Closed Thread
Old 02-28-2006, 06:06 AM   #1
RCC Apprentice
I am: Don Mayberry
Radio of choice:
One that works

Total Props: 0
Storage in garage ??

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi Gang,
Live in Kansas temps range from -0 to 110+.
Have a double detached unheated, unairconditioned DRY garage. Humidity in summer runs 60-80% of course winter is much lower 10-30%
What are your comments about storing models in these conditions ?
Have everything from 1/4 scale to indoor electrics, and two cars.
Don-Basehor, Ks
Gonnacrash is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:08 AM   #2
Wayne MIller
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Wayne MIller
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9 JR 9303
# of RCs: 19

Total Props: 8

I'm no expert, but I follow these simple rules.

For typical storage requirements you will need to seal the plane and engine from dust. Humidity can be a problem during temperature change, that is why most sensitive equipment specifications state "temperature change no more than 10 degrees F per hour" - the reason being, that changes faster than that will create condensation.

If your climate allows you to do that, and you don't have too much heat to distort, remove or damage the covering, you should be OK.

Hope this helps.

Wayne Miller
Wayne MIller is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:13 AM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jim McIntyre
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 1
Humidity is a killer for electronics, glues, fabrics, wood etc.

A dehumidifier is an absolute minimum. I also maintain fresh silica packs in my transmitter cases, and in some aircraft I don't fly often.
MAAC# 12719
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere - (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).
JimMcIntyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:13 AM   #4
RCC Supreme Contributor

I leave my wings in the garage, but bring the fuselages with all the electronics inside during the winter

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:27 AM   #5
Don M.

I am an "Expert" on this . For the last 14 years I have had to store my planes and R/C gear in an UNHEATED & UNAIRCONDITIONED attic in my home in Nova Scotia while I go to work about 2500 miles away. They are there usually from July - May in the heat, the cold & the extreme humidity you can only get in a Martime area. I use absolutely no special treatment. The engines are oiled and put in plastic bags but the airplanes are just left in the open.

I have about 10 finished planes and 20 kits there. I have a 1/5 P-51, a Typhoon pattern plane, a 27% Ultimate, 2 - strokes, 4 - strokes, gassers, etc. etc. All in all I would say I have over $30,000.00 in stuff ( just ask my wife ). Every year I go home, take 3 or 4 planes out of the attic and there has never been a twist or warp in any of them and some have been there for 10 years.

3 years ago I had to leave town in a big hurry and left my Typhoon in the attic fully equipped ( YS 140, digital servos, rec, everything but the battery ) last summer 2 years later I dragged it down expecting the worst. I put a battery in it, fueled it up and flew it for 75 flights without a hiccup.

2 years ago I decided to build a Balsa USA Smoothie that had been there since 1988. Every piece of wood in the kit was usable and it was straight & true when finished.

I just had a member of RCC ask to buy a Quadra 42 from me that has been sitting there since the early 90's and I bet I can mount it, prime it and it will start first crank, if I can find it
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:09 PM   #6
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Mike P

All my air worthy models (the ones I actually fly) are stored in my garage. I have an insulated attatched garage. I store soda pop out there in the winter too, which never freezes so it's not getting below 0c in there. I find servos and receivers are fine, I try to keep my transmitter indoors though.

If it's not already insulated, get some good quality insulation with a high R value. Fiberglass works the best. Stuff that in the walls and seal with particle board (as it's more durable), or drywall. Upgrade your garage door to an insulated one.

As for humidity, balsa is a soft wood so it won't crack in dryness. Humidity does not damage electronics as heat is the greater enemy. Your average computer can withstand humidity from 20-80%. The only problem with humidity is if condensation is forming, then it will short out electronics. Humidity will not be a problem in a garage that has been properly insulated. If it concerns you, consider buying a cheap/used dehumidifyer to keep the moisture down.
Currently driving: HPI Savage X SS 4.6 / Traxxas Mini E-Revo
Find me a the Milton Fair Grounds any sunny weekend.
orenda635 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:09 PM   #7
RCC Master Contributor
I am: John R
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 20
I have all my flyers hanging in the garage. From brushless electrics to a 300 Saito twin. As the season winds down, I always cycle my batteries, lubricate the gearboxes on my electrics, and really oil up my motors with rislone or marvel mystery oil.. It is not insulated, I park my cars in it, has a cement floor and is drywalled.

Never had a problem. When I fly, I cycle my batteries again as I take them out, turn the motor over by hand a couple times, fill er up, make sure it's really well primed, fire it up, do a range check and fly. Some planes get flown more than others, but everything gets flow at least 4-5 times in a season(one full day). I'm talking about 15 planes.

With the wings on, I don't think condensation is an issue because the atmosphere doesn't change that much inside the fuselage. In fact winter is usually less humid than in the summer. I can't comment about Kansas, I can just tell you about my experience.

Frankly I have done more damage to them over the years loading and unloading my van, than any weather has!!!

Just my 10 cents worth (inflation).
John Kovats

aka Johnny Versatile

MAAC 65460

Hespeler Model Aviators Inc.
Cambridge Float Flyers

I don't have the answers, but I have a personal relationship with the Guy that does.
JKovats is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:52 AM   #8
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
I think the problem will lie with sudden and rapid changes in heat/humidity.

I remember a mini-article in RCM about a guy who decided to go for the record of the most norterly RC flight. Built the plane indoors, got it set up and ready to go. Took it outdoors, fired it up and took off.

Flight was short and sudden -- the moisture in the balsa froze (middle of artic winter) and flight stresses shattered it.

A well-built airplane should be able to ahndle the gradula changes that occur naturally without major problems. Making sure that the batteries don't freeze (take indoors), that the engines have a good squirt of a protective oil (people swear by Marvel Mystery, but some recommend tranny fluid if you can't find MMO), then everything else should survive a winter.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:03 AM   #9
Don M.

Originally Posted by byrocat
I think the problem will lie with sudden and rapid changes in heat/humidity.

I remember a mini-article in RCM about a guy who decided to go for the record of the most norterly RC flight. Built the plane indoors, got it set up and ready to go. Took it outdoors, fired it up and took off.

Flight was short and sudden -- the moisture in the balsa froze (middle of artic winter) and flight stresses shattered it.

Maybe I should apply for that. I live most of the year at 69.5 N lattitude and although I don't anymore I flew an Ace 4-120 / Q42 up here for a number of years. You haven't lived until you drag an 85" plane on an ATV over a gravel road, get clearance from the airport tower and fly from a gravel airstrip.

Yes Bill that was your "new" Quadra.
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:29 PM   #10
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Peter M.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 37

Total Props: 15
I've been storing my completed and unfinished models, ARF and built-up, in my double attached unheated garage (and uninsulated attic) for many years with absolutely no problem. Temperature varies from a high of +45 degrees to a low -35 and normal ambient humidity. I've never had electronic or engine problems, warped wings or fuselages and not even sagging covering. I believe that the temperature and humidity change is too gradual to worry about those types of problems.

Peter Merkel
MAAC #22527

Murphy was an optimist; fly safe and have fun.
Midair is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.