How to Finish my Kougar? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread
Old 02-07-2006, 09:12 PM   #1
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Jared L
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9Z
# of RCs: >10

Total Props: 0
How to Finish my Kougar?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I'm in the process of building my first kit plane, a Sig Kougar. I am trying to decide on how to finish it. I would like to keep it light, but I am not a fan of heat shrink film. Would a product like Klass Kote work for me? Can the primer be sprayed onto balsa, and then finished with the colour top coat? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jared
newfly is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:36 PM   #2
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Mike S

I actually have the same question. I have a Kougar that needs finishing. I am going to use Monokote on the wings but would like to paint the fuse. I am wondering how to seal the balsa before spray painting. (I am going to use Monokote paint)
Does anyone have any ideas?
MikeSac is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:38 PM   #3
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Mike Gyger

You can't just paint the balsa. It needs to either be glassed or covered in fabric first.

For your first finish job, I'd suggest you use Ultracote or Monocote. The process is relatively simple, there is only one step, and if need be, you can redo a section fairly easily.

Weight is not really going to be a big issue with any of the 3 techniques, if it's done properly.

Glassing can be messy, and very time consuming. It took me longer to do a set of floats with glass and paint than it takes me to cover a trainer.

I have also gone the fabric and dope method, and it was time consuming as well. It took me at least 4 times as long to cover with the fabric and dope as it would have to use an iron on film. The finish came out very rugged and solid, but I recently crashed the Cub, and the repair will take at least 12 hours of work to do, and 11 of it is patching the covering. With an iron on film, it would take a couple hours tops to fix.

Sig has Koverall available, which is the fabric, it has fairly good instructions on the process.

I think West Systems explains how to finish a plane in fiberglass (I'm not 100% sure about that though)

Both Ultrakote and Monokote have good instructions on their use.

Just a couple thoughts for you to mull over, I don't think I'm exagerating at all. I am a fan of all three methods, and I actually have 3 planes on the go ATM, and each of them are getting finished in a different way. I dread the plastic the least, while I hate it the most!

Good luck

Canhos is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:16 PM   #4
Claude Paradis
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Claude P.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C and 9C
# of RCs: 20+

Check my gallery for a few pictures and three lives of my Kougar.

Look -- a little extra weight is not going to bother this airframe at all. Weight actually helps it out alot on those windy days. The Kougar is capable of full flight envelope from quite slow to fast.

You can save alot more weight by just using lighter servos and smaller light engine than you will achieve by your other finishing methods. Keep it simple, just cover it in film.

The only covering advice I have is when it comes to the plastic turdledeck. For easy finishing I sheeted over the plastic with 1/16 balsa sheet using thin CA. I then just applied ultracote over the balsa. Worked very well for me.

If you are really concerned about weight then consider that this plane is really robust. You can easily get away with cutting a bunch of lightening holes in the side of the fuselage as well as in strategic areas of the foam sheeted wings.

In the end it is a Kougar. It is a simple but great flying plane. Do not spend hours and hours at this. Keep it simple, get it done, get it in the air, and enjoy for many many flights.
Claude Paradis is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:26 PM   #5
Ken Currell
I am: Ken Currell
Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo
# of RCs: 30+

I agree with Claude.

Good advice.

I heard it said that there are two types of aircraft.

In the beginning there are the lookers and the fliers.

Sooner or later they all end up looking like fliers.

Ken Currell is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.