Closed Thread
Old 01-30-2006, 12:44 AM   #1
RCC Apprentice
I am: Steve R.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 1

Total Props: 0
What size electric motor?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I'm getting very interested in this small electric stuff and need your help. I have this old Sterling kit of the Great Lakes special, 24" span, rubber powered or 020 for control line and even r/c,escapement . With the new micro equipment now what size motor would I need for it ? I don't want to go vertical or hover, just have it fly around in a scale manor. There are so many to choose from with all the different gear reduction drives and direct drives it makes it difficult to know what is the right one. Some body should do up a conversion chart for us newbies to electric converting glo motor sizes to electric power equivalent, any takers? I have a few plane ideas that I would love to convert to electric from glo but again what is the equivalent size electric ? Thanks guys...
foamfoils is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:23 AM   #2
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0
What you really need to know is the finnished weight of the model and then figure out how many watts you need to power it. So lets say your plane comes out with an all up weight RTF of 8oz, or half a pound.

(This is just a general guidline not written in stone for more info follow the link at the bottom of my post)

100 watts/lb = lots of power, aerobatics etc
75 watts/lb = mild aerobatics etc
60 watts/lb = mild flying/lazy

you dont want to go lower than that really. The throttle stick does have more that just one setting so you dont need to leave it Wide open all the time

So now divide the power of your choice by .5 (because your model is half a pound) and find a motor that can deliver that power WOT (wide open throttle)

it sounds as if you have chosen to go brushless but not sure either geared or direct. you can do either. Geared is good for variety of props and drive trains, (do you like to tinker?) while direct is limited to few props, much like glow but keeps things simple.

The major problem here is that the choices become endless, especially now with all the cheap brushless setups comming out.

Last piece of advice here, KEEP IT LIGHT. This is critical for small models in your chosen span, if the wing loading gets to high, even 100 watts per pound will not produce a nice flying plane (way to fast to maintain flight).

Good luck, and if your looking for more info on electrics i recommend http://www.rcgroups.com and try the electric begginers forum, and be prepaired to do some research. Suddenly you'll find you need more info on batteries (lipoly) and chargers and now the latest is balancers it makes for some great reading!

Good luck!
Cass is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.