Professionalism - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 10-19-2005, 06:49 PM   #11
RCC Contributor

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
controversial posts make for better reading and more importantly, more awareness

i agree my post may appear to be bias but its not unlike many threads

theres no place,like cloud base!
j-coles is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:27 PM   #12
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Keith Morison

Total Props: 11
The problem comes, generally, when peole post opinion or conjecture as if it were fact or when fact is introduced that makes a person look bad, or shows that they have been aggrssivly spinning their posts.
Keith Morison
MAAC 24909L
Morison Communications - Publishers of Model Aviation Canada
Morison is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:03 PM   #13
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Mike Gyger

My 2 cents.
i see these boards as an extension of the fields we fly in. You have way more people though. I love the different backgrounds, and different ideas. I may not agree with some of them, but they all belong to someone. If someone comes out to the field with a certain anything, different people will have different things to say. I use Supertigre engines generally, and I've been told at all the fields I've flown at to replace them. Why? Because of opinions.

We will all develop opinions regarding certain individuals, and we all have that right. Every place where people are there is going to be some disagreement. I think as long as it doesn't go into a big slanderous sluggfest, it's all good. Yes, topics do wander, but the people that post to them are active. If people were't active, then this forum would die.

I agree with Wayne. The person posting the question would be the one to refocus the topic in person. Unfortunately, it's hard to do in a forum such as this. It's not the moderators fault, his job is to keep things from getting totally out of hand, and his only real "control" over people is to censor or ban them. I have found posts on other forums that often refer to this one as some sort of dictatorship. I am sure that whatever action was taken to cause those feelings was done after much thought by the Moderator.

I always try to focus on the good things in everything I do. I like that I can come on here and ask any question, and usually within a day, I have at least one good explanation or suggestion. I like the fact that there are regular posters, and it has expanded my veiw of the hobby in general.

Any of the questions regarding the political or administration part of the hobby will develop a thread gauranteed to go off topic, or at least to wander. It is inevitable. If this wasn't the case, we wouldn't need to have them in our lives. I think society in general is made up of those that want more rules, those that are fine as things are, and those that don't want any. And any post regarding any change in the way MAAC is run, or clubs, or whatever will have a sampling of these people.

Bottom line for me, this hobby draws from all walks of life, and that is what really makes it interesting. It's not so much the planes I build and fly, but the different people I consult, advice and argue with.

Canhos is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:28 PM   #14
RCC Junior Contributor

Some good points in this discussion. Very professional.

If no debate is allowed, there is never an opportunity to correct mis-information. It festers beneath the surface.

For example, Keith, on many occasions, has done an exceptional job of providing fact to debunk incorrect opinion. The recent discussion that spun off into HQ staff job descriptions was a glaring example. Keith reminded members that a study comissioned by the board on wages and job descriptions was completed, effectively ending a very negative spin and provided readers with some good fact.

Without the opportunity to debate that issue, those same incorrect opinions would still be spinning around at club level and accepted as fact. If people are posting it, they have the wrong information and that is more damaging than some open debate.

..... and it's more entertaining.

Marc Sharpe
Sharpy205 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:58 PM   #15
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Greg P

Would you like a flower.

I agree with the Peej, you can't see my face either when I try to push some of your buttons. Variety is the spice of life.

In my family the opinions on politics vary a great deal and we have heated debates about different issues. At the end of it all we are still family and we get over our difference of opinion. It's actually really stimulating to hear and defend yourself against someone elses views. It makes you think.

If I wanted to be somewhere I could agree with everything everyone else said I'd join the Harri Krishnas. That is now that Waco is gone.
What goes up.
Seafury is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:50 PM   #16
RCC Junior Contributor

There are always threads like the repetitive, "Did you get your MAAC Mag yet" for those who don't want to have to think too much.

Seafury points out the stimulation of debate and defense of your position. Exercise is good for the mind........keeps it pliable.

Marc SHarpe
Sharpy205 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:29 PM   #17
RCC Contributor
I am: Andrew B

'et al'

As I said... I have no issue of stating fact.... but.. when it gets personal and a mud slingng fest, then we have lost the focus of the forum.

Food for thought.
Canadiank-9 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:58 AM   #18
Randy Brown
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Randy Brown

One thing i noticed when it comes to heated battles..most on here are all MAAC issues

To me it would have looked better to open up the maac forum again so it moves back there and off the General RC Discussion

just a thought

Randy Brown
MAAC 45752L
Team Airtronics
Randy Brown is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:40 AM   #19
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Ralph B

Disscusions would probably be more effective as far as feeling the out the opposite opinion on chat not written forums.Most modelers are modelers not creative writers.

The topic gets sidetracked when someone thinks they were slighted only to realize that there was no intent to slight anyone in the first place.

Chat being in realtime would be more effective.People can resolve issues right there and then.They would probably think twice before speeking out in a way as to not offend but to get a point accross.That doesn't seem to happen in written format.

I think this would help in keeping these forums peacful and for it's original intent of being fun.
I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
Groucho Marx

Maac # 60449
bigguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:53 AM   #20
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 10
Originally Posted by bigguy
Discusions would probably be more effective as far as feeling the out the opposite opinion on chat not written forums.Most modelers are modelers not creative writers.
And some of us can barely type! In chat I would never get a word in edgewise! By the time I got a response typed, the chat thread would have changed topic three times.

Actually that may not be bad, as I would have very little opportunity to put my foot in my mouth, so to speak.
Dave Holmes

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.