General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 12-22-2005, 08:38 AM   #11
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Peter M.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 37

Total Props: 15

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!

I feel your pain when it comes to service and support to our hobby, by distributors. I too have noticed a general decline in the "in-stock" availability of the items that I order - it makes me wonder if the stuff I need is so weird or unusual that it would rarely be in stock. Maybe Iím expecting too much? I'm not ignorant to the fact that it takes a great deal of money (and warehouse space) to keep in stock the thousands of R/C items that we use, but that doesn't make me, the customer feel any better - when I need an item, I need it now, not in six weeks when and if it might be available. What I find extremely helpful and user friendly is websites configured like the Tower Hobbies website. When I look for an item from Tower Hobbies I can see a picture of the item, get a technical description and immediately know if it's in stock, before I place the order. If itís not in stock I can research an alternate product. In my opinion it is one of the best sites in the business - Canadian hobby distributors are you listening?

I would like nothing more than to go the LHS route. I get no greater pleasure than actually holding in my hand the items that I wish to purchase. Unfortunately I, like hundreds of northern modellers, donít have that luxury. I live in North Bay and to the best of my knowledge there is no hobby shop north of Barrie (well, thereís one in Sudbury, but my personal R/C aircraft stock puts his to shame Ė his shop is more into model trains). I do visit hobby shops whenever I have the oppertunity.

Regardless, Iím well into the building season and already looking forward to next spring when we can again fly (in relative comfort). I wish the new hobby shop in Kitchener all the best.

Wishing all a Merry Christmas and prosperous new year.

Peter Merkel
MAAC #22527

Murphy was an optimist; fly safe and have fun.
Midair is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:44 PM   #12
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Al O

Total Props: 0
New Hobby Store

I guess I'm lucky.Buildind a 76 Lazy Ace from scratch and I deal with Ideal Hobbies in Barrie and they had every thing I needed when I walked in.I forgot a few things and phoned a tole free # and it was at my door two days later.I think they are top notch.Just my feelings.Thanks.

Al O'Neill

copilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:30 PM   #13
RCC Contributor
I am: kevin b
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 1

Hi Ed,

How about trying a LHS instead of mail order. I deal with Skycraft Hobbies in Burlington. They have a huge inventory and are very helpful.

I think that skycraft is WAY over priced. But the prices are starting to come down.
x-planker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:44 PM   #14
I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-16
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 16

Have you tried phoning an LHS like Ideal or Hobby Hobby? those guys do mail order all the time and they usually are buying from US distributor who has the ability to stock more I guess.

Even when Hobby Hobby doesn't have something I need he can usually get it in a week. Now if you are looking for the shinny new items that are listed in the magazines as new products I think you wiill find no one ever has them when the mags say they are due for release.

Perfect example is the GP Yak 54 that was supposed to be out in December. GH has it listed yet the Great Planes site doesn't even say it's out yet.
Jim Daly
IMAC Sequence Committee Member
Your Friendly Neighborhood SouthEast Zone Director
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:12 AM   #15
Ed Smith

Hi Ed,

How about trying a LHS instead of mail order. I deal with Skycraft Hobbies in Burlington. They have a huge inventory and are very helpful.
Hi Dave,

I do use Skycraft, this time around though they did not have what I wanted. So I went to Great Hobbies. There was nothing out of the ordinary, receivers, balsa, covering material. It was a decent order in excess of $500.00. Did not make any difference though. I had to wait two months for it and when it arrived it was screwed up. I ordered bulk balsa, five packets of 1/16 x 4" x 48". What do I get? five packets of 36" balsa. The invoice of course charges for the 48". Have you noticed mistakes like this are NEVER in the consumers favour. G.H. corrected the mistake promptly with compensation for the return shipping charges, but I still have the hassle of packing and shipping back the fifty sheets of wood I do not want.

This nonsense is not exclusive to the hobby industry. We have just refurnished our living room. We had to prop up a brand new couch on an old 2x4 I found in the basement. One of the legs did not fit. It took a week for a "Technician" to arrive and fix it. I could have done it myself in about five minutes, but why should I?

It goes on and on. Buying anything is no longer a pleasant experience.

Ed S
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:48 PM   #16
Bryan Hewitt
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Bryan Hewitt
Radio of choice:

if you need balsa why not drop into Trillam balsa now
located in Delhi and pick out your own.
i was there last week and picked up a 1/5
scale glider that i had barry laser cut for me
and some nice balsa
30 Argile st
Delhi, ont
519 582-2221
e-mail me direct at for any questions
thanks Bryan
Bryan Hewitt is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:21 PM   #17
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Mike B
Radio of choice:
JR 9503

Trillium Balsa Limited
300 Argyle Avenue, Delhi, ON N4B2Y1
(519) 582-2221
phattires is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:03 AM   #18
RCC Contributor

any up-date?
theres no place,like cloud base!
j-coles is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:20 PM   #19
RCC Apprentice
I am: Dan Speers
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 12

Grand River Hobby in Kitchener has a neat new sign...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grand_River_Hobbies.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	61551  
Dan Speers, Brantford
MAAC #42283
rcguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:44 PM   #20
RCC Contributor
I am: John M.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 5

The point made about dealing with LHS is a good one in my opinion. They are there when you need something in a hurry and often go a mile or two to get what you want.
Ancaster Sport Flyer... "your attitude affects your altitude!"

Last edited by JohnM; 10-20-2009 at 05:45 PM. Reason: grammar
JohnM is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.