hobby! You WILL have lots of fun at it. My son started flying at age 12 & had some of your problems. Not at our club though just at some fun flys. You know who has all the crashes though- the old _____!
Please keep at it. You definitely will at some time get some recognition, if not from the old ____s well from your other younger pilot friends.
no such thing as too fast!
rcjetguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:33 PM   #14
RCC Junior Contributor

What we're finding out .......and probably knew all along ..... is that promotion of the hobby to all ages is up to each club. Some are better at it than others because they have a core group within that are motivated.

A national association such as MAAC is not going to do it for you. It's up to your club and the leaders at club level. MAAC should focus on a few core issues such as Government butt-kissin, Insurance, Admin co-ordinations etc.

To suggest that MAAC is somehow responsible for "advertising" your local club and it's related focus is a practice of wasted effort.

Jim McIntyre told you how to get members into your club. It's not difficult, but it's not easy.

Two things that won't get you members is being cranky and waiting for everyone else (ie: MAAC) to do it for you.
Sharpy205 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:50 AM   #15
RCC Junior Contributor

Having myself just gotten into this hobby this yr, some of the things i was looking for when looking to join a club.
where location to me.
cost of membership -not so much the cost but the high cost of initiation, maybe a one time fee but when your asking $70+ for membership and and another $100 one time fee. it adds up
the amount of members in the club and the number of instructors.

One club i approached local to me, I was told membership was full and there was a waiting list.

In my case i convinced a friend of mine to also join in this hobby, and as we both live in different towns this opened up 4-5 other clubs to check out, settling on one in the middle. On attending a meeting we were greeted warmly, and joined, when attending the field to fly, members assisted in helping us have our planes set up.

What this shows is that every club member not just the committee is responsible for getting the word out and promoting the club, and when guests do visit, make them welcome, As for the clubs with members that couldn't give the time of day, just think one day when your membership dues increases in may have been your fault as you discouraged a new member with your attitude, or driven away existing members.
Another area where promotion could be better with the hobby shops themselves. with the increase in Park flyers, these being small electrics, the flyers are staying away from the nitro clubs-today while i was at the field, one such person showed up, on chatting found out he didn't join MAAC due to cost.(26 yr old limited income)but he did have a plane that he himself admitted was too much for a park but then he didn't need MAAC or a club membership to fly in the park.
Hmm maybe towns and citys should suggest having insurance.
It wasn't a crash it was deconstruction for improving
maac 73408

Alan Brace
abcool is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.