General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 02-27-2006, 05:09 AM   #21
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Calvin Martini
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 7

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Yes we know that - thank you, again, for your crystal clear and entirely black and white position statement. We already know MAAC is not prepared to deal with this type of issue. No need to mention it over and over.

Putting MAAC's position aside for the moment, I asked a friend who is familiar with radio regulations and this is what I got back (again, another opinion):

What follows is my opinion and my interpretation of the Industry Canada regulations, which is somewhat based on various conversations with Industry Canada inspectors over several years.

Ham radio operators with Advanced certification may build and modify receivers and transmitters that operate on Ham-designated frequencies (those with Basic certification are more limited as to what is permitted). In other words, a Ham's certification is limited to Ham frequencies, which is obviously not the case here with RC gear.

Any person may make the modifications you are considering; no licensing or certification is required. The only real stipulation is that whatever is done must not cause interference with other legitimate users of the frequency or harmonics of the frequency. This principle of "do not interfere" is not limited to only other RC users but can include any devices that are subject to radio frequency interference (e.g. two-way radios, TVs, computers, etc.).

The bottom line: go ahead and fill your boots…but be prepared to shut down any transmitter that is creating problems for anyone else. This is the repeated response that I have received from Industry Canada regarding transmitter modifications. The inspectors are more interested in compliance through education rather than through the imposition of fines.

By the way, I know of no specific regulations that can be quoted regarding this issue. I can, however, tell you the penalty for knowingly creating radio frequency interference, but I am certain that you will not be doing that.
Perhaps there is interest from the membership in coming up with a way to recognize such modifications. After all, this is our hobby and MAAC is supposed to represent us. Then again, maybe no action is actually required...

If this modification is not actually illegal, then users of modified 6102s are already in compliance with Industry Canada regulations.
martinic is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.