DIY Night Blades - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Closed Thread
Old 10-16-2005, 12:47 PM   #1
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Calvin Martini
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 7
DIY Night Blades

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Following the examples of others, I made myself a set of 315 night blades using the Align 315 woods. They work great and it was a simple project requiring only basic soldering skills. Picking out the parts to order was the toughest part.

Here are the parts I used (all from Digi-Key):
Quantity Part Number Description
2 67-1705-1-ND LED TOP ALINGAP RED 2832 SMD Red
2 67-1706-1-ND LED TOP ALINGAP ORANGE 2832 SMD Orange
2 67-1708-1-ND LED TOP ALINGAP YELLOW 2832 SMD Yellow

I made a template for the battery holders, drilled the mounting holes through the blades, cut the covering slightly smaller than the holder and CAed the holders to the wood blades with thick CA. The holders are mounted so that their retaining circle is pointing outwards - the force of rotation and the heavy spring clips keep the batteries in place. I use 2 16mm 3V lithium coin batteries per blade for 6V.

I ran the circuits for the LEDs using the foil tape cut down to 1/8".

I soldered the LEDs in place. I found it easiest to place a drop of solder on the copper tape one each side of the LED mounting location - then I could simply hold the LED in place and heat the contacts to solder the LEDs in place. In this series configuration, the LEDs are mounted with their cathodes (negative) mounted facing the negative battery connection. I used 3 LEDs per blade (red, orange and yellow), each with the exact same electrical characteristics (2V, 30 mA). By wiring them in series and choosing LEDs with the same electrical characteristics, I didn't need a resistor (6V/3 = 2V per LED). I set the spacing to get 5 LED circles with the blades turning - the Red LEDs on the tips are mounted on opposite faces to provide optimal viewing angle with the blades rotating. The other LEDs are mounted on the leading edge with slight alternating angles - again to optimize the viewing angle.

The circuits are then protected with packing tape.

I use a small tab of clear plastic to break the electrical contact when I store the blades - it's a simple on/off mechanism. The tab slides between the batteries and the holder spring contact and is removed to activate the lights.

The cost is approximately $30 US plus once set of 315 woodies. A nice, fun little project.

There's a nice tutorial on using LEDs here. The tutorial has a link to a very useful online calculator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	night-blades-010_390.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	11797  
martinic is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:20 PM   #2
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Jeffrey T

Total Props: 0
Nice work! Do you think it would work with the batteries mounted on the head-button?
Need something Extra? Losing your Edge?
Don't Yak all over your CAP, just Suk it up!
JeffElecRC is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:38 AM   #3
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Calvin Martini
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 7
One of the users on RC Groups (ThahnTran) uses a tiny lithium rechargable cell on the center hub and uses wire and Dean's mini connectors to connect the cells to the blades. The nice feature of his setup is that the battery is rechargable. The coin cells I'm using cost ~$4 a set (of 4) and last ~30 minutes.
martinic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.