Question about ESC for AXI 2208/34 with 11.1 volt pack - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Closed Thread
Old 11-02-2005, 09:05 PM   #11
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 10

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by Lord Kimbo
Let me reword my original post:

How do you know what ESC to put with what motor/battery combo?
I would like to know as well.
Dave Holmes

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:19 PM   #12
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
using a Jeti-Hacker master-18-b-flight on my axi 2208/34 with a 10X3.8 apc slow flyer prop.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:37 PM   #13
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Mike Gyger

Total Props: 0
I have little experience with electric planes, but I've dealt with some big power motors. I'll try to answer the rating question.

You always want to meet or exceed the rated draw of a motor when you control it with a switch. If your motor says it draws 8 amps, you need an 8 amp ESC minimum. Yes, you could use a larger rated ESC. it is basically a switch. The only disadvantage I know of with going bigger is 2, maybe 3 things. The first would be price. The second would be physical size and weight, and the possible 3rd would be any extra current it may draw from the battery. If there is any differece, it would be negligible i'm sure.

I think the larger ones will allow you to draw more for your BEC circuit and allow you to drive larger/more servos.

So why go bigger? As has been stated the price difference between a small one and the next size up is not all that much. And as far as I can tell, they are like receivers. They will be swapped from plane to plane occasionally, and you may want to drive a bigger motor.

Hope that is a bit helpful, and I hope it's accurate!

Oh, I just reread your post. Everything you do as far as sizing will be from the motor/prop combo you go with. The battery and the ESC are set up around the motor draw. You want a bigger mAh battery and keep the voltage the same? Motor draw won't change, flight time is just longer.

Good Luck
Canhos is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:54 PM   #14
RCC Apprentice

The combination of battery voltage + prop size/pitch will determine what the amp draw of the motor will be. Programs like or Motocalc can help determine the best combination to use. In my limited experience, I think it best to get an ESC with a continuous Amp rating that is at least equal to the static thrust of the motor/prop combination that you want to go with. ESC's will also have a max Amp rating that they can sustain for anywhere from 10 - 30 seconds or more, depending on the ESC. So if you pinned the throttle you might actually exceed the normal Amp rating of the ESC temporarily but wouldn't do it any damage.

One other reason for going with a larger ESC than necessary is to allow the use of additional servos. Most ESC's that have a built in BEC (battery eliminator circuit) have a limit on the number of servos that can be handled. This might be 2-3 on a small esc, or 4-5 or more on a large ESC.

monty_11 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:00 AM   #15
Terry Gauvin
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Terry J
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 1
The reason you should match the current rating of the ESC to the motors current handling ability is that most ESC have an overcurrent protection circuit where they actually shut down when/if excessive current is seen. This acts like a fuse in the power system and prevents damage to the motor and controller. As mentioned earlier the total current the motor will draw is a function of the battery and prop combination used. You could easily power and prop your 2208-34 to draw 20 amps if you wanted to but it would not last very long. If you used a 20 amp controller in this situation the controller could handle the current draw and the motor would destroy itself. An 8 amp controller would shut down indicating you were pushing things too far.
DX18 Stealth, H9 Inversa 33, H9 33% Edge, H9 33% Decathlon.
Terry Gauvin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:51 AM   #16
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Steve H.

Total Props: 2
Makes sense Terry but, a motor is only 3 gallons of fuel and if it is a new setup I believe one should check everything after a couple minutes of flight. I could see my self hovering above the deck , first few flights with a 4D setup, and blip, ESC shuts off 'cause I have too much pitch and bang, hits the floor and depron confetti Would rather find out by heat that I am over doing it and adjust accordingly. In the end though, I am very new at this electric stuff, you are probably right
Hughes500E is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:13 AM   #17
Lord Kimbo
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Adam Woodhouse
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 4

Thank you guys. This is getting to be informative.
Adam Woodhouse
MAAC# 27503
Lord Kimbo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.