one charger for everything ? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Closed Thread
Old 02-10-2006, 11:08 PM   #1
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0
one charger for everything ?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I've been looking around at chargers online and the ice intellipeak charger looks to be the best but I'm not sure it can charge 2 batteries or more simultaneously.

Is there a charger that charges every kind of pack on the market and can charge atleast 2 or 3 at the same time whether they are the same or not ?

I want to be able to cycle multiple packs of different types simultaneously.
kriskonway is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:40 AM   #2
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Moe N.

Hobbico Quick Field Charger Mk II I've had mine ofr three years, its given great service.

It's affordable and it works, there's more expensive chargers out there that will charge at higher amperage settings but thry only do one pack at a time. An example of this is the Multiplex MULTICharger Peak Charger DC I've had one of these as well but it got wet one day during a cloudburst, and that let the smoke out......

Check out Great Hobbies web site, there's a few more choices but I have no personal experience with them yet.

Salutations from the Pacific North WET!

S.P.A.D.s, Fibreglas & Balsa EDF's, Foamies, Brushless powered and nitro balsa planes, they're all in my hanger, just don't explain what it all means to the mrs, eh?
NorseHammer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:39 AM   #3
Claude Paradis
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Claude P.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C and 9C
# of RCs: 20+

Either the Hobbico filed charger MKII or the Hobbico Elite. They both will do two packs at the same time, Lixx Nixx. Limited to 3 cell Lixx and 10 cell Nixx. If you get the Elite you will also have the benefit of the cycler in it and smart set charge rate. You can know what your packs actually have for capacity and also know that you are not overcharging them with too much current if you use the smartsets.

I recommend the Elite. Does everything and is compact. It is the same size as the MKII so you can bring it with you and also use it as a field charger.

If you do not need a cycler then the absolute best bang for the buck is the MKII.
Claude Paradis is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:18 AM   #4
RCC Apprentice

Could someone tell me why I might need a cycler as opposed to just a charger ?

I think a charger would be fine and If I setup a lightbulb to discharge my packs would I really need a cycler ?

kriskonway is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:40 AM   #5
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Mike Gyger

The advantage to a cycler, is it only will discharge a pack down to a cut-off voltage. I have the accucycle elite, it charges and discharges nimh, nicad, lipo, and lion. As the lixx batteries don't like to be overdischarged, this is ideal. It will only take it down to 3.1 V/cell, whereas a bulb could take it right down to 0, causing battery failure, and puffing. The charger will cycle the nixx packs up to 5 times in a row, and tells me how much capacity it has when it's done.

I used to just "cycle" my batteries in a plane. I would often forget about it, and end up running the battery until it was totally flat. This is not good for them.

The cycler just makes the whole process so much more safer and allows me to cycle me nicads without having to babysit them.

Canhos is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:01 AM   #6
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 26
[quote="kriskonway"]I think a charger would be fine and If I setup a lightbulb to discharge my packs would I really need a cycler ?[quote]

No, unless you are prepared to sit there and watch the light bulb.

A light bulb with a relay is a whole different kettle of fish, when the voltage goes down the relay can release your batteries so that they don't over-discharge or reverse polarity. I recomend this for RC car type packs only though, not transmitter, receiver, or LiPo packs.
desiderantes meliorem patriam
To err is human, to moo is bovine
moo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.