Trash Can - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 03-07-2006, 08:53 PM   #11
RCC Senior Contributor

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Funny you should start this post...just had a Hitec retract servo fail last week...luckily it failed after the mechanical retracts were "down"...also had a Hitec HS 55 strip out all the gears on a parkflyer elevator servo...that was a mess...not much left of the plane after that one! what did I do...replace the Hitec retract servo with a new Hitec retract servo, and the HS55 with a HS56...guess I'll never learn

JohnnyHotRocks is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:55 PM   #12
RCC Senior Contributor

Hitec trash!

I have had 4 bad servos with the stickers on them .. Karbonite was two of them and only very few flights .
The other two were 422 so were expected to break. I now have the new 645;s all around on the Can U DO 3 D and hope to try them as the weather breaks..YS 110 so will probably flutter to pieces first..
I hear good things about the 645 or 5645..
Have a great day!!!
popcan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:42 AM   #13
RCC Supreme Contributor

Originally Posted by always flying
Originally Posted by hillmanr2
I bought hitec's form my latest plane, not because they were cheap but because a lot of guys on anouther site whom I respect said the 5955's were way better than the 8611's

WoW...thats putting the horse before the carriage if you've never owned either before?..don't you think? the 5955 is using the same motor that the 8611 are..there's a post on RCU where they did a servo comparison!
the 8611 came on top!

to many issues with with hitec..other than the 5955 i probably won't buy anymore!

my 2 cents worth

When top level US pilots say to go with a product I follow thier advice. The issue was with the gears stripping on the 8611 in 20 flights or less.
Imac # 4751
Speedway and Hobby
PTA Hobbies
hillmanr2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:41 PM   #14
Ken Currell
I am: Ken Currell
Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo
# of RCs: 30+

When top level US pilots say to go with a product I follow thier advice. The issue was with the gears stripping on the 8611 in 20 flights or less.[/quote]

I would take a mix of all opinions. Don't forget that those Top US pilots are likely sponsored by somebody.

Just something to think about.
Ken Currell is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:34 PM   #15
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Paul D
Radio of choice:
Fubar S-bus2 -no lock outs :)
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 21
The JR 8611's have had problems just like the 5945's did in thier early release. The manuf. did not put bushings in the cases for the gear pins and they break out causing the servo to jam. I now have to send back my 8611's for updating. The new Hitec 5955's apparently have been bullet proof but I guess you will allways find someone who will bash product on forums.

MAAC Jet Committee/JPO Western Canada
2L club executive member
Pauld is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:21 PM   #16
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Originally Posted by Ken Currell

I would take a mix of all opinions. Don't forget that those Top US pilots are likely sponsored by somebody.

Just something to think about.
Ken, you hit my nerve

Why do you think being sponsored has something to do with product advise?

Guess what? If I am sponsored by Futaba (which I am) dont you think I could be sponsored by Hitec, Airtronics, JR...etc?

Beyond that VERY few guys get gear for free, most of the "sponsored" pilots get a discount so they are still paying for it. Do you really think they would pay for what they considered an inferior product?

In most cases (not all but most) being sponsored or not has little to do with the opinion....for me sponsorship is just a perk of doing well with equipment that I choose to use.

So because I am sponsored by Futaba you are saying that my thousands of hours of time with their gear is less valuable than Joe next door who has 1/10th the amount of use of their gear?

To get sponsored you first have to win you first have to have solid gear....those who win have solid gear regardless of what it is. Those are the people who know how to make things work every time all the time.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:54 PM   #17
RCC Contributor

My 30% Edge has 5945s on all surfaces, with a 5955 doing the steering. Performance has been awesome! Good batteries, good HD switches and soldered extensions, not plug-ins all contribute to keeping digitals happy. Let the voltage drop because of a high-impedance battery pack or a flakey connection and things are gonna get ugly.

'Burner...what airframe are you hanging your MVVS 45 on?
David Moen
Salmon Arm, B.C.
MVVS Canada
David_Moen is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:08 PM   #18
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jack D.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 19
It's on the new GP CAP 232 3-D

Nice plane but knife edgfe coupling is an ugly concern

Only got 2-6 minute flights on it so I'll work with the CG and triming a bit

The MVVS 45 on a 21-8 Bolly wood pulls it as fast vertical as it does horizontal...My first MVVS but there may be a 116 in my future.

I believe the plane weighs close to 15lbs....Performance is awesome with this weight to say the least.
wingburner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:06 PM   #19
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1
over the years I have had servo failures from the foloowing companies:

Airtronics (multiples of high end coreless competition servos)
Futaba (standards)
JR (multiples of the pre-digital super servos)
Multiplex (one giant scale)
HItec (one hs81, and a few low end standards)

As well as one hobbico and tower standards.

The thing is, EVERY company will have failures at one time or another. No one company has a 100% no-failure rate. No one.

I have used (and currently still do) hitec digitals on multiple giant scale gassers and two turbine powered jets. No problems in 5 seasons of much flying.

I still use pretty much all brands of servos but mainly JR and Hitec, with more Hitecs than all others combined for me.

In the end use what you have good luck with and feel more secure with, but remmeber the longer you are in the hobby with more and more servos use you will probably encounter a bad or defective one eventually, no matter what brand.

Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:05 AM   #20
Ed Smith

How true it is I do not know. I was told by a radio manufacturer that most of the servos we use today are all made by the same company. GWS.

Ed S
  Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.