RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread
Old 10-25-2005, 09:28 PM   #1
Second time around
RCC Pro Contributor

Total Props: 0
gold head OS

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Picked up a used OS 61 with gold head at the sale.
Seems to run okay but I see that this older model carb never had an idle screw .So how did they adjust the idle
Second time around is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:16 PM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dave
Radio of choice:
Airtronics SD-6G
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 6
Barbie an Ken

Maybe it is an airbleed carb?? Is there a tiny hole at the front of the carb?
cassat is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:46 PM   #3
Cecil Marshall
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Cecil M
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 1
OS Goldhead

If you mean"low speed needle" and if they are like the old (circa) 1970 OS Blackhead, the needle is non adjustable. They came with,I beleive, three different low speed needles and you installed the one to give you the most suitable idle and transition to your likeing..
I had one of the old"Blackheads" with this set-up...
MAAC #11945L
IMAC #3709
Instructor Soo Modellers
Cecil Marshall is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:45 AM   #4
Wayne MIller
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Wayne MIller
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9 JR 9303
# of RCs: 19

Total Props: 8
Carb Adj.

I have one of these engines and had purchased in around 1970. It is a good reliable engine but can be difficult to adjust. The idle is adjusted by an "air bleed" screw. That is, you adjust the high speed needle and then lower the speed to idle, then adjust the idle mixture by closind the hole just in front/top of the carburettor opening. I did a post here someplace regarding the adjustment. I'll look it up and put below, I don't know where I got it from, but whoever did the original - thanks.

Most of the modelers I knew replaced the carburettor with a Kavan or Perry carb but any good .60 size carb with the correct fit will work well.

The proper name for the engine is:

Wayne Miller

Adjusting Glow Engine Carburetors:

First make sure there is no air leaks in the fuel lines, make sure the fuel lines are not kinked and the fuel tank is not too far from engine. Ideally, the center line of the fuel tank should be in line with the fuel pick up on the carburetor. The tank “klunk” pickup should not block fuel flow, that is, it should never touch the end of the fuel tank when the nose of the tank is pointed straight up (test when tank is out of aircraft). Also if a pressure tap from the muffler is used, make sure the tap is not clogged and the pressure feed to the tank does not have any air leaks, nor is blocked.

With the engine level and running at full throttle lean the mixture (turn the needle towards the closed position, usually to the right) until the engine wants to stop. Then quickly richen the mixture (open the needle valve, turn to the left) until maximum RPM is observed.

At maximum RPM, continue richening the mixture (slowly turn needle to left) until you note a slight drop in rpm. This should be will be the normal operating mixture for the high speed adjustment.

There are two styles of low speed carburetor adjustments, that is, a 2nd low speed needle valve or an air bleed adjusting screw. If it is a low speed needle valve, the needle valves would be in line, and opposite each other. If you have a low speed air bleed screw would be to one side of the carburetor and will open and close an air hole.

These both are low speed, idle, adjustments and such low speed adjusting should be done with them alone, the high speed setting should not be NOT TOUCHED once adjusted as described above.

Low speed idle adjust speed procedure:

Close the throttle to the slowest steady rpm. From that, quickly open the throttle.

TOO RICH (too much fuel in mixture):
Did the engine run rough, burp, want to stop? If it did, the mixture is too rich.

If you have a low speed needle carburetor, this can be leaned by turning the low speed needle in (to the right) about 1/2 revolution at a time.
Repeat (after first opening the throttle to clean out any excess fuel in the crankcase) until the change from low to high is immediate and clean.
If a lower idle speed is desired, close throttle a little and repeat the procedure.

If the engine has an air bleed carburetor and the initial quickly opening the throttle indicates a rich mixture (as described above) the air bleed screw has to be opened a little. This will let more air in, try turning the air bleed screw to the left 1/2 turn at a time. Follow same test procedure as with the needle valve procedure when testing, that is, opening throttle quickly.

TOO LEAN (too much air in mixture):
If the engine ran smoothly during initial quick throttle opening the engine, then slowly quit. The mixture is to lean.

If you have a low speed adjustment needle, turn the low speed needle out (to the left to give more fuel) until the engine does not quit when the throttle is quickly opened,

If the engine has an air bleed carburetor, and the mixture is too lean (too much air) then turn the air bleed screw in, to the right, to limit the air in the fuel mixture.

When proper low speed setting is attained the engine will transverse from low to high smoothly time after time with no tendency to stop. If not increase the low speed rpm very slightly until action is proper.

If when an engine has been set up with this routine and you still see the problem you describe the trouble is probably in the fuel supply system not the engine, see the notes at the beginning.
Wayne MIller is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:11 AM   #5
Second time around
RCC Pro Contributor

carb adjt

Thanks Wayne for the great info .
I new someone would have the answer.
Second time around is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:20 PM   #6
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Jeff M

I have the same engine. I put a Perry carb on it. Problem solved.
Unknown airport with Cessna 150 circling overhead, identify yourself."
Frequentcrasher is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.