BUILDING A HOBBY ROOM-Your input appreciated - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Giant Scale Aircraft Discuss Giant RC Scale Aircraft.

Closed Thread
Old 10-13-2005, 05:41 PM   #11
RCC Master Contributor
I am: John R
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 20

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I agree with lots of plugs. I have mine all mounted behind my workbenches. The heghest volume bathroom exhaust fan will keep the air moving. Laundry tub for sure. Two of the best things I did:

1) Put lights in your lower cupboards on each end with a switch. Even if you only put on 50W buls, it helps see a lot of stuff and

2) I have a cement floor on my basement workshop and I put down "rubber tiles" 18"x18". They glue right to the floor, are relatively expensive, but real easy on the feet and knees. They are commercial grade that you sometimes see in arenas etc. Easy to clean up, take a real beeting, drop your exacto and it sticks upright and saves the blade. Overspray, ca and epoxy spills clean up with a scouring pad.

Don't forget the TV (wall mount), Stereo and old plastic lawn chair when you need to sit back and plan your next move. I put adjustable 3 track pot lights, wall mounted above my work benches, on a separate switch. Lots of peg board to hang stuff on. Don't forget to insulate it and make sure you have an air duct outlet for heat and AC
John Kovats

aka Johnny Versatile

MAAC 65460

Hespeler Model Aviators Inc.
Cambridge Float Flyers

I don't have the answers, but I have a personal relationship with the Guy that does.
JKovats is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:16 AM   #12
RCC Expert Contributor

Total Props: 0
I also used DAYLIGHT florescent bulbs. Cost a little more but the light is great.
Palmer Johnson
Jabba is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:19 PM   #13
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Mike Gyger

Another nice thing I've thought of while dream building your shop. At each end of your bench put a 3 way switch. Locate your shop vac in a lacation out of the way, and have a switched plug for it. You could even plumb the work bench with dust extraction to get rid of all that nasty dust and stuff. i think Home Depot and the sort sell kits for it. Need to suck up some junk? grab the hose and throw the switch. No vaccuum to trip over and it's easy to turn on.

(I think I am way to focused on power. Sorry!)
Canhos is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:38 PM   #14
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Greg P

Last spring I finnished a 16' by 13' room in the basement as a shop. My electrical outlets are above the bench and are spaced every 48". I have two flourescent lamps spaced evenly across the width of the room. There are two single bulb lamps one at each end. the lighting is good.

There are two work benches 8' long a 4' bench and a folding table for the center when I need it. I also have a drafting table that makes a great cutting surface for covering. One bench has the scroll saw, band saw, drill press and belt sander. The other is for framing wings and fuse.

I built the filter box with furnace filters and it works really well. Saw the plan in RC Modeler. Another slick item is a shelving unit over the assembly bench. All the adhesives, tape and hand tools are right there. I put a small flourescent lamp underneath it and it really lights up that surface.

The next step is to run a steel airline from the garage I can hook up to my compressor. I'll leave the end of it in the ceiling off to the side. I would also like to add a exhaust fan. That would help remove odors.

Seems like a lot of you have had the same ideas. you won't regret having a user friendly space. Just wish I had some windows.
What goes up.
Seafury is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-25-2005, 05:17 AM   #15
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Ted L

My next shop, I want to have finished walls with drywall and paint on them. I too would like some windows other than the dinky basement ones.
Ted LeBlanc
Noin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:16 AM   #16
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 10
In my current "shop" (Just a room in the basement) I have a twin tube fluorescent right above the table where I work, but I also took a string of exterior christmas tree lights with clear bulbs (the big ones) and ran it back and forth over the wall mounted shelf brackets, but underneath the lowest shelf. (There is nothing but stocks of balsa on the shelf so there is no weight to speak of crushing the cord between the shelf and bracket). When I kick those on it really lights up my work area, and as there are 25 small light sources, there is no problem with glare, and the area is uniformly lit. Also, I am not standing in my own light casting shadows. I think I will take that with me to my next shop.
Dave Holmes

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:06 PM   #17
RCC Expert Contributor

Originally Posted by Dave Holmes
I also took a string of exterior christmas tree lights with clear bulbs (the big ones) and ran it back and forth over the wall mounted shelf brackets, but underneath the lowest shelf.
There's an idea! Cheap and evenly distributed lighting. Think I'll give it a try.
MAAC 50249

Planes, Pedals, and Motorcycles! (In that order!)

I stopped being politically correct when I found out that some people were offended by it.
nosedive is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:30 PM   #18
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Peter D
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18 MZ
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 8
Hobby room

Five items to marriage bliss

1. Sound proof your room so the wife does not have to hear the tools running.

2. Have a separate air supply and exhaust to the room from the rest of the house. Your wife will appreciate it if you do any spray painting.

3. Put in an extra large door to minimize hanger rash.

4. Put rubber matting on the floor to minimize fatigue on your feet

5. Have a display wall for all your trophies etc.
MAAC Jet Committee Member
Deputy South West Zone Director
Member of JPO
Deputy Director - Pickled Pilot Squadron
RC_MAN is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:03 AM   #19
RCC Noob
I am: Daryl B

Balsa Dust, lots and lots of Balsa Dust!!!

Merry Christmas Brad, hugs for Terri and the little pilot

aka Grump
grump is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-25-2005, 10:27 AM   #20
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Darren G
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 8
island for workbench

One thing you might consider (if there is enough space ), is an island type workbench... I guy I know has this right in the middle of his work area, and it's great... He never has too turn his plans around, or bend way over to build, justs works from the other side or just moves to the best side to work.. Plus He can assemble the model on the bench.....
He did have all his sanders and scrollsaw ect on a bench at one end... But I figure I will do this if I ever re-build my shop....
Darren loves Floatplanes and dirt bikes
cf-drg is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.