Time Management - Page 4 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 01-26-2006, 08:38 AM   #31
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: ID

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
If only I could tone down my on-line poker playing I probably would get more done.
"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them … into the impossible." - Arthur C. Clarke
2thelmt is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:29 AM   #32
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Stephen J
Radio of choice:

time management

To each their own. That's what's great about this hobby. Steve
Stephen Johnston
MAAC 12138
sarawnty is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:04 PM   #33
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Peter M.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 37

Total Props: 15
Not too long ago I came to the realization that that my life had developed into an endless cycle of work, sleep, work, sleep...the fun part of my life had disappeared - but, no more. I have reached a point in my life, and career, where if I didn't get away to the workshop and build (or simply "putts" around), I'd probably go insane or vapour lock (AKA heart attack ). Building is my personal time, my quiet time, my outlet, my stress relief and as such I try to make a point of getting "away" on a regular basis. The things that I thought were important, those things that limited my hobby time, must now share my spare time with the hobby.

Soon I intend to retire. I firmly believe that regular activity and interests, like our hobby, are essential to a long and healthy retirement. When I look at some of the more experienced members of our club, those who have been retired for some time, I marvel at their stamina, their generally good physical and mental health and their zest for life - when I grow up, I want to be like them

I don't advocate eliminating all of life’s other activities and commitments, in favour of the hobby, but that a balanced approach is the best way to go.

Peter Merkel
MAAC #22527

Murphy was an optimist; fly safe and have fun.
Midair is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:47 PM   #34
Claude Paradis
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Claude P.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C and 9C
# of RCs: 20+

My work is generally 12 hours a day

I have three young kids who I must spend some time with

I have a beautiful wife whom I must spend some time with

I don't watch TV

When I do get into the workshop I am a prolific builder. The projects just about fly themselves off of the bench. However, I go in spurts. Lately has been one of my slow - no go spurts.

I have been finding lately that my biggest challenge or nemesis is actually RCCanada! I so enjoy the site I am actually spending way too much time browsing it. Other more important things are suffering.

At the end of the long day I can be rather bagged and seem to have been preferring to I end up calmly surfing a bit rather than going to the work bench. To make more progress in the workshop I am going to have to change that. That means unfortunately you are going to see less of me. Yeah, I will miss you too. BUT, spring is coming and the planes are a calling to get out of there boxes.

Claude Paradis is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:37 PM   #35
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Re: Making time for hobbies

Originally Posted by scaleguy
Originally Posted by byrocat
Oh well, better shut down the computer, tidy up for the cleaning lady and get some building time in before bed.

Have fun!
Ahhh tidy up for the cleaning lady? Isn't that what you are paying her for!
We hire her to CLEAN, not to pick up after us. Wednesday evenings (an hour or two at most), and we power through the house -- newspapers, books, clutter on computer desk, sheets, towels and bathmats, last run of dishwasher.

Things usually stay quite tidy for about a week....
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:00 PM   #36
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Re: Time Management

Originally Posted by cope
I was wondering how you guys manage your time when it comes time
for building.I find it difficult to find time to even put an arf together,let
alone build a kit or from plans.I really want to hear from people who
are still holding down fulltime jobs and not retirees.As I get older it
seems I spend more time daydreaming about what I should do,rather
than doing it.
Simple....no time, pay someone else to do it I have built virtually all my planes and am very proficient, but I hate it In the past when I know that time is an issue and I need planes ready for the season I have hired builders to do the work. In fact the model I flew in France at the WC's this past summer was professionally built for me as I was moving and getting married I simply did not have the time and resources to do it myself.

I have 3 new planes hopefully arriving in the next week...I have thought ahead and have all the parts required to construct it so that once I start nothing will delay me. Should take about 1 month to finish two of them to flying condition, working every day. So I set aside a lot of other hobbies during that time to complete the planes....then its flying season

Necessity breeds solutions

Oh ya, not crashing really reduces the amount of building time needed!
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-28-2006, 06:11 PM   #37
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jim McIntyre
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 1
Re: Time Management

Originally Posted by can773
I have built virtually all my planes and am very proficient, but I hate it
I always thought those pattern flyers were a strange breed, now I know for sure... they're sick!
MAAC# 12719
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere - (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).
JimMcIntyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.