2006 Nationals - Page 20 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 11-30-2005, 07:02 PM   #191
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Mike Clemmens

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
So what you are saying is that when this event was sanctioned, [just recently I assume?] the folks at MAAC, and the MAAC office where the paperwork is processed, already knew that the bid to hold the "MAAC NATS" was being withdrawn, and that those same folks would now be promoting this new club and its first event in 2006?
Mike Clemmens
50%300SFlyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:06 PM   #192
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Ted L

I agree with you Mike on the point that it is a shame that the parties involved could not resolve the issue preventing a successful bid to host the Nats. It is not a shame on one party more than the other as we don't know what went on behind closed doors.

On the point of MAAC sanctioning the Canadian Championships, it is my opinion that unless there are safety rules that MAAC has set out for all events that the new event does not meet, I would think MAAC would have to grant sanction as they would have no reason not to. If MAAC decided to not provide insurance coverage based on the sour air from the failed bid, I would think that would be a failure on MAAC's behalf to fulfill their responsibilities to the membership. One of the reasons for MAAC's existence is to provide insurance coverage for just such an event. If they did not follow through on this responsibility because of an "I don't like you" attitude then I would be greatly disappointed in them as a professional organization. I believe that MAAC will not do this. Where does that kind of behavior stop?

I don't know the reasons why the bid was unsuccessful, and frankly at this point I don't much care. This is an old subject for almost as long as I can remember. By that I mean the Nationals as a whole, not failed bids. I just want to have an event that is large in scale, open to all that want to enter and encompasses as many aspects of the hobby as there is interest to support. All of this taking place in relative close proximity to each other event.

I hope to attend next year. It would be an eye opening experience for me as I have been flying for sometime now but I have not flown at an event with such scale involved. I flew at the KW Scale rally this year. That was the biggest event I have ever flown at and I found myself to be quite nervous. It was very gratifying to successfully complete my few flights. First flight I could barely hold the sticks still. I can't wait to challenge myself to the level of the Canadian Champs. I am going to go more for the flying experience then the actual hope of winning. I would be entering the RC Scale event and my plane may not do well on static judging but I hope to score well in the flight portion.
Ted LeBlanc
Noin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:17 PM   #193
RCC Junior Contributor

thankyou , i will be looking after the scale portion of this event and will be glad to help in anyway i can.. This is specificly set up to help develop and promote pilots such as yourself, and of coarse the advanced competitors, let me know what i can do to help.

Usetobechair is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:26 PM   #194
RCC Junior Contributor

Originally Posted by ronnieo
Thanks Chuck for the info..............hopefully this will end this thread..........Jason........time to drop the ball...and hopefuly there will be a 2007 NATS.

Update........I see there's a new event by the Aeroclub Championshipsin Chatham instead?
Quite a load. Yeah, let's get Jason to shut this sham down now that we've accomplished what we set out to do, eh?

It should be crystal clear that the engineers of this 13page mess had this "new" event planned all along and never intended to comply with board request for required info as set down in the event guidelines. (Those guidelines were put in place to avoid huge losses similar to those incurred by World Scale 2002.) Morrison proved the guidelines are in fact, attainable, when he adhered to them and ran a successful World Glider event.

The intent of this entire orchestrated squabble was to discredit and outrage members to cause grief for the board and executive and to paint the architects as some kind of aeromodelling Martyrs.

They are not Martyrs. They are manipulators and this site and some of us were simply "used".

It's nice to see that it backfired for the most part with many here questioning and seeing through the "smoke and mirrors", chosing to listen to their BS metres, instead of becoming victimized.

......same o'l, same o'l ..................bye the usual suspects.
Sharpy205 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:26 PM   #195
RCC Expert Contributor

oh Sharpeeeeeee

How do you know that Keith had the SAME guidlines to fill as the NATS!!
Palmer Johnson
Jabba is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:41 PM   #196
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Originally Posted by Sharpy205
The intent of this entire orchestrated squabble was to discredit and outrage members to cause grief for the board and executive and to paint the architects as some kind of aeromodelling Martyrs.
My BS meter was going off the scale for this whole mess.
This was obviously orchastrated right from the beginning.

I'm happy to see that there will be an event, I'm saddened by the methods used by some to discredit and defame MAAC.

I hope the event goes well, unfortunately I won't be here for it.

