RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 02-11-2006, 05:36 PM   #1
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: DM

Total Props: 3
WHY?? Let's here those stories

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I saw a similar topic on a full scale forum and thought I'd try one here.

Simply what made you want and how did you start flying model aircraft (planes or helis)? Include any start up photos and all stories!
Famous last words, "Watch this!!".
Norm is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:58 PM   #2
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Mike P

Total Props: 0
When I was little, I saw a RC model in a hobby shop window and wanted it. Wasn't allowed. I think I was only 6 at the time.

I started flying at 15. I was interested in planes but private pilot lessons are too expensive. Been flying RC ever since. I do have a photo of me and my first plane on my PC. I'm on my laptop right now so I'll have to post it later.
Currently driving: HPI Savage X SS 4.6 / Traxxas Mini E-Revo
Find me a the Milton Fair Grounds any sunny weekend.
orenda635 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-11-2006, 06:29 PM   #3
Ken Currell
I am: Ken Currell
Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo
# of RCs: 30+

My uncle got me hooked.

He worked for Avro so I guess it was in his blood.

One day he arrived at the house (probably on my birthday) and presented me with a brand new Cox Space Bug Junior. I think I got the name right.

Next thing you know we were in the basement and the engine was mounted on a board clamped in the vice.

What a hoot. He started it on afull tank of fuel and filled the basement with smoke.

I've been hooked on those fumes ever since.

What a way to get addicted.

No photos available. Just the memories.

Ken Currell is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:06 PM   #4
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Ted L

When I was 3 years old my dad brought home a Kadet that he purchased from a guy at his work with a radio (Kraft) and engine (OS 35). The plane needed to be recovered and I don't remember it in this condition, I just remember it after he recovered it in a beautiful red and black with white pinstripe lines, all dope and fabric. My father never did join a club and never did fly the plane. The closest he got was in a large parking lot he advanced the throttle and was taxiing the plane around, on one run the plane lifted off and he immediately closed the throttle and it settled by itself. My next exposure to RC was at the Misissauga club when it was on Hwy. 10 behind the garden plots. My dad and I were out for a motorcycle ride, I was about 9 and we stopped into the club to watch someone flying. Turns out it was a student and instructor. The student put the plane into the trees behind the pits and I was the only one that could climb the tree to retrieve the plane. I did so and the plane was undamaged, the instructor took off again and I got to try flying for the first time. I remember the instructors comments to his student, that I was able to bank and turn without losing or gaining altitude. Then when I was 11 I was at a hobby show and a guy in one of the booths noticed my interest in the hobby and offered to teach me how to fly with his plane. I learned alot from him in regards to modeling and for that I am gratefull, although I also learned nothing comes for free, including his instruction. I had a lull in my modeling for a few years but have picked it up again for the last 10 years on a steady basis. The cool part for me in this story is that 2 years ago I was able to teach my father to fly as he never did pursue it and now he is a memeber of the same club I am and we regularly fly together, today being an example as we got home from the field around 2pm. I am 33 now, so I have been in the hobby for a long time. Seeing the joy my father gets from flying his planes sometimes makes me more happy than flying myself.

I still have the OS 35 and it runs like a top and the Kadet met its demise at my hands after I "learned" to fly. My old Isotronics radio, my first radio, died during flight one day and the Kadet went in at full power after consecutive loops. I do believe I cried...lol. I still have the wing downstairs, its in one piece after I made a few repairs. I started to rebuild the fuse but I never did finish it.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
Ted LeBlanc
Noin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:45 PM   #5
Wayne 1
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Wayne w

Well i can see i am a little late getting started in RC.I started building scale sailing ships, plankon frame,with full rigging 30 years ago.Then my eyes went bad for the fine rigging work.At age 44 the kids grown i started to look thru the GH book and saw the helis,wow this looks neat.A week later i saw Charlie flying a heli in a field, this it i want one.As xmass came under the tree my dear wife bought me a 2ch Hobbyzone challenger.What a rush,after beating to almost death 2 months later off we went the wife and i with cash in hand to see the lads a GH.The smile on my face new heli, radio,and all the riggin and a great thought from Gary at GH a flight sim.Got home loaded it up and woops,"what did i get myself into".Oh well after a hard learning curve for a year i can now fly and having a blast,now its3 helis and a shock flyer.Now here is the kicker remember the wife, she now flys to ,planes,and yup she has more stuff than me.Probably the best flying buddy i have. Wayne
Wayne 1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:22 PM   #6
RCC Apprentice
I am: Ryan B

