Toronto "Hobby" Show - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 11-05-2005, 02:41 PM   #1
Ed Smith

Total Props: 0
Toronto "Hobby" Show

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have just returned from the Toronto "Hobby" show. It would seem that the "Buy it rather than Build it" syndrome is not exclusive to model avaition. The show was not much more than a toy display and only a few levels up from Toys "R" us.

Ed S
  Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-05-2005, 03:37 PM   #2
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Kevin P
Radio of choice:
JR 12xMV
# of RCs: 12

Went Friday night. I guess I wont miss my 12 bucks to much . The micro indoor planes where neat ...about it though

Kevin Perry
MAAC 29876

... Some people are like Slinkies ... Not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs..
KevinPerry is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-05-2005, 04:18 PM   #3
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Naomi SL

Don't know what happened .. This year's not many hobbyshops over there anymore. Hobby Hobby and Hobby Wholesale always there every year.. Pinnacle Hobbies not there this year. Aparts from some HPI car racing and indoor micro helis, and foamies flying, the usual arts and crafts, steam engines and boats.. Friday night crowd were that bad.. not sure today. But It's sure nice to meet a few of my old flying friends.. Pick myself up a nice set of dial indicator and digital verneer caliper. If you ask me if it's worth the $10.00 + the $2.00 discount.. I say it's not too bad considering it's once a year event. Darn bottle of coke is like $3.00 inside the hobby show.. Hopefully next year would be better than this year's show.

Click here to fill in your LOCATION!! in you profile

Reccession Hurts? Click here to vote

(\__/) (\__/)
(='.'=) (='.'=)
(")_(") (")_(")

Vital Stats:
Started R/C Airplane since 1975
Started R/C Helicopter since 2001
Heli_Gal is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-05-2005, 04:26 PM   #4
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 10
Got there Friday aftrnoon, covered everything twice or three times in 3 hours. Bought a Mk II quick charger from Hobby Hobby as I was told they would be on sale. It would have save me money to buy it at the store at full price and not pay the 10 bucks at the door.

Really not worth the time. The one time I have been to the London Swap meet was worth far more than this "professional" show.

Dave Holmes

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-05-2005, 05:57 PM   #5
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 26
Does no one else remember when Ted Curl branded it as The Toronto Hobby and Craft Show in the mid to late eighties?

That's when I stopped going.
moo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:01 AM   #6
Randy Brown
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Randy Brown

Its sure no Craft Show this year.. my wife wanted to buy a few craft stuff there that always was show.. she said she could care less of ever coming back

Hey but for 1500.00 you could by a slot

Well back down the 401 to the show again.. gotta judge

Originally Posted by erg
Does no one else remember when Ted Curl branded it as The Toronto Hobby and Craft Show in the mid to late eighties?

That's when I stopped going.
Randy Brown
MAAC 45752L
Team Airtronics
Randy Brown is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:32 AM   #7
Ken Currell
I am: Ken Currell
Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo
# of RCs: 30+

Hobby Show

I went to the Hobby Show and the Flying Tigers Swap meet.

Those of you who didn't make it to the swap meet missed out on some of the best bargains I have ever seen at any meet anywhere!

In my opinion The Hobby Show just keeps getting worse every year.

The vendor I went to buy from wasn't there this year.
Ken Currell is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:46 AM   #8
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Dave V
Radio of choice:
JR X9503 / Spektrum DX18G2

Total Props: 4
As much as everyone complains about the Toronto show and I agree with the comments already posted, the show was packed. It's always packed. The worse the show gets the more people want to go. However, I did pick up a nice radio system at the Hobby Hobby booth making the trip worth it.

jake_027 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:26 AM   #9
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
I visited the show every day, since I had a 3 day pass.
I was trying to get ideas on how to plan for exhibiting in it for next year.

I think a lot of people compare it to Toledo and this is where they get disappointed.

Hopefully with the addition of more RC suppliers, the show can slowly improve again.

See you next year, and look for some exciting new stuff.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:33 AM   #10
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Bob D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG
# of RCs: 1+

I went with some specific products in mind; researched (looked on the website) that the vendors would be there and walked out with everything I wanted and had on my list, at a great price. I met quite a few friends and contacts there as well and got a chance to shoot the bull.

Yes I found it smaller this year but I personally got everything I set out to get so I'm fine with it. To put it in perspective on even some basic supplies, CA runs about $12-14 for 2oz right now on average. I got 3 x 2 oz for $22 at the show so my ticket was paid for right there and I got my winter building supply. Even two rolls of monocote from Hobby Hobby at $12.50 vs $17.50 covered the ticket price. (but honey, I didn't have any of THAT color )

The money I saved on the kit I wanted (yes a kit, not to be confused with an ARF ) and a bunch of servos was just gravy.

As has been said, it isn't Toledo but it isn't advertised as such. If something or someone wasn't there that you had hoped, why not email the hobby show (Ted Curl) and offer "constructive" comments/feedback. I personally would have liked to see more vendors just for browsing (and I might have spent even more) I also missed the train setups. They didn't sell anything but were real neat to see. Comments might help improve it for next year. You won't know unless you try

Just my $0.02

Bob D.
Ajax RC Club
Indoor Aero-Choppers
Member of MAAC since I joined

Lighten Up, Life is waaaaaayyyy too short
Nuker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.