li-poly help - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Closed Thread
Old 01-23-2006, 11:56 AM   #11
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
GWS Brushless

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!

I don't know much about what electric motors but just want to share some information. I've read in the rcgroup forum that GWS will start shipping brushless motors to the U.S. They are working on brushless ESC as well.

The motors vary form $15 to $21.

Here is the link:

I'm in the same boat as Derrick as I have a P-51. The LHS warned me about getting that as a first plane. I should have listen to him.

alvin is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:08 AM   #12
RCC Apprentice

You certainly have some choices here.

Up front i agree with everyone else - Go Brushless!

having said that here are some options and caveats.

2 cell lipos brushed - buy a gws li-aware esc or a pixie 7p esc, keep the flying weight at or below 12.5 ozs and you will have a nice relaxing flyer that does loops and rolls on the stock 350 using the recommended 9x7 prop. Motors will burn out at the same rate or a little less then they are now. It will fly much better on 2 1200 cells than what you are getting on the nicads now (because it is lighter).

Cheap 2 cell charger at Zebra for 95cents
you will love flying with the light weight
you will eventually want to upgrade to 3 cells for more speed and power
your still buying those darned brushed motors regularly at what? $12.00
a pop?
eventually if you stick with RC your going to want 3 cell performance.
need to mod your plane to allow batts forward, or the CofG will be way
to far aft because batteries are wayyy to light.

3 Cell lipos brushed - purchase an esc as above but maybe use a 20p by Castle creations. You will need to drop your prop down a size to an 8x6 at the very largest on your current gearing ( stock 'C' GWS) you will need cells that can pull 10-12 amps continuous so something like a 1700 Etec or Apogee 1500 . Your plane will come alive with the extra power, will be lighter than it is on the nicads and fly incredible.

you will need a more expensive charger
you will replace the motor every 3-6 flights
you will spend a fair amount on a brushed esc
flies incredible for a while.....
to far aft because batteries are wayyy to light
as you might be able to tell, i dont recommend this, ive tried it, its very cool till the motor burns out, there is no warning or loss of power like you get now, it just stops. then things get intresting

Brushless - purchase a brushless controller above 10 amps min with brushless motor of your choice ( i have a himaxx 2015-4100 on 4.43 MAXX GEARBOX gearing with a CC 25 esc turning a 9x6 APC slowflyer prop and it runs awsome at about 12 amps)

expensive to set up at about 100 bucks for motor and controller
(but then again you need to buy a new controller anyway and they are
priced over half of the brushless ones. How many brushed motors add
up to one $50 brushles, you may have spent that already)
your going lipoly anyway and you can run 2 or 3 cells
it will also fly on your current batteries
more effecient than brushed, longer run times on the same batts
more power then brushed on the same batts
motor never wears out if you dont abuse it
must replace spur gears occasionaly because 3s is high torque
to far aft because batteries are wayyy to light if u use lipos

So i would say, if your just looking for a temporary increase in performance for a moderate price, go 2 cells with a new esc. (yes you can use ur current esc but at the risk of killing your brand new batts, been there and done that too, i dont recommend it)

But like the others have pointed out, spend it now or spend it later, if you stay with Electric RC you will buy a brushless sooner or later. It seems like a lot in one shot, you need a motor, esc, batts and charger all in one go, but you can always just buy the motor and controller and use your current till you can afford the next step.

Good luck.
Cass is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:35 PM   #13
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Wane T.
# of RCs: Lot

Hi Derrick I have the same two planes and from day one I have run both a kokum 1500, 3 cell and a 1340 Thunder power 3 cell, on the stock moters with no problem whatsoever. I did do a proper water break-in as this makes all the differance in the world. Iam using E-Flight and the Great Planes ESCs and they have been great. This summer I burnt out the stock moter in the Spitfire (over 150 flights) and will replace it with a park 370 I think, Only because I want more power.

Pietenpol Aircamper (1-1 scale)
Raptor .60
Byrons Eagle,G-45
lots of everything else.
Pietdriver is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:54 PM   #14
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Gord C

Total Props: 7
A good combo that can be had from Zebra Hobby is the brushless outrunner #2408-21 costs $22.50. I have one, among others, that works well. Comes with a motor mount that fits the stick mount in your planes. They show a Castle Creations Thunderbird for $ 40.10 ESC . At the field I use an E Flite Celectra lipo charger $50.00 from the local hobby shop. Batteries, Thunder power 1320 will give you a good run and plenty of poop. Hope this helps.

Tried for my kamikazi pilots licence. Flunked the test.
MAAC 5276
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:58 AM   #15
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Mark Meunier

I hope this option has not already been covered in the thread, but here goes:
- you can use the stock motor with a Castle Creations Pixie 20 controller, which is cheap and has lipo function.
- my experience with Formosa was that the Kokam 1500s balance nicely and give good flight times. Bonus is that they are cheap now.
- Brushless is better, and I fly brushless, but it is an investment. Consider the jeti Advance 18 for easy use and perfect size in these parkies we like so much. Also, the jeti is not that expensive.
Formosa inverted =
dadzilla is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:14 PM   #16
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Ted L

I have purchased some brushed motors called ST Turbo from the local GWS supplier. They are rated for 11.1V and are amazing when used in GWS planes and gear boxes. The advantage is that they are far better than the stock motor and allow you to step up to brushless slowly by purchasing the 3 cell lipos now and the brushless gear later. They drop right in with no gear box changes or modifications. I personally have these motors in all my GWS planes and a few spares. I have recently bought a HiMaxx motor for my Formosa that will be heavily modified and I need all the power I can get. Since I have made the step to brushless now I am willing to sell the spare ST Turbo motors I have if you are interested.

Don't forget to include the cost of a GOOD charger for your lipos as this is not a technology you want to fail. Lipos are a serious matter and need to be treated with respect. A good charger will likely run you about $150.00 CDN. Add that to the price of a few lipo packs and you are lookin at a lot of money.
Ted LeBlanc
Noin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.