Losing Weight in an over weight plane - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread
Old 11-08-2005, 09:59 PM   #11

Total Props: 1

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
6 1/2 lb limit. good price too.

voyager_663rd is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:09 PM   #12
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Ted L

Total Props: 0
I have 2 of those scales in my shop. I use them at the same time to give me some idea of how my plane balances laterally. I put one wheel on each scale at the same time and compare the weights. If there is a difference, it is obvious.
Ted LeBlanc
Noin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:04 PM   #13
RCC Contributor

Ask the die hard control liner fliers about weight. Every maneuver they conduct is in the vertical, so weight plays a big factor for them. They’ve been weighing balsa for decades.

On a whim a while back I purchased the Brodak Vector .40 size CL ship. I've been flying R/C a long, long, time and decided to give something new a try. Anyway, the box came, I opened it, and a stood agasp at what I thought was terribly weak, poor quality balsa. Well, it was the first time I'd seen really light balsa. And the wing rib design and fuselage design looked insanely minimal due to the amount of lightening holes, lack of structure, and general lightness incorporated into the design. I decided that I was way out of my league to try and ‘fix it’ so I just built it exactly per the plans and instructions. Kind of a first for me, I have a bit of a background in aviation. Anyway, I shook my head the whole time I was building it thinking I was building a Guillows kit or something.

Well, when it was finished and covered, the model turned out to be perfectly robust and weighed - get this - 2 1/2 pounds with its .40 engine and (dry) fuel tank! The designer used sound design principles to put the balsa ONLY where it was needed. The manufacturer used light balsa in the kit. I couldn't believe it. Flies great, plenty strong, and unbelievably light. I have a new respect for the control line folks and I learned a lot in the process.

MAAC# 19744
AMA # 777559
waynek is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:06 PM   #14
RCC Contributor
I am: Ed P.

I bought a scales about 4 years ago at Business Depot, weighs to about 5 lbs., for my kids science projects (well maybe for plane building too). I wouldn't want to do without it now! Yes even with balsa there is a great difference in weight. I'm using it currently on my scratch built model just to keep track of where the weight is being added. As I get closer to the end I will check side to side balance & put all the heavy balsa sheeting on the light side. I'm sure it's going to be tail heavy too so will put the lightest sheeting on the back. I'll probably make sure the front landing gear is really solid, it won't cost me any weight penalty. If I screw up & the plane comes out tail heavy, well I have lots of room to move the batteries back!
As far as lightening the tail, I think it was Jim in a previous post last year commenting on scratch building, who mentioned using the TAR principal. Take a look at it , change it a bit until "That's About Right"!!!!!!!!!!!!! But you really do have to know what you're doing when reducing the strength of some structure.
I'm using the "TAR" principle all the time right now in my latest scratch building project! It's coming out just the way I want it!
no such thing as too fast!
rcjetguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:50 PM   #15

And that goes back to my "load-bearing" statement. It's not just a matter of making holes, they have to be made in the right spot so as not to compromise the structural integrity.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:23 AM   #16
RCC Contributor
I am: grant

loseing weight

I purchased an old topfight thunderbolt, a few years back.. We did fly it, but was so dog on tail heavy, I had to add something like 2 pounds to the nose.. I tore it all appart, and started rebuilding it, and was dumbfounded at the weight of the wood, in the tail as well as the poor building practises of whom ever it was that constructed it, as well as the poor kit design..
Anyways, I rebuilt all new tail feathers, changed them from slab to built up, and I rebuilt, and replanked, everything from the back of the wing, to the tail, useing as strong of balso where needed, and as light of a sheeting I could find.. I also changed thickness of the sheeting... was sheeted with 1/8 hard balsa, and I sheeted with 1/16 light weight balsa... since the plane is to be glassed, I haven't really lost a lot of strenght, here..
But one change, I did make, was to the nose... I moved the fire wall, approx 1 inch further forward There is no noticeable difference, to the plane, as the cowl hides this anyways...

so aside from slecting lighter sheeting, and being carefull as to how mch glue to use, etc, u can try playing with engine locations, if it is possible, and useing a heavier engine as well... I am planning on a 91 4 stroke, for it, as well as my other war birds..
Hope this helps....
happy flying
juice90 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:49 PM   #17
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: ID

Len, check out this thread. Its not a Corsair, but this guy seems to be on to the right way to remove material to lighten the load.
See page # 3

"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them … into the impossible." - Arthur C. Clarke
2thelmt is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:51 PM   #18

interesting as to how much can actually be cut/holed away.

Thanks Ian. Got it bookmarked.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:20 PM   #19
RCC Supreme Contributor

I'm not an expert either but i know some simple rules from construction. generally structual pieces are wider in the direction of the load force. an example is a floor joist in your house. It is wide in the load bearing vertical plane and narrow in the non load bearing plane(2x12). When put a 2x12 under load the top is compressed and the bottom is stretched. The center is neither compressed nor expanded. This is why all holes are put in the center of load bearing joists. Keep all lightning holes in the center of any structure. The size of the hole is up to you as you are the mechanical engineer of this aircraft.
I hope this makes sense to someone else besides me
hillmanr2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.