Battery ? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Closed Thread
Old 12-30-2005, 09:35 PM   #1
RCC Contributor
I am: Kevin L
Radio of choice:
Futaba 14SG
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 1
Battery ?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
This may be a stupid question but here it is. What is the difference between AA and AAA. I know the AA is physically bigger but if both are 1.2V and have the same Mah rating is it just the size that is different or am i missing something?
Thanks, kevin.
stikflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:20 PM   #2
Ken Currell
I am: Ken Currell
Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 0
Is one NIMH and the other NICAD?
Ken Currell is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:45 PM   #3
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Eric T

Total Props: 2
You are right, it is just the physical size.

All Nicad and Nimh batteries are rated at the same voltage regardless of the size. (1.2v)

Due to chemistry, a Nimh cell will have about 1.5 times the capacity (MAh) of a similar sized Nicad cell.

Manufacturers pack different amounts and qualities of material inside a cell. The smaller cell may have more reactionable material inside resulting in a higher capacity.

You get what you pay for.
tech1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:56 PM   #4
RCC Contributor
I am: Kevin L
Radio of choice:
Futaba 14SG
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 1
Lets assume they are both nicad. I was just wondering about the size's because people are always concerned about the weight of their models and I was trying to figure out why you couldn't build your RX packs with AAA's instead of AA's.
stikflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:29 AM   #5
RCC Contributor

Take a AA battery and hook it to a flashlight bulb in series.

Take a AAA battery and hook it the same, run them both side by side on your bench or on a table, and wait...
The answer is in the light, The AA will be brighter, therefore lasts longeur.

You could get away with AAA battery packs, but you could not fly as long without re-charging...
Try it, you'll be surprised by the brightness of your AA when the AAA is almost to a dim nothing yellow light.

MAAC Member
Arnprior RC Club Secretary
Giants, Heli's, Biplanes, Gremlin's
I'll fly anything at least ONCE!!!
B-25 Mitchell (101")
jessy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-01-2006, 03:29 PM   #6
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Bob the Builder

It's called internal resistance. A smaller cell usually has a higher internal resistance (as a guideline... not a law... tech is always changing). The added internal resistance of the AAA prevents the same current from flowing as the freer AA. Another result of the higher internal resistance is voltage drop... the battery's voltage goes down lower under load if its internal resistnce is higher, which in turn results in even lower current output... so the AAA is actually providing the lightbulb with lower current AND voltage. When you multiply current and voltage you get power, so with lower current and voltage, the AAA is delivering much less power to the lightbulb (measured in watts).

If both batts are rated with the same mAh, then there's a 99% change the AAA is NiMh and the AA is NiCd.

For the ideal RX pack, you want light weight and large capacity and voltage capability (called energy density), all while maintaining a low internal resistance so the pack can give up the current without the voltage dropping. You can go to Sanyo's website and look through their different cell data sheets... they list weight, capacity, and internal resistance. IMHO, the most impressive one out right now is the 1950 NiMh... it can give up around 40 Amps!!! I use these on igniotions in big planes. For the RXs I use LiIon packs... very high energy density.
OverTemp is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.