General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 02:55 PM   #1
Dig it
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Dale I

Total Props: 0
Li-Po's and charging

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I bought a 2200mah Li-Po battery for my new Extra 300 and charged it up about 2 weeks ago. Since then I have used it for setting up the servo's and etc and the volt watch still shows 100% capacity. Is that normal? Do they keep there charge that well over time?

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:19 PM   #2
Noin
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Ted L

Lipos will hold a charge for a surprisingly long time. They do self discharge but at almost an unnoticeable rate. Thats the beauty of them charge them up now, if the weather sucks they will be ready when the weather is better. No time wasted waiting for a battery to top-off. Just grab it and go fly. Sweet isn't it? Welcome to the world of convenience.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:29 PM   #3
Youngguy
RCC Contributor

I am: Bruce B
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12Z & 18MZ

Total Props: 4
Absolutely. I have charged my Li Polys, also 2,200 Mah, gone flying and doing 6 flights, flew again two weeks later again 5-6 flights, without charging in between. Discharged the batteries on my Triton after and got 800 Mah out of the battery. The airplane is a DP Extra 330 with a full load of digital servos and the flights were all 10 minutes in duration.
These batteries are great for holding a charge over a period of time as well as being lighter than nicads or nimhs, the disadvantage is that you should remove them from your airplane when charging and they are senitive to changes in ambient temperatures. I have had them gain 1/2 volt removing them from a cool garage and driving to the field in the back of a warm van.
Also, I have not been able to get a good indication as to the number of cycles they will do and what the signs of failure are. So I watch them very carefully.
Youngguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 11-19-2005, 06:02 PM   #4
Dig it
RCC Expert Contributor

Well, alright then. Gotta love technology.

So, if they change that much with outside temp are they any good for winter flying. Say -10 and up?
Old 11-19-2005, 07:25 PM   #5
reo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ron O.

Total Props: 96
lipos

I agree with the rest in this thread.....the lipos are great. I use a 4400 mah on my TCU/pump for the turbine and two - 2100's for the receiver (with adjustable regulators) and I have flown up to 11 flights in one day without charging.

but....and there is always a but, isn't there?....it is recommended (and rightly so) not to charge these things unattended and to treat them with the respect they deserve.

Ron Oscar
reo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:30 PM   #6
reo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ron O.

Total Props: 96
lipo cycles

Also, I have not been able to get a good indication as to the number of cycles they will do and what the signs of failure are. So I watch them very carefully.

Bruce, I have heard the number of cycles with the lipos tossed around the 100 mark. I don't know how true that is but we know for sure that they will not last like the nicads do.

My personal experience has been that as they get 'tired' they will show lower voltage under a one amp load than they do when brand new. Not sure if this makes sense or not, just my experience.

Maybe someone wiser than us will fill us in on what to look for.

Ron
reo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:10 PM   #7

Total Props: 57
Re: lipo cycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by reo

Bruce, I have heard the number of cycles with the lipos tossed around the 100 mark. I don't know how true that is but we know for sure that they will not last like the nicads do.

My personal experience has been that as they get 'tired' they will show lower voltage under a one amp load than they do when brand new. Not sure if this makes sense or not, just my experience.

Maybe someone wiser than us will fill us in on what to look for.

Ron
Cycle life is dependant mostly on a couple of things...

overheating during discharge, allow pack to get no more than 50-55C during discharge
depth of discharge (80% discharge being the maximum recommended for long life)
discharge current, obviously the lower the better and certainly not over the rating of the pack.

100 cylces is yesteryear's stuff, the current 15C-20C generation packs (TP Prolites and such) are capable of 200-300 cycles if used properly, even in the huge stuff (10s packs) that we are doing (2500W, 65-70A draw) cycles are getting into the low 100's without problem. More or less double over last year.

RX's packs, should last for 200+ easily with proper care. So with 10 flights a charge thats 2000 flights.

As packs age capacity loss is what goes, voltage drop for similar load may or may not occur depending on the pack. Voltage testing (especially at 1A) is not the correct method to determine a dead pack, you really need to check the capacity and when you have lost 20% the pack is gone.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-19-2005, 10:25 PM   #8
Dig it
RCC Expert Contributor

What do you fellas recommend for a charger/cycler. I'm looking for brand name and item number if ya have it?

Thanks
Old 11-19-2005, 11:49 PM   #9
Canhos
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Mike Gyger

Here's some good info submitted by others here.
https://www.rccanada.ca/bb/viewtopic.php?t=18562

Here's a link to the 2 most common ones I've seen at the electric fields I frequent

http://www.electrifly.com/chargers/gpmm3150.html

http://www.hobbico.com/cyclers/hcap0280.html

I use the Hobbico one, as it was in stock locally and I had heard of it previously (I just returned to the hobby, and this was the first thing I bought). I've used it for my normal NiCad tx and rx batteries, and I'm also using it for Lipo's now. It can only charge at 2Amps max, so with your 2200 mAh battery, it's at less than max charge (most likely) and it can be used to cycle as well. I'm happy with it, but I know of others that swear by the Tritons. There are a host of dedicated Lipo chargers out there as well. I'm not 100% electric though, so dual function is the key.

A question regarding Lipos. Are they only at risk of causing a fire when charging/discharging. Are the packs considered "safe" or "stable" when they are just sitting there? I want to store them with my transmitter and stuff for when I'm on the road. Is this acceptable, or should they always be stored in a fireproof container?

Is a balancer worth getting for use with these batteries, will that increase the lifespan substantially?

Thanks for any input on this
Mike
Canhos is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:50 AM   #10
Dig it
RCC Expert Contributor

Is this the Triton one people are using?

http://www.towerhobbies.com/products.../gpmm3150.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in