Hot Deals at your favourite Crappy Tire - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 11-06-2005, 08:03 PM   #21
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Bob D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG
# of RCs: 1+

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I've never actually thought that Crappy Tire was as derogatory as it sounds; these days anyway. That being said, go back 15-20 years where the quality of the Mastercraft brand was questionable at times. Since that time they are almost, if not fully, on par with Sears Craftsman tools; even carrying the same lifetime warranty. Someone did some great improvements there.

Now if someone goes and buys the new Jobline series, well, it seems to bring me back 20 years in quality but that's another story.

"Crappy Tire"? regardless, we all look for the weekly deals and most of us go there on a regular basic. I'd say a bunch of us here read the weekly flyer like it was an airplane mag; poring over the pages. Don't worry about the name; it's merely tradition in a name we all recognize and shop at.

Bob D.
Ajax RC Club
Indoor Aero-Choppers
Member of MAAC since I joined

Lighten Up, Life is waaaaaayyyy too short
Nuker is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:31 PM   #22
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Terry L

Total Props: 6
Okay, then, Canadian Tire

Lots of touchy people here, eh?

I have stopped going to my local NAPA and now go to Canadian Tire for most of my mechanical stuff, and it is okay but I stick to my comment about customer service. Many times I have stood at the parts counter, or at the end of an aisle, looking for ANYONE to direct me to the right place, or help in any way, along with 2 or 3 other guys. This Canadian Tire store treats its customers the way the bigbox stores do. This is my experience, in this store, so I must blame management, as I always do when poor service is the norm.

Regardless of the earlier justification for "old guys" working in the plumbing department, I fall into that category. I was trained as a partsman, not a plumber: I have been involved in plumbing (hands on) and plumbing supplies for nearly 50 years, so what is the problem with my showing up in a plumbing department to help people find the right bits? Sure, the customers are DIY people (not just guys, BTW), but as a partsman, I know where to look, and save them valuable time. Problem with that? Besides, maybe us "old guys" no longer have the endurance to handle the hot/cold weather on a jobsite. I can hardly wait for some of the critics to get "old", and tell us that THEY can't handle it anymore. :P Sure the bucks are big out there, but it is often seasonal, and us "old guys" are more fragile than we used to be. Sorry, this ran on longer than I wanted it to.

Canadian Tire is truly a Canadian success story, and I applaud them for it. However, I do wish they would pay less dividend to their shareholders (in fact, they do little to help the company; there money is gone like morning fog in July if the stock ain't producing 15% or more), and more to their employees.
TLyttle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:15 PM   #23
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Greg P

Yes and its the same old catch 22 for the owners/management. If they put experienced salespeople at the end of each isle everyone would be howling about the prices. Its their fault though.

I seem to have to keep repeating the message that you don't ride first class on a coach ticket. Its true for everything.Seems to be a lot of people in this country that don't see it that way.

The Canadian Tire store I visit was built in our neighborhood 30 yrs ago.
I could not start to list the things I've purchased there including stainless steel fasteners, life jackets, fishing gear, gps, tools, and lots of little things I'd never guessed they carried.

It's been damn nice having it close by. The quality is good on a lot of it and the price is reasonable. You can return things hassle free if you need to. They let me dump my used oil in their bin and they are open Sundays.

I do take offence to the blatent stereotyping of Scottsmen but we'll let that one slide. They have been a member of this community long before Wall Mart and Revy/Rona. Not that I have a problem with either of those two "big box" stores. Supply and demand, obviously there is a group of people who will fight through the crowds to save $1 on a badly made shirt.
What goes up.
Seafury is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:29 PM   #24
RCC Contributor
I am: Ed P.

Canadian Tire Corporation: My favourite store for sure & Canadian eh!
No hassle returns, I pay the same price as anyone else does. Some of these other auto parts stores you don't know how much they are going to charge you this time. Seems like different price every time!
no such thing as too fast!
rcjetguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:40 AM   #25
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Years ago some Canadian comedian mentioned Canadian Tire in his monologue. It wasn't derogatory but merely an observation after spending many years in the US. He said that it was truly a Canadian tradition (like hockey night in Canada used to be) where every Saturday any Canadian male over the age of 4 made the weekly trip to their local Canadian Tire wether it was for sports equipment, home or car repair or just browsing the specials and meeting friends. Before the big box stores places Canadian Tire and the old Simpson Sears were your Canadian everything store.

I pick up the gas coupons from the paper or the store and fill up getting 6,7 or 8 times the coupons. When I have enough I buy stuff on sale to give out as prizes. Just bought two of those $19 rotary tools and one of them will be a prize at the Sudbury NOOSE this year. Here is an idea if every member in your club donated what ever Canadian Tire money they could think of the extra prizes your club could have on hand for some of your events.

Dennis Pratt
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:47 AM   #26
RCC Junior Contributor

Trash and Can

What's Wallmart? I am proud to say I have never darkened the doors at Wallmart!
The only issue I have with CTC is that they pay their mechanics commission on new Auto parts. That to me is a gross miscarriage of something, more like putiing a cat in charge of the budgie cage!

Other than that even their gas is OK (7 times coupon value if'n you pay cash)

If ya deadstick three times just stomp on it...It's an easier death!
StevenHilton is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:07 PM   #27
RCC Supreme Contributor

I like Canadian tire too. At least they are Canadian and sell canadian goods. Alot of Canadian entrepenors made it because of this store. When I buy tools I always buy Mastercraft because of the no questions asked replacement policy.
hillmanr2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:40 AM   #28
Phil Harris
RCC Apprentice

Canadian Tire

AKA "Cajun Tire"

Philosophy Department, University of Woolloomooloo
Phil Harris is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:12 AM   #29
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Scott

I also look forward to the weekly ads and have numerous $ spent there.

My beef at the moment is trying to get info on the Macvision GPS for $400.00. Granted they sold out fast the first time around, but they have been advertised about 4 additional times (most recently last weekend) and there is no stock and none expected until Christmas I'm told. Why are they still advertising it then?

I never crash...I land with style!

Ajax R/C Club
Fodder is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:20 PM   #30
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Greg P

Not only do the prfesional series wrenches have a lifetime warranty but they feel as good in your hand as a Snap On. If you watch the adds you can buy them for half price and thats about the same as one Snap off wrench. You can also get it replaced on a sunday. Its all good.
What goes up.
Seafury is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.