Warbirds Step-by-Step Scratch building for beginner - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread
Old 11-14-2005, 09:18 PM   #1
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
Warbirds Step-by-Step Scratch building for beginner

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!

To occupy the winter season, I start a scratch building project, which includes:

- Step 1 - Main idea
- Step 2 - Adapting and creating the plan
- Step 3 - Construction: Preparing all the parts
- Step 4 - Construction: Assembly
- Step 5 - Electric installation
- Step 6 - Covering and fine-tuning

My main objective is to share the "on going experience" in this Forum by describing (with photos and schemas) my step-by-step construction process.

My documents (plan, construction description, step-by-step photos) are free to download. So, even a beginner will be able to follow the methodology and easily make the same project.

My idea is to create an easy and rapid building plane (few parts, easy mount, rapid construction) for indoor and (small) outdoor areas. So, as it's a running project, this post will be updated frequently.

Project Charter:

Wingspan: 24 inch
Weight: under 8 once
Material: Balsa wood, Blue foam
Power: electric
Channel: 3 (Motor, Elevator, Aileron)
Building: easy and rapid, even for a beginner
Plane: Mustang P51D *

* Note: I begin with this plane because I love it. But, I will describe other projects in this post: P-39 Air cobra, Me-109, Yakovlev Yak-9 and Nakajima Ki84a "Hayate".

At the end of the project I'll provide (free for download) the complete detailed step-by-step *.PDF project document and plan. Feel free to email me at eloas71@hotmail.com if you have any questions or comments. I am a french speaking man. Sorry for my poor and bad english writing

Step 1 - Main idea:

One morning, I had the idea of scratch building a warbird based on a "home made" plan. I choose this option because I would an easy and rapid building process with few parts to assemble. This allows generalizing the construction methodology for other projects. The other reason is that I want a small plane in order to be able to carry it in a small box.

1.1 The concept
So, I take my quad ruled pad, my paper pencil and begin to design a draft of my vision in order to figure how I'll organize the different parts. The objective in this exercise is to evaluate the number of parts, the materials etc...

I obtain a very rough draft. In this draft we can see all the different parts (the goal is to be under 40 pieces). See the scanned schema (P51D-schema-11-draft) below:

The construction is relatively straight forward: The fuselage is composed of 2 sides with fuselage doublers. The top of the nose and the rear of the fuselage will be made in blue foam. For the wings, I plan to use 4 ribs for each wing. The hole between each ribs will be probably filled with blue foam. The bottom skin of the center wing will be made with 1/16 balsa sheet. The ribs will be assembled with 1/8 leading edge and 1/8 aileron and trailing edge. This is a global point of view. At this state of the project, this is not a definitive solution.

1.2 The planification and evaluation of the solution
Then, in Paint shop Pro (or other Graphic editor) I make a more detailed and clean schema where we can see all parts with more description. This is for figuring the solution before creating the final plan. I use this detailed schema to plan how many balsa sheet (size), foam I need and to fix in my mind the solution for installing a removable wing system. In this schema, we can count 41 parts (some part are considered as one). But depending if I fill the hole between each ribs with blue foam for the wing, I can have between 35 to 40 pieces for the puzzle.

See more detailed schema (P51D-schema-12-detailed) below:

1, 2 - Fuselage sides 1/16 balsa wood
3 > 7 - Fuselage doublers 1/16 balsa wood and 1/32 plywood for the motor mount
8, 9 - Bottom of the fuselage 1/16 balsa wood
10 - Top of the nose made from Blue foam (used in construction)
11 - Top of the rear fuselage made from Blue foam (used in construction)
12 - Bottom Rear cowling made from Blue foam (used in construction)
13 - Bottom of the nose made from Blue foam (used in construction)
14 - Bottom skin of the center wing 1/16 balsa wood
15 > 17 - Elevator and stab 3/32 balsa wood
18 > 19 - 3/32 balsa wood
20 > 27 - Ribs 1/16 balsa wood
28, 29 - Aileron 1/8 balsa wood
30 - Leading edge 1/8 balsa wood
31 - 1/16 balsa wood
32 > 37 - Hole between ribs (front wing) filled with Blue foam
38, 39 - Tips 1/8 balsa wood
40 - Trailing edge 1/8 balsa wood
41 - Canopy modeled from a piece of plastic bottle (more detail about the technic in step 4)
A - Removable wing system: The wing will be fixed with a pin (front) and a screw nylon m3 (rear) through the Rear cowling and the wing screwed on a metal nut m3 in the bottom fuselage.

The completed fournitures list (description with size and quantity) will be detailed soon.

