RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Closed Thread
Old 11-06-2005, 09:06 PM   #1
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Mike Gyger

Total Props: 0
Advice on Twin motor setup plz

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have a twin. It's designed to run on 2 .40 2 cycle engines. I'm 90% convinced this has to be changed to electric. Problem is, I don't just want to have the motors turn in one direction. For reasons that are to deep to explain here, at this time, I would very much like having the motors to be capable of "reverse thrusting". I don't want to vary the pitch, as it is impractical with this model. I just want to reverse the motor rotation. I'm not needing full thrust, so the inefficiency of doing this is not a concern. Here's what I've come up with so far, I just need some help getting the right sized motors.

The reversing thing I think I've found a solution for. I'm planning on using a rccar ESC with reverse. I see they have them for brushless motors now, so I can stick (I hope) with a brushless setup. I'm not sure if the plane motors have timing though. I have read at the Novak site that in order to reverse the motors, they need to have 0 timing. I have no clue what that means! If someone can tell me if plane motors will work, I'd be forever grateful!

Second problem is the props. This is a semi scale, already framed up airframe and wing. I am not willing to redisign the thing, I just want to repower it. Problem is the nacelles. I have 11" max between the centreline of the nacelle and the fuse. What kind of motor could I install in here, and have a 10-6 or 11-6 3 bladed prop? I think I'll be limited to around 12 volts, as I'm using the car ESC.

Efficency, weight and all those frivolous things, I would like to disregard. I know this plane will not fly for a long time on electric, and it's not going to be a rocket. I think the AUW with the glow setup would come out around 12 or 13 lbs. Less all that, i'm working with an airframe, that will weigh around 9 or 10 lbs, plus the weight of the electrics.

If any of you have any knowledge or educated guesses on how I can accomplish this, I'll be very grateful! I have prowled the net, but when I look at specs my brain goes fuzzy. I have to have a whiff of castor oil to come back to reality. There are so many different motors out there, my brain is a mess! I'm sure if I could be pointed in the right direction, my head can stay clear.

Thanks in advance

ps:I have posted this question before, but all I got for a reply was "built it as per the plans". That is my last resort!
Canhos is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.