Build new wing or refurbish old? - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

View Poll Results: Brushless system
6800 9 64.29%
8000 5 35.71%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 10:28 PM   #11
Canhos
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Mike Gyger

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Steve, to redo your wing, clean it up, bleach the mold if you are worried about it, and then, once all the chemicals are dry, put a coat of Balsarite on it. It seals up the wood and makes iron on covering stick like crazy! A couple coats where the fuel damage was, and it should stick fine. There is a way to soak up the fuel before you seal with Balsarite, and somewhere someone has posted the various methods in this forum (not sure where, but I know I've read a few versions.

I've used Balsarite to fuel proof firewalls before, worked like a charm! It stinks like crazy, but dries quick.

Instead of just getting a wing kit, why not get a complete one. The kit shouldn't be much more than just a wing, and then you can make a shiny new plane!

Just a thought. I used to do wings as well, but after I built the third wing for my second trainer, I realised the fuse was all warped and weighed about 8 lbs. Nevermind the engine! I flew it like that for a while, but recently donated the wing to a new guy who had crashed, and turfed the fuse. A brand new Eagle is on my Wishlist for christmas!
(need to get a kit, so I can flatten the wing and enlarge all the surfaces!)

Good Luck

Mike
Canhos is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:13 PM   #12
Ken Currell

I am: Ken Currell
Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo
# of RCs: 30+

Hi

For info on oil soaked balsa go to this thread

https://www.rccanada.ca/bb/viewtopic....ght=oil+soaked

Cheers
Ken Currell is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:58 PM   #13
KC8QVO

Thanks Ken, Ill check into it. These forums are SO helpful

Steve
KC8QVO is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 12-16-2005, 08:27 AM   #14
Ken Currell

Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo

Hi

Glad to help you.

The one thing I noticed in the thread that I posted is a suggestion about using nitrate dope instead of Balsarite.

I don't know about Balsarite, but I do know that nitrate dope isn't (glow) fuel proof.

Cheers
Old 12-16-2005, 08:08 PM   #15
Canhos
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Mike Gyger

Balsarite is fuel proof. It says so on the can, and I've used it to do firewalls instead of epoxy. It's fairly cheap, I think I paid about 6 or 7 bucks (Canadian) for a can the other day. It goes a long way. I have done whole airframes before covering, and it helps with adhesion alot.

I also used it on my Cub before I tacked the Koverall to the airframe. It's heat sensitive.

Mike
Canhos is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:55 PM   #16
Bearly Flying
RCC Apprentice

I am: Don F
# of RCs: 27

Total Props: 1
KC8QVO: Why don't you repair and recover the original flat bottomed trainer wing and at the same time build a new, either semi symetrical or fully symetrical, wing to fit on your trainer body.
I have done that to an old Eagle II trainer and a low wing scratch built, Gives you a whole new handling plane with very little effort.
If some newbie wants to learn how to fly, strap on the original wing, as they progress in learning, you can convert easily to a little higher performance.
Bearly Flying is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:13 PM   #17
Noin
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Ted L

Scrap the old piece of crap and make anew one. Wings are preety important parts on an airplane and if they are not straight, strong and light they will not perform for you like they should. From the sounds of things this wing has long since paid its debt to you. Now you have the responsibility to give it a finall resting place in the local flying field's fire barrel. Burn that sucker and move on.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:57 PM   #18
KC8QVO

Well I think from the results of the poll Ill build a new wing. Ill try and fix up the old one as best I can just to have something else to slap on the plane. Ill work on a design in the next week or so and see how it comes out. I want to have either separate flaps on it or flaperons as well as a little bigger span. I have an electric 3D airplane, so Ill use that for the aerobatics and make my new wing for the trainer a flat bottom to maximize its stability - I want to keep that easy flying feel, just with a few more bells and whistles.

Steve
KC8QVO is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:28 PM   #19
Ken Currell

Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo

Good luck.

I hope you post some pics of the finished plane.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:47 PM   #20
Vulcan1
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

Sorry for asking but to me if you have the original plans and the wing is built up I would make a new one. Also the wing is 8 years old from what I read and it does not owe you anything. When rebuilding you can build what you need ie flaps,ailerons. How many hair line cracks or week spots are still in it as it was a trainer. How lucky are you because my first trainer was warming me up in 20 minutes.
John
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in