Step 2 - Adapting and creating the plan:
Home made scale plan is coming soon.
Eloas - Canada
Eloas is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:24 AM   #2
RCC Noob

Updated: Step 2 (Warbirds Step-by-Step Scratch building )

Step 2 - Adapting and creating the plan

Hi ! Here is the next step...

21 Grab some Information
Before beginning my home made plan, I have to grad some documentation on Internet or in magazines, revues about the Mustang P51D. I need 2 things: The real specifications of the plane scale 1/1 and a couple of 2D photos for the fuselage and wing shape. You can find a lot of information on the web or on revues or magazines... What I found by doing a rapid search:

Dimensions of the plane:

Span: 37.04 Feet (Which give me 444.5 inches)
Length: 32.20 Feet (Which give me 386.4 inches)

Pictures of the plane:

See pictures P51D-Shape.jpg for the shape and P51D-2DDrawing.jpg used for the extrapolation of the dimensions at the right scale. See picture P51D-Dashboard.jpg for the dashboard (I'll use this picture for fine tuning the inside canopy in Step 6 - Fine tuning)

The shape (picture P51D-Shape.jpg)

2D Drawing (picture P51D-2DDrawing.jpg)

Dashboard (picture P51D-Dashboard.jpg )

22 Extrapolate the dimensions and scaling
I know 2 real dimensions, the span and the length. But I need others important dimensions, the height of the fuselage at different points, the width of the wing (center and tip), the thickness of the fuselage for the nose and the canopy. How I obtain these dimensions ? By extrapolation.

Wingspan 1/18
scale 1/1 Span = 444.5 inches
scale 1/18 Span = 24.69 inches (444.5/18 >> Near 24-3/4" the wingspan I want)

Fuselage Length 1/18
Scale 1/1 length = 386.4 inches
scale 1/18 length = 21.46 inches (386.4/18 >> Near 21-1/2")

Extrapolation for the wing width at the center 1/18
Calculations: As 21.46 inch ('1/18') correspond to 386.4 inch (real size) for the length. I take the length of the fuselage on my printed (Letter format) 2D drawing picture (see P51D-2DDrawing.jpg). I obtain exactly 10 inches. Cool... So to obtain the wing width at the center scaled to 1/18 I have just to multiply the dimension taken on the 2D view picture by 2.146 (21.46/10). So 3 inches for the width give me 6.44 inches at 1/18 scale (near 6-1/2").

scale 1/18 wing center width = 6.44 inches (Near 6-1/2")

Then I repeat the same operation for all dimensions I need based on the 2D view picture...

Note: This is just as a sample. As I am more comfortable with metrics (millimeters) dimensions, I prefer take all my dimensions in millimeters. But in the final plan, I'll give you the dimensions in inches.

So in conclusion, to determine the scaled size and shape for designing the plan we need almost 3 things: The real wingspan and length size of the plane and a 2D view of the plane (wing, fuselage top and side views).

23 The final plan
The plan is divided in two pages: the first is the plan for assembly (wing, fuselage). The second is the cutting plan for all the parts (Ribs, fuselage sides etc...).

NOT YET COMPLETED. It take a little bit more time for me to complete the final plan because I have to create, scan it and to prepare a *.JPG full size of the plan and a *.PDF document of the plan, which allows interested persons to download it and easily print it. So BE PATIENT.. It's coming soon.
Eloas - Canada
Old 11-16-2005, 12:57 PM   #3
RCC Expert Contributor

A very cool thread. It will be interesting to follow your progress.

MAAC 50249

Planes, Pedals, and Motorcycles! (In that order!)

I stopped being politically correct when I found out that some people were offended by it.
nosedive is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:33 PM   #4
RCC Master Contributor
I am: jean c blouin
Radio of choice:
hitec polk spektrum
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 2
Good idea, sure will help quite a few new and not so new modelers

MAAC 5057 L
Jean. C. Blouin
CFI Club Aeromodeliste de l`Estrie
Skype jean.blouin
skypupnut is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:06 PM   #5
RCC Noob

Thanks you very much. skypupnut, nosedive

I try to covers and describes the project in the most simplest way for the beginners by this step-by-step approach and methodology.

I am working on the plan and taking a couple of photos for the next party of this thread. This thread will be updated more frequently as soon as the plan will be completed. I think the version 1.0 of the plan will be available in the middle of the next week. Depending the decisions I will take during the next steps (assembly, electric installation etc...), the plan will be slightly updated during the project.

When we'll be on the step 3, this thread will be more dynamic and more interesting.
Eloas - Canada
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.