beginner's EP glider - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Sailplanes / Electro-gliders Discuss quiet flight in Canada.

Closed Thread
Old 12-04-2005, 06:32 PM   #11
tony boothman
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
If you want to start with electric gliders sugest either a" back to basics",a very good easy to fly model that flys very well on 400 with 8/7 cells and 6/3 folding prop,I have two. 60'' can be flown in small fields.Also the Mini chalenger is the same size and can be got as a kit (don't think the back to basics can be got as a kit .Both are rudder,elv,motor.A good place to start.I fly them and up to a Grifter F3J open ship.But find a club and get an instructor to take up your model before you fly it.
If you can get to COGG's field I'll let you try mine,but won't be till spring now.Tony
tony boothman is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:32 AM   #12
RCC Noob

So I guess the common thread here is to get myself to a field and familiarize myself with the planes and the people involved in this sport.

It's nice to know that anyone interested (with or without a plane) can just drop by and get some friendly advice from flyers.

I'll most likely go visit the Brockville, ON club, and hopefully purchase a plane in the near future.
derikx is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:00 PM   #13
Jan Blom
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Jan B

A plane such a the Push E Cat,
or the Multiplex Easystar would be my recommendation as the motor wont get damaged after "incidents". They would still have soaring capability. Buy the best equiptment you can afford is you think you will stay at it, I see so many beginners have to upgrade within months, especially chargers and radio's.
Jan Blom is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:00 PM   #14
RCC Apprentice
I am: Bill C
Radio of choice:
hitec Aurora
# of RCs: 11

I agree with the comments about first joining a club, but also realise that this is not always an option.
For the past few months I have been flying a Unicorn flying wing made from Epp foam with carbon fibre reinforcing spars and stock powered by a 400 motor.
With the control throws set down its a ----- cat with increased throws it gets interesting. More to the point for a beginner pilot it will take an incredible amount of punishment.
I am using a plantraco rx and had radio failure,( loose chrystal, now soldered and end of problem) the wing dove in full throttle from about 60 feet, result, slight damage and flying again the following day. checkout the site.

I now use a A/C micro brushless motor wound 3 strand 28g 11 turns, my first attempt at winding, 13500rpm static with a 9x4 prop and a Kokam 1500 3cell lipoly battery. a normal mixed flight is about 35 to45 mins.

I love this wing and have lots of hours flying with it.
best of luck
To fly like a bird with radio control
honker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:06 AM   #15
RCC Contributor

Hi Derikx!

I'm Jesse, I am the Arnprior Radio Control Club Secretary. Check out our club at "" it is just 40 minutes west of Ottawa on high way 17.
We have three organizations within the club, a fly anything you want, a giant fly anything you want and a glider club.

Check out the site and you can contact us anytime you wish, maybe even come and visit, we'd like to meet with you...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	im000324-r_691.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	13007  
MAAC Member
Arnprior RC Club Secretary
Giants, Heli's, Biplanes, Gremlin's
I'll fly anything at least ONCE!!!
B-25 Mitchell (101")
jessy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:36 PM   #16
Hi Peaks
RCC Noob

Brockville club flies Tues nights at the High School in Prescott learn to fly electric inside & you will be ready to glide out side in the spring
Peter Birchall
MAAC 5081
Hi Peaks is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.