Closed Thread
Old 11-17-2005, 01:51 PM   #1
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Gary A.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 40

Total Props: 0
Tips for Internet Deals

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Well I think it's time we started a thread about Internet deals. Perhaps we could all list some tips we have aquired(usually the hard way) that could help others understand the process or what to expect. Please don't mention specific deals or people as we should keep the flaming on low....LOL..
I'll start it off with a few reoccuring ones, no particular order;

1. When you ship anything with Canada Post, pay the $1.00 fee and get a tracking number and I believe it also carries a minimum of $100.00 insurance. They use to do this on small packages you sent, but not any more, apparently. At least when your asked,"where are my goods" you'll have a tracking number and have it insured just in case. Oh and Canada Post shipping rates have gone way up so before you offer to throw the shipping in for free, better check the price out.

2. Everything used is for sale for a reason. Not always a bad reason, but if you expect perfection buy it new. You are ALWAYS taking a chance buying something used. Naturally if someone says something "works" it should at least do that, but possibly not up to a level as a new one.

3. Try to describe your item accurately and pics are the best. If you can't see it well enough in the pics ask for more. If they won't send them, then pass, no matter how good of a deal it seems. The term "New" is way over used. If it has been run, bench run, flown, taken out of the box and played with, or generally used in any way, it is NOT new. Of course the word "new" is usually either preceeded by other words such as nearly,(nearly new), almost, like, looks, so read the ad carefully.

4. When making a transaction with someone, the two people should keep each other informed of what is happening. A simple email keeps everyone happy and content that the deal is proceeding without a hitch. Please check your emails regularilly during a transaction. Tell them when you send the money order out, tell them when you received the money and when you expect to send the package out, tell them when the package was sent out. Basically the two people need to keep each other informed. I believe one week is a reasonable time frame to expect someone to both send the money out and for the other person to send the goods out after receipt of the money. Now that you have a tracking number on the package both buyer and seller can see where the goods are once they are shipped!

5. Shipping into Canada and using UPS from the US is COSTLY. They add on their brokerage fees and they kill the price of the goods you thought you saved a bundle on. I have had good luck with the US postal service, but they will only handle packages up to a certain size.

Well those are a few tips and I'm sure I'll think of others. Of course there is always exceptions to all of the above, but these have come from my own personal experiences, both good and bad. Feel free to add on your own tips.
Over all I'd have to say making deals over the net has been a good experience, with lots of good bargains and having made a few new friends, but it never hurts to be cautious, especially when your spending your hard earned dollars.....Gary
ridergary is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:22 PM   #2
Ken Currell
I am: Ken Currell
Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo
# of RCs: 30+

Hi Gary

That's a great start.

Anything mailed to Canada now has a $5.00 minimum handling fee added by Canada Post. Kills the deal even more.

Usually you also have to pay tax on the item too.

When you post your item try to use the correct forum and state what you want in the subject area of the post.
Ken Currell is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:44 PM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 26
so read the add carefully
I find most people don't read messages through and often fail to proof read their own messages (i.e. ad not add).
moo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:41 PM   #4
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ron O.

Total Props: 33
"Anything mailed to Canada now has a $5.00 handling fee added by Canada Post. Kills the deal even more. "

I stand to be corrected, but is this now not been changed to $7.00?

reo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:48 PM   #5
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Alex D

Its still $5 for regular parcel packages, I think $8 for items shipped express. That was up until last week at least!!
MAAC Member #75939

TRex 600N Pro FBL, TRex 600E CF, T-500E GF, T-Rex 450L 6S Dominator, TRex 550 DFC, DJI Phantom, DJI 550 H33d, DJI S1000 Z15
Heli3dflyr is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:43 PM   #6
Ken Currell
I am: Ken Currell
Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo
# of RCs: 30+

More tips

If you decide not to accept a deal offered to you let the other party know about it.

Any correspondence after you have a deal can be done with a personal message (PM), e-mail, etc.

Update your profile to let people know what part of the country you live in.

You don't have to give your address, you can give the city, town, or area if you wish.

Ken Currell is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:16 PM   #7
I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-16
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 16
1] Please keep Wanted items in the Wanted section...

2] Decide which is the best Forum to post your ad in and choose only one. No need to post the same item in multiple forums.

3] If you are selling Airplane, motor, radio as a package best to choose the Aircraft For Sale forum.

4] If you offer to email pictures out you might just as well post them in the ad then you won't be inundated with 100's of PMs or emails asking for the picture.

5] If you are asking for Local Pickup Only, please indicate "where" local is.

6] Don't be affraid to make an offer on something at a price you feel is fair, even if the add doesn't say "Or Best Offer". You never know when a seller might just agree.
Jim Daly
IMAC Sequence Committee Member
Your Friendly Neighborhood SouthEast Zone Director
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:32 PM   #8
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

I am in transactions with Jim and Ted at the moment and before I go ahead I asked for the cost of shipping before sending funds. The time before was advertized as shipped and the gentlemen commented that he did not realize it was that much. It is not that I don't want to do the deal but as a buyer I want to play fair and not short change the seller.
Just received a parcel(small box) from the US for my lathe. Canada Post charged me $23.68 for it which was from Customs. $5.00 was for doing the paper work and the rest was GST. They marked my parts Bicycle although the shipper had it labeled for the lathe. Still cheaper than some other ways. UPS
John Davidson
Keep the shiny side up and the wheels down
Vulcan1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:36 PM   #9
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Ted L

As far as shipping from the states goes I have found DHL to be reasonable, very quick and free of parcel damage so far. I have not received a plane shipped with them but smaller items the size of a field box or there abouts have been fine.

When you advertise your item as Reduced, leave the original price in the ad otherwise people have no idea if you actually did reduce it or not.
Ted LeBlanc
Noin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:03 PM   #10
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dave
Radio of choice:
Airtronics SD-6G
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 6

I did not know that DHL was a carrier for out of country. I do
know that Purolator can become expensive real quick.
cassat is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.