Another dead lipo... - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Closed Thread
Old 11-15-2005, 01:58 PM   #11
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0
All replies are very welcome...

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
First of all I would like to thank all of you for your comments, Ted especially I really take no offence to the tone of your written word, as the heading says every bit of advice I can gain from this will help me and hopefully make me a happier and safer modeller.

I really do have lots to learn regarding the use of Lipo's and I am sure that many other novices also are going to come across this in the future, it appears that the use of Lipos is now a common event in the sale of RTF heli's and planes and I consider my self lucky that I only wreak my battery and not my garage or home by my lack of knowledge when it comes to charging and handling these things.

I think this is a very important thread and perhaps one that should be stuck at the top of headings so as many people with a lack of knowledge of these things can find help for from you guys as easily as possible.

I am now considering changing my power source to NiMH as I have a few power packs that may suit my heli, although with a lack of flight time. I am also thinking about buying a new Lipo and together with all of this advice I have received form you all, I hope to be safe and have a long lasting relationship with my new battery.

I do have another question and forgive me if it is stupid...
My fired E-sky lipo was a 3 cell 11.1V - 1000 mah I have seen many variations around of the 11.1v 1800mah and 2400mah etc ...what difference would this make to my model if any?. would my existng e-sky lipo charger be able to charge one of these variations even though the mah rating is different ?..

I also have a 12V 0.1amp battery charger designed to plug into a 120v power source (originally to charge my motorbike battery) would this be a good power source for my E-sky charger ?..

I really want to try and ask the right questions and get things right before I attempt to do this again...

Thanks again for all your help, and I have found this board an incredible wealth of knowledge for a beginner.....

Kind Regards Paul.
foolsgold1965 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:54 PM   #12
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Ted L

Total Props: 0

The bennefits of lipo batteries are good enough that they are worth using. I use them in my eletric stuff as well. They are very safe if used properly. I am not sure that you should abandon them yet. NiMH is somewhat heavier and has far less capacity for the same physical size pack as a lipo.

You need to get a 12V Power Supply. Your motorcycle battery charger is not a good power supply for the charger because it is not a clean power source. Thats what I have been told, not sure exactly what it means but I don't use one because of the advice. I bought a power supply for hobby use. Now that can be quite expensive, mine was over a $100. However you can use a computer power supply, I just sold one to someone for $10. They are usually not as capable as a proper power supply but they will likely work for you, for now. There are a number of threads that will give you the details about how to use a computer power supply, some of them need to sense a load on 1 circuit before they will activate the main curcuit. This load could be something like a fan or a light, something like that.

As far as the MAH rating on a battery. It reffers to the capacity, kinda like gallons in a gas tank. The higher the MAH rating the more gallons in the tank. Now, the MAH rating also plays another important roll in determining proper battery selection. Lets talk about your first lipo battery with a 1000MAH rating. When you plug your battery into the ESC of your heli and fly it, there is a load on the battery, meaning it is doing some work for you by turning the rotors and powering the radio components. This load can be measured by a Watt Meter. It is measured in AMPS. 1000MAH = 1.0AMP. Now most battery packs have a sticker on them that should tell you the maximum load or discharge rate. For example if your battery had a discharge rate of 8C, this means you would take your "C" which reffers to Capacity and mutiply it by 8, because your your battery said 8C, 8 times the Capacity. So if you do the math that means your battery could have handled a discharge rate of 8000MAH which is 8.0AMPS. Now I am not familiar with your particular model and the accompaning equipment, but if your battery was the stock battery then it would have been sized appropriately for that heli. I would not stray to far above that MAH rating as it may be to heavy in physical weight and I would not go under that MAH rating to be sure that the new battery can handle the amp draw/load. Most new batteries now can handle more that 8C, I just used that as an example.

Again, I am not familiar with your charger so I am not sure how it works. If you have the manual for it, you should be able to find out if it can charge other batteries safely. When it comes to charging lipos the rule of thumb is to charge them at 1C. Meaning 1 times the capacity. In your case with the old battery, you would charge it at 1.0AMP as 1000MAH equals 1.0AMP. Now if your charger does not give you the option of setting the charge rate then it may do that automatically or it may have a fixed charge rate. If it is fixed you will be able to charge other batteries as long as they are larger than your old one. However they will take a much longer time to charge. The charger should say on it somewhere what the charge rate is.

Just wanted to add and I really do mean this, there is no such thing as a stupid question. Especially when you are dealing with something like this. Just be sure to read what is posted and if you don't understand it, ask another question. It is very important that you do not get the mind set that you have bothered us or are being stupid. This is a board where people come to ask questions and to GIVE answers. I ask my fair share of questions here too. Pretty soon you will be helping out with the answering part. Also, remeber we don't know who you are so even if you are embarrassed to ask a question you think is stupid, who cares, we don't know This is the perfect place for that.
Ted LeBlanc
Noin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:44 PM   #13
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Steve H.

Total Props: 2
LiPo's are the best for sure, good posts guy's! Keep on reading, keep on learning Paul, definitely worthwhile.
Here is another good starting point:

Good knowledgeable friendly guy, I also believe RED is a member here to!
He also answers many questions as a moderator on the RCU site here:

Another link:
Get answers and read problems direct from one maker

Never be afraid to ask, and if/when you don't get the answer you need ask again
Hughes500E is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.