Honda engine - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread
Old 12-29-2005, 06:03 AM   #1
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
Honda engine

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
anyone out there using a Honda gx31 4 stroke ?
fliboy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:26 AM   #2
Ken Currell
I am: Ken Currell
Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo
# of RCs: 30+

How much does it weigh compared to a 2 stroke with same output?

That is what my prime consideration would be.
Ken Currell is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:33 AM   #3
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Gregg L
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

I have on that is converted,but never fired up.I have left it with the magneto so it is as heavy as it can get.I have read reports of the Briggs and Stratton in a balsa usa plane worlking well.These are not going to be 3d engines but super quiet and of cporse have the proper sound
We may have to work with them some,it took a while for people to learn how to prop a Quadra and the 4 stroke glow to get the best power from them

Started with nothing,got most of it left
MAAC 11800
Inroad is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:03 PM   #4
Mike Biedul
RCC Junior Contributor

Carr Precision does work with these, and makes conversion kits. They are at Save you some machining if you can buy hubs etc right off their shelf. Onece in a while someone in he US releases a bunch of new Honda engines onto ebay, but I've lost that link.
Mike Biedul is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:37 PM   #5
RCC Apprentice

im not using one but i do hear good things about this engine. try this thread i believe there is someone demonstrating a running honda on that site. take a look.
whatever you do DONT!! look down.
yianno is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:39 AM   #6
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Steven Daly
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 1
I picked up one of these about 4-5 years ago with the CH ignition.I think I was getting about 65 to 6800 rpm on a 18x6 Masterairscrew glass prop.I only did a few bench runs so I dont know what it can do with bigger props.I had to use a starter also.The cool thing about this engine is you can run it inverted(although you must store it upright I'm told).I will install this engine in a 1/4 scale Champ I'm sloowly working on...Oh and it weighs about the same as a US41 ,maybe a tad more...
Steve Daly
MAAC# 14007
SteveD is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:05 PM   #7
RCC Noob

honda engine

Got mine running , just need a prop hub. I'm going to put it in a 1/4 scale cub. I sent "Car" an email, asking what they would charge to machine the cooling fins and hub bolt lugs off the flywheel, and send me a motor mount and prop hub. They haven't got back to me yet. Got a good deal on "ebay" new engine $188 usd, shipped. I may just put a "CH" on it instead.

fliboy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:07 PM   #8
RCC Contributor
I am: Ronald R
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 18

I know someone using a Honda 4 stroke, around 31cc, but he doesn't use the net. He is putting it in a 1/4 scale WW I bi-plane. Should be flying this summer. If you want, send me an e-mail, and I will print it, and give it to him next time I see him."
ronljroy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:59 AM   #9
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Paul J

Re: Honda engine

I've been using a GX-31 for several years...on my wife's bike, . Eventually I'll have one mounted on my Balsa USA Nieuport 17. Should be a perfect (scale) match for that particular plane, using a biggish prop of course.

These engines can be run in any position, are extremely economical on fuel and are amazingly reliable and easy to start and have a nice quiet scale sound. They can be lightened up with an electronic ignition, but I'll leave the magneto system as is. It will still do its job in the "17" and will keep the costs down to a minimum.

A "conversion kit" for R/C flying can be had for around $75 at

I have another GX-31 on my mini-tiller and a GX-25 on my weedwacker. Super little engines!

Last edited by valhalla; 12-18-2008 at 02:53 PM.
valhalla is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.