What does everyone use for covering? - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread
Old 10-19-2005, 12:03 AM   #21
Claude Paradis
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Claude P.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C and 9C
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have used:

21st century film. It was OK to work with, but didn't pull very tight. Easy to apply. However, I found it to be kind of "rubbery". It covers and looks nice but it doesn't have a lot of strength to it - the finished model it flexes alot. I restrict its use to very small models and only until I get the stock used up and am rid of it for good.

Ultracote. Absolutely love it. Very easy covering to work with. Goes around corners and compound curves well. Does not bubble when layered. Pulls tight and is pretty strong. However, on end seams the glue can be damaged (cooked?) and not stick down if you use too much heat for your sealing pass. Not much cursing in the workshop when I am using Ultracote. The finished project is strong yet the covering has "some" flex and durability. It is no where near as brittle as monokote.

Monokote. A very strong covering yielding stunning and glistening finishs. A real bear to work with if you are covering anything that has more than one turn in it. Lots of cursing in the workshop when working with MK. Pulls really tight and strong. However, it is brittle - shatters rips and tears to no end if punctured. Use as much heat as you want - seams rarely(never) lift. I haven't had much success layering monokote for graphics. It bubbles easily and alot. But I have learned that this is probably just from using too much heat when trying to seal it down. Irregardles, I will not be buying any more MK. I will only use it until I am rid of the stock I have.

Econokote = monokote, but thinner film sheet. Lighter weight. All same comments as above.

Guys and Gals, even though it doesn't get all the advertising dollars hype and push as MK --> ULTRACOTE is the best film covering available. If you haven't tried it, you need to let go of your ways - open up to new experiences, and go pick up a roll of Ultracote. It is guranteed to be a pleasant experience. You need to resist the MK advertising hype. Note: I am talking about films here, not attempting to compare at all to fabrics or glassing.
Claude Paradis is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:11 AM   #22
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Mike Gyger

Thanks Claude for the comparison. I'll be trying UC soon.
Canhos is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:26 AM   #23
Shallow LakeShore
RCC Junior Contributor

1'st trainer

My first trainer /crasher was an ugly stick, foam wing covered in pantyhose and thinned white glue. It was tough, cheap and ugly but a coat of paint and some distance made it look better.
Shallow lakeshore
Shallow LakeShore is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:06 AM   #24
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: kevin w

Total Props: 1
Tried just about everything one time or another and currently use:

Ultracote for a plastic iron on..........hate Monocote.

Sig fabric and sprayed latex for open structures

Light glass/epoxy with sprayed latex for solid structures.

Above choices arrived at using cost,ease of use,realistic finish ,durability,color choice availability as criteria........

The scale model I flew at the Nats had a fabric /dope finish which was very realistic in this particular case but oh.......the cost of dope and thinners when you are matching a full scale paint scheme on a 1/3 scale model
IMAA 27023
IMAC 3710
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
earthquakes.........but today there are more people in the way.
Kevin McGrath is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:17 PM   #25
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Terry L

Total Props: 6

Interesting point about disposable airplanes, I never thought of it that way...

A good friend built a Berkeley Sea Cat (freeflight) in the early 50s, and did the traditional silk & dope finish. He flew it for many years, off salt water and fresh, nearly lost it a few times (when the timer stuck), dunked it many times, and by the 80s it was still good as new. Diesel fuel had no effect on it. As far as I know, it is still just fine, unless someone butchered it to install a radio...
TLyttle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.