Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Angus
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18mz
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 5
Wing Loading explained?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Could someone explain what wing loading is all about, every model has this in the specs eg 23oz/sqft. What exactly does this mean? If I add up the area of the wing in sqft and multiply it by 23 oz's does that give me the total weight the plane can be before the wings fold up on a nice high speed dive?

any info is appreciated

Angus is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:48 AM   #2
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 10
My understanding is that wing loading is the weight (in ounces) divided by the wing area of the aircraft (in square feet) of the aircraft.

The lower the wing loading, the more lift you get at a given speed, and the slower the aircraft can fly. Conversely, a high number indicates the aircraft will have to maintain a higher speed to maintain sufficient lift to stay airborne.

A trainer has much lower wing loading than a pattern plane or a jet for instance.
Dave Holmes

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:06 AM   #3
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: kevin w

Total Props: 1
My (crude ) understanding is the same........but then I start thinking about bipes,and the affect frontal area has on speed .........and then there are multiple engines
IMAA 27023
IMAC 3710
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
earthquakes.........but today there are more people in the way.
Kevin McGrath is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:28 PM   #4
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 0
Wing loading is just as it is explained above. Wing loading is what keeps a 600 ton airplane flying.

The lower the wing loading, the slower the stall speed, so the plane will fly and land at much slower speeds.

Higher wing loadings will cause a plane to have a much higher stall speed, so it will need to fly faster and will land much faster. Usually the higher the wing loading, the more spare shorts you need in your field box.

When talking about bipes, we need more power not because of the wing loading, but because of drag.

And multi-engines are due to a combination of a few factors, namely drag, wing loading and power loading. Not to mention design issues when dealing with available powerplants...but lets not get into that
Pilot: Test Flight Ok, but Autoland is very rough.
AME: Autoland not installed on this aircraft.
Muldoer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:26 PM   #5
Wayne MIller
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Wayne MIller
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9 JR 9303
# of RCs: 19

Total Props: 8
Wing Loading

You may want to go to the list of acronyms etc. at:

This has a definition of wing loading and other useful information.

Hope this helps.

Wayne Miller
Wayne MIller is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:42 PM   #6
RCC Supreme Contributor

Total Props: 0
Wing loading is simply a number indicating (in our case) how much work each square foot of wing has to do in order maintain level flight. A lightly loaded wing can do more work at slower speed than a heavier loaded one. all other things being equal...but they are seldom equal. Flaps, slats, slots, and efficient airfoils can be used on highly loaded wings to make them perform equally as well at slow speeds.

Like all numbers, wingloading can be manipulated by counting in the area covered by the fuselage. Some manufacturers even count the horizontal stab area (even though in a lot of cases, it is providing negative lift).

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:06 PM   #7
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Keith Morison

Total Props: 11
but then there is the wrench that an airfoil can throw into the mix ... different airfoils will have different sweet spots for efficiancy based on wing loading. I have had a couple of gliders that needed ballast in order to fly well. (in no wind)
Keith Morison
MAAC 24909L
Morison Communications - Publishers of Model Aviation Canada
Morison is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.