Bending music wire? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread
Old 01-08-2006, 08:15 PM   #1
Jan Blom
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Jan B

Total Props: 0
Bending music wire?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
What is the proper way to bend this stuff, with or without heat? My plans say to heat but dont get it red . My knifemaker neighbor explained tempering to me but others have said its better cold in a bender.
Jan Blom is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:50 PM   #2
Ken Currell
I am: Ken Currell
Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo
# of RCs: 30+

There are different benders out there but which one you use depends on how thick the wire is.

I have never been successful at heating it before I bend it.

I have three different benders that I haven't used yet.

Two of them were bought in Toledo and one from either Lee Valley Tools or Busy Bee (not sure which).

To date I have used a hammer and a vice.
Ken Currell is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:10 PM   #3
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Terry L

Total Props: 6

Just be careful about the radius of the bend; seems to me the radius should be 3x the diameter of the wire (?). If you bend any tighter than that, it can and will snap, either during the bend, or on a heavy landing.

I never build anything that requires large-diameter wire, so this may be useless advice...
TLyttle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:31 PM   #4
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Karl Goinarov

Total Props: 14
I've used heat, to dull red, but do not cool with water it will become brittle and snap. let air cool
Kargon is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:54 PM   #5
RCC Supreme Contributor
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Robert
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 2

I have bended piano wire before using wise, pliers and my hands, they worked for me, and yes be careful with diameter of wire you want to bend, since few in early bands have snapped on me....

My 2 cents worth...

Do sign the petiton. We could Save our Connie CF-TGE, We still have chance, Once gone we will lose our History and Heritage forever....
Concordefan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:16 PM   #6
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: kevin w

Total Props: 1
I have bent wire up to 3/8 with a proper tool that I bought years ago and have used so many times I dont screw up very often these days.
Proper benders have a radius built in to the die part of the tool which drags the wire to a certain extent to form the curve and you must allow a little extra length of wire for this operation.
Dont have the tool?
Clamp another piece of wire lengthwise in a vise with the wire you want to bend vertical in the vise and clamped against the horizontal piece,then without heat tap it with a hammer to the correct angle.
Dont use too sharp a radius......good music wire is tempered and will fracture.
Heat will change the temper and is best avoided,IMO.
IMAA 27023
IMAC 3710
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
earthquakes.........but today there are more people in the way.
Kevin McGrath is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:08 AM   #7
RCC Master Contributor
I am: a Scratch Builder
Radio of choice:
JR 9503 & DX7
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 6
I always bend music wire cold. I have never had any problem bending it but I have never bent any wire above 5/32". I have used the vice and hammer method and now use a K&S wire bender.
Personally I wouldn't want to change the temper in the wire. That is why we pay the money for music wire in the first place.
The only drawback to music wire is you can't rebend it if you made a mistake. It usually snaps unless it was a very shallow bend. So measure twice and bend once.

If you want awesome, you have to scratch build it!
Tomahawk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:58 AM   #8
RCC Contributor

I bend up to 3/16" diam. cold in my vice. Since 99% of my bending is on the right side of vice, I rounded off the forward edge of the jaw with a file to reduce stress. Every bend is the same; clamp the shorter end of the wire in the vice, pull the wire toward your belly with your left hand, hit near the bend with a plastic hammer.
Bent is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:06 AM   #9
RCC Master Contributor
I am: John R
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 20
I guess I do a combo job. I usually clamp the wire in my vise and apply pressure to bend it with a free hand. With my other hand I apply heat to the area that is being bent at the radius with a propane torch. Surprisingly, you can control the radius of the bend by moving the location of the heat.

I never get it red, but I keep applying heat until I feel it start to give. I just keep feathering the heat to the bend until I get what I want. Works for me. Never had a failure.
John Kovats

aka Johnny Versatile

MAAC 65460

Hespeler Model Aviators Inc.
Cambridge Float Flyers

I don't have the answers, but I have a personal relationship with the Guy that does.
JKovats is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:02 PM   #10
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Mike Gyger

Alright, here's some info I've stolen from my current employer. I fix overhead doors. Now, previous to this experience, I always thought music wire had to be formed cold. Now, with my current experience, I will definitely try heating it up, Probably to super bright red next time.

When we bend up the ends for a door spring (we're talking big doors, where each spring is taking up to 800 lbs of load) the guy's ALWAYS heat em up to bright red. And these aren't small diameter. They can approach 1/2 inch. Often when one of the springs reaches it's "expiry date" (they have "cycle ratings") and breaks, the other spring will still haul the door up and down.

I think the key to the heating is don't accelerate cooling.

Canhos is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.