I just wish you guys would quit with the crap though. It is an endless stream, and has become extremely tiring.
Ron Mattiuz

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:20 AM   #197
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Mike Gyger

Still reading, still learning. I get the sense that there is a little bit of BS happening with all this as well, just from what has been read. Granted, it's mostly opinions and not necessarily facts. Up until I read this very thread, I had no idea about the significance of the Nats. I have read about them in the MAAC mag in the past of course, but without the internet, I would never have had the exposure to the hobby on a national scale. I guess in an organization as large as MAAC, there is bound to be conflicts. It's unfortunate that it seems to be small groups that are basically in control here. I'm not meaning this in a bad way or anything, it's just the nature of the beast.

I'm sure an event of the scale of the MAAC Nats demands a certain amount of accountability from MAAC, and it's success is dependant on a group of volunteers to put it on (as far as I can tell). If the group of volunteers was unable to meet MAAC's requirements for a proper bid, then I do believe that the executive would show very bad judgement if they were to lower the bar during the bid process.

That being said, if the same group of volunteers decides to put on an event, on their own, without the MAAC name attached, other than a sanction, I have no problem with that. Maybe the experience will be good for everyone and all will learn from whatever comes of the topics in this thread. I'm thinking MAAC would review their bid requirements, and the group that had to withdraw their bid will learn from putting on a second event of large scale.

Then again, I may be too much of a positive thinker, and I'm living in a silver cloud if I think that we all just have a love of model aircraft of all styles and disciplines.

Canhos is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:47 AM   #198
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Chris R

Total Props: 1
I may be opening a can of worms here, but aahhh.

So where does the profits from the previous NATs go now?? I don't claim to know the whole story (all I know is what I've read here), rumours say there was a profit. Also, that it was kept in the SW Ont. zone. Since the bid has been retracted, does this phantom profit get returned to MAAC?? Or is it being used as seed money for the CAC event??

I'm not accusing anyone of anything. I'm just curious.

Chris Rebidoux
Gravity works. I've tested it......often!!!
Building: Jerry Bates 1/4 Chipmunk
Vancouver Vanguard 1/6 Fairey Firefly
planecrazy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:02 AM   #199
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Mike Clemmens

Please read from the link below from the MAAC website.

Now that we have seen the official position from MAAC on the proposal from the SW Zone to host a full Nats in 2006, a number of things seem quite obvious.

There is a serious difference between the Boards position, and the position of those who made the 2006 proposal.

The MAAC Board voted 12 to 1 “IN FAVOUR” of approving the application, [its obvious who the 1 Board member is] if the conditions as they were outlined, were met.

With the vast majority of the Boards members being very knowledgeable, sensible, and all elected individuals from their perspective zones, I for one firmly believe they acted in a totally correct manner, and I believe their position on this matter, is completely justified.

In reading Mr. Shaw’s comments from his last article as Zone Director in the Oct MAAC Magazine, he states and I quote:

“Hopefully, the next Zone Director will be able to turn this organization into an effective and productive ‘business’ and not just a glorified hobby.”

Its extremely ironic, that the proposers of the failed 2006 Nats bid, including Mr. Shaw, were unwilling to provide the Board with all the necessary ‘business’ information, in order to make their bid successful. Included in this, is the return of a stated $2000.00. profit from the 2005 Nationals. I guess Mr. Shaw’s statement was not intended for everyone…

The fact that these same folks have decided to proceed with their PRECONCEIVED plans to carry on with THEIR version of a full Nationals, as THEY believe it should be, without being accountable to MAAC in any ‘business’ sense what so ever, is… well… I’m going to stop right there….

Folks, this is truly a sad day for Model Aeronautics here in Canada. I suspect that all the possible ramifications of all of this, have not even begun yet…

I wish the organizers of this new club, and its new “Canadian Aeromodeling Championships” all the best. I dont want any part of it.
Mike Clemmens
50%300SFlyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:10 AM   #200
RCC Junior Contributor

I am glad to hear there will be an annual competition but I am amazed at the way in which it came about.
Consider this. The SW zone directors have made it clear that they will be transparent and have and will divulge confidential issues at the executive level in the interest of letting the members know what is going on. This has been done in the past prior to the exec finalizing and releasing the info. Now lets assume that if I was in the new Canadian aeromodellers club, discussing the up-coming National championships and released info on it before they were ready to make it public, it would have created an even bigger mess. I hope by this example the SW ZD can see that not all info should be made public and would realize that there is a time and place for releasing information to the rank and file. It is not that there are secrets in MAAC it is just a timing issue, which our ZD does not seem to realize. What is good for the Goose is good for the Gander.
Just my 2 cents.
sivle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.