Styrofoam insulation as building material - Page 4 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread
Old 12-23-2005, 04:01 PM   #31
Ken Currell
I am: Ken Currell
Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Good description for cutting foam wings

That's how I do it, but I find it better to do it with two people.

I don't like doing it alone as I have to look back and forth as I cut to see if I am on the same mark on each side. Unless it is a small wing I can't see both marks at once.

With two people doing it we call out the numbers as we go.

If I am on number seven then so should the other person.

That way the wing is cut to the proper shape.

It's really important to do this if you are cutting a tapered wing.

For washout I raise the trailing edge of the wing rather than drop the front.

That way the front of the wing in straight and true.

By dropping the leading edges on a straight wing you are building in a slight amount of anhedral.
Ken Currell is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:04 PM   #32
RCC Senior Contributor

Hey, that sounds like a good idea. I dont know why I didnt think of that! I can probably do that right now with the stuff I have. Ill give that a shot when I am back in town. Until I make my CNC that might be the way to go, I am not sure when I will be able to get the parts for the CNC.. its a little on the expensive side at the moment.

For the templates can you use styrofoam with an epoxy coating to keep the foam from melting? There shouldnt be too much heat energy at the tips like that - enough to melt epoxy anyway.

KC8QVO is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:13 PM   #33
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Gord C

Total Props: 7
Afraid it will melt the epoxy, Steve, Even plywood doesn't last long. I would guess the wire is between two fifty and three hundred degree.
Tried for my kamikazi pilots licence. Flunked the test.
MAAC 5276
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:20 PM   #34
Ken Currell
I am: Ken Currell
Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo
# of RCs: 30+

That's why I use Arborite.

I cut close to the line and then use the disc sander an sometimes a file for spar locations.

The finished foam core will be smaller than the templates.

Check it out as setup on each bow is different.

Once you find the right setting on the variac for the bow you are using mark where the pointer is so you can duplicate it later.

That way you only do the setup once.
Ken Currell is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:59 PM   #35
RCC Noob

cutting foam wings wich are tapered can be done if you can synchronize de speed of the wire from the root rib to tip rib or vice versa and using a bow with tensioner and an adjustable power supply ,the rigth temperature should give you angel hair inside the core no smoke should be visible; work in a well ventilated room, i don 't think polystyrene fumes are good for your health,and provided that the template or templates are positionned at the rigth coordinates on the cores to be cut . remenber that the greater the taper ratio the slower the wire will be on the tapered(wing tip side) the more radiant heat per square inch or square centimeter of area the wing core will be exposed the less accurate the wing coordinate profile will be . you can always find nickel chrome alloy wire in hair dryer the broken ones of course the tinner the better but ther's a limit.
Camarda is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.