I got started back in 1996 or 97, My grand fathers good friend John A from the Brantford flyer was allready flying model planes for a couple year(I think) I had been driving radio controlled cars since I was alot yonger maybe 13 or earlier. So my grandfather asked if I would like to go with him and my grandmother for a weekend in Brantford for the clubs funfly, I thought it was awesome alot of people there and alot of planes and naturally I took a bunch of pictures. The following Christmas to my surprise I woke up to see a bright missle red Freedom 20(Golbergs little trainer) radio and engine all installed on the dinning room table, the next few months of course I baught Model airplane news and studied each page and went to the different hobby shops around Toronto to look and drool. Once the better wether came around I joined the Humber valley flyers club(cant remember how I choose that club but I am happy I did) and went into there flight school where I learned to fly in 7 nights(seperate) and got my wings

Now since I have gotten older I found cars and I managed to buy a newer car and found another hobby Autocrossing so for the last 5 years I have been doing lapping days(about 30) and countless autocrosses, so at the end of this past season I had been on this site and I naturally wanted back into the planes I even baught a rc nitro truck etc and then a Seagull Super Decathlon from one of the Brantford flyers lol so I am back and I am planing to stay I love this stuff

Edit: I forgot to mention John let me fly his trainer on one of the evenings I was there, so that was my first RC flight.
solozee is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:00 PM   #7
RCC Junior Contributor

I've always been interested in aviation. I built plastic models by the dozen and as a teenager would do odd jobs around the local airport in exchange for a flight. I got into "real" airplanes for a few years (see avatar) but got out of that when I failed my medical went back to university.

I'd always wanted to fly rc airplanes but always seemed to lack the time and the initial "seed" money to get started. In 2000, the Nats were held near here. I saw the ad in the local community newspaper and dragged my kids along... the oldest wasn't even in school yet. While I was there, I entered a raffle for a complete starter kit. As I was handing over the ticket and the money, the guy behind the table glanced at my address and remarked that I lived just around the corner from him and that if I won it, he would teach me to fly it. He then handed me an info sheet for the local club.

I didn't win it, but the ball was rolling. A couple of months later, a relative left me some money in his will. Not a lot, but it was enough to put a little in the bank and for my wife and I to spend a little on something for ourselves. I invested my portion in a trainer, radio and all the usual "stuff".

Six years later, I still have my trainer, I've "killed" a couple of airplanes, have 8 ready to fly, I've accumulated enough bits and pieces to almost open my own hobby shop, the guy around the corner's daughter has babysat for me and he is still teaching me to fly better, I've said a final goodbye to a great flyer and welcomed a few new ones, my daughter who likes to help build/fix and who was reading MAN last week says she wants to learn to fly and I'm thinking of trying pattern this year.

I think I'm hooked.
Kill power on... doors coming open... wings level...clear to drop...
CP140 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:29 AM   #8
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Peter D
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18 MZ
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 8
I saw my neighbour fly a jetex powered glider. It ended up burning up in flight and came down as a fireball. As a five year old I thought that was really neat. 40 years later I'm still at it
MAAC Jet Committee Member
Deputy South West Zone Director
Member of JPO
Deputy Director - Pickled Pilot Squadron
RC_MAN is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:47 PM   #9
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Terry L

Total Props: 6
Too long, maybe...

Started by building a hlg in 1946, when teachers earned their tuition by running programs in the local parks (Victoria). Went to Walker stuff (Fighter 74, Interceptor, Hornet, etc, then started building stick & tissue (still do). C/L began with Firebaby, went to other stuff (sailplanes, f/f power etc). Finally got into r/c with Ace s/c stuff (still got that, too), built my own "multi" (Ace Silver Seven) kit. R/C sailplanes followed on, but I still build/fly everything except Pistachio and Large scale.

They'll bury me with glue on my fingers!
TLyttle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.