Old 01-30-2006, 09:40 PM   #1
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Dave C
Radio of choice:
JR 9303
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 7
noise and big engines.

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Gentlemen: Iam presently flying a 50% spacewalker powered by a 3W 200. Our club {RCFCBC] has a 95DB. @10 ft. rule. I managed to get to 94DB through various add-on lawnmower mufflers, fastened to the basic homemade muffler, and going to a 32/10 3bl prop. My question is this: is it reasonable to expect an engine such as this to be measured in the same way as a .40 glow motor? We all know the sound characteristics are completely different between the two, especially up in the air. Any thoughts or observations will be welcome.
Cheers Dave.
Dave Collis
Pitt Meadows B.C.
maac 37241
mogman is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:23 PM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dave
Radio of choice:
Airtronics SD-6G
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 6
Noise from Toys

Well, ran into an annoyed neighbor on the old estate near a given club.
They insisted that the planes sounded like Bee's every Sunday morning.
Assume that relates to the 40's and 60's flyin around. Of course some passed the DB test and some didn't.
Then we get to the DA 100's and the ZDZ's in the giant scale ships. The only complaint was that the planes seemed to be flying very close( to the house) not so much noise related. So, more of a noise complaint on the smaller scale.
cassat is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:34 PM   #3
Ken Currell
I am: Ken Currell
Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo

Total Props: 0

It is difficult to answer that, but IMHO if the club has a noise rule the only way to be fair about it is to go by what the sound meter actually reads.

Otherwise it is just a judgement call and a matter of opinion and you might as well not have the rule at all.

Even though you may feel that the big engines are less annoying than the smaller ones it is only your opinion which may not be shared by a nearby resident other club members or bystanders.

The 40 size engine gives off noise at a higher frequency than a large engine. The lower the frequency of the sound the farther it travels. At a greater distance the large engine would measure a higher reading than the small engine if they both tested at 94 db at 10 feet.

I know several guys who are losing their hearing from failing to wear hearing protection around loud racing engines.

It's beneficial to all modellers to reduce the level of noise of their engines to a reasonable level.

The European system of measuring at 7 meters is a little less prone to different readings caused by accidently moving the meter closer or farther away from the plane during the test.

The club I fly at has a noise level of 88 db at 7 metres. It,s not too hard to meet.

A club that is attempting to defend themselves against a noise complaint has a better chance of being successful if they use a standard method of testing for all models.

Good luck
Ken Currell is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:04 AM   #4
RCC Contributor

@mogman,, the way in which you measure noise means nothing to the people that are annoyed with it

your best defence is to go and talk to the nearby people that would be concerned with your noise ,,most neighbours/landowners dont have AS great of a problem with noise if they feel they have some say in the matter or perhaps limits in relation to time frames etc

make no mistake ,,if residents in the area persist enough,,you will be gone ,,, defending your right to fly model airplanes against landowners isnt an option!

approaching those concerned is the best option,,once there scorned,they wont listen to any of your pleads

theres no place,like cloud base!
j-coles is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:24 AM   #5
Ken Currell
I am: Ken Currell
Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo

Our club has been at the same site for at least 14 years. It is in a Conservation area.

The local Conservation authority has had people complain about our noise and their response was to tell the people they shouldn't have been where they were in the first place. (they were hiking in a restricted area)

They defended us. Part of our agreement with them included a noise abatement program. They like us using the land we are on as they get revenue from it.

The club has also done other things with the local community in the past. Anything you do to get involved with the local community can only help your cause but it is up to you to show that you are addressing the noise issue.

Being pro-active about it helps. Post a sign at the field about your noise limits and enforce them.

Take the best of all the suggestions and use them to your advantage.

Flying sites are getting harder to find all the time. Keeping them is even harder.

Ken Currell is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:34 AM   #6
RCC Supreme Contributor

Our club is also having noise issues. If any of you guys knows how to get a 100+cc gas motor at or below 90dB please post how you did it. I know you can get a DA 50 on cans to 90db or less. Prop noise becomes a major factor at this size.
Imac # 4751
Speedway and Hobby
PTA Hobbies
hillmanr2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:38 AM   #7
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Originally Posted by hillmanr2
Our club is also having noise issues. If any of you guys knows how to get a 100+cc gas motor at or below 90dB please post how you did it. I know you can get a DA 50 on cans to 90db or less. Prop noise becomes a major factor at this size.
If you are not already running a 3 blade then you should start there
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:35 AM   #8
Randy Brown
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Randy Brown

A MTW canister works realy awesome on this topic
Randy Brown
MAAC 45752L
Team Airtronics
Randy Brown is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:50 PM   #9
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Paul D
Radio of choice:
Fubar S-bus2 -no lock outs :)
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 21
Hey Dave,

If you have made the noise limit with your set-up, why the concern? Is it too heavy? I suspect so when you have made it up from all of those pieces.

From what I remember of your Spacewalker, there isn't a lot of room for canisters - could you make room?

I just finished a project where I built a custom muffler for a plane with a DA50 out of aluminum. What I haven't done is measure it for noise level, however, it is definately less than the stock DA muffler a friend uses. I am please with the way it turned out but was a lot of effort to make.

Give me a call to discuss if you are interested.

Paul Dries
MAAC Jet Committee/JPO Western Canada
2L club executive member
Pauld is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:26 PM   #10
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Ross d
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 12

Hey Dave I feel your pain, Big can mufflers really destroy the appearance of scale aircraft.
Here in Kelowna we were just informed that we have about a 2 year lease left on our site.
However; as the new Golf course/fancy assed houses approaches and the new homes start to encroach our space we have been informed that we need to be more proactive as well as far as noise is concerned. Our club will start testing all models immediately and try to keep most of a possible 300 models still flying at our field. We were also told by our landlord that our annual lease payment, even though we have been great renters, does not persuade him to put up much of a fight in our behalf if complaints start coming other words we will soon be out and the pressure has really been put on finding a new site. Our location in the Okanagan is presenting a great challenge as we have too many mountains, lakes and a real estate boom that is making land a premium to find......
In hind site we attempted to start testing last year but the boys decided that over propping and mufflers were too expensive.......
Same old story, another field going away and a 100 strong membership wishing they would have thought a little different last year............
Any hints on DB testing or quieting down aircraft would be an asset to a club that is considering cancelling all events this coming year to maintain our site for as long as possible.........
See you in the Sushwap in the spring Dave?...........
Rosisco is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.