Thumb flying or finger flying?? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 03-08-2006, 12:53 PM   #1
RCC Master Contributor
I am: John R
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 20
Thumb flying or finger flying??

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I'd like some input, especislly from guys that have changed.

I have been a guy that grabs his Tx control sticks with his fingers(Thunb and first finger) and have been using my middle finger to flick switches etc. That's the way I started.

Anyway, as my flying and planes have advanced, I find the finger switch flicking etc a little awkward.

I started practising on my simulator using my thunbs on the sticks and using my index finger to switch on smoke, retracts, flaps etc and lo and behold it seems to be easier and more accurate. I also seem to be flying steadier with the plane in most manouvers.

Is this my imagination or is thumb flying better in the long run???
John Kovats

aka Johnny Versatile

MAAC 65460

Hespeler Model Aviators Inc.
Cambridge Float Flyers

I don't have the answers, but I have a personal relationship with the Guy that does.
JKovats is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:18 PM   #2
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 0
I guess it gets down to what you FEEL is right for you. I have only ever flown with thumbs but was curious about the thumb and index finger tecnique. It appeared to be an akward way to fly to me and after trying it my assumtions were correct. I found that I couldn't combine the elevator and aileron inputs as well a just with my thumb. I suppose that if I gave it a little more time I could get use to it but why should I mess with a good thing. I also found that I didn't have the range of movement with the thumb and index finger when performing a knife edge with lots of rudder. Other quick-type manouvers were hard also, such as snap rolls. The finger and thumb method required more effort to do quick actions.
The next thing I want to try is MODE I to see if it has any advantages for 3D flying and/or scale flying.
I hope you find your comfort zone.
sivle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:21 PM   #3
RCC Contributor

My impression is that finger flying was more accurate, perhaps a little more awkward for throwing switches. But I can see that in heavy 3D type flying where the sticks are moving alot and with big throws it could be alot harder to fly.

It comes down to personal preference as with most things hehe.

rdespins is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:27 PM   #4
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Paul D
Radio of choice:
Fubar S-bus2 -no lock outs :)
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 21
I use thumbs for 3D and general flying and use thumb and index for precision aerobatics. There are no rules however, it's whatever you are more comfortable with.

MAAC Jet Committee/JPO Western Canada
2L club executive member
Pauld is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:29 PM   #5
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jack D.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 19
I've tried both...Went back to the thumbs...I find it easier and just as accurate for myself...I think everyone is different....Could possibly have something to do with finger and or thumb length...Some of the TOC winners fly with thumbs only....So it's what ever is more comfortable...
wingburner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:55 PM   #6
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Peter M.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 37

Total Props: 15
I began flying R/C, back in the early 80's, using just thumbs. When I moved to Europe I noticed many of the flyers were using transmitter trays and controlling their aircraft using their index fingers and thumbs. I decided that when in Rome, do as the Romans, and switched to this method of control input. My personal experience is a follows - a thumb and index finger flyer tends to be more precise, perfect for pattern type flying and perhaps glider. With the edge of your hands resting on the transmitter tray panels, the sticks become very solid. Also, you experience far less fatigue. When I fly thumbs only, after ten to fifteen minutes I begin to loose the feeling in my thump tips However, for all out wild control and extreme and quick stick deflections, you can't beat the thumbs only. Lets face it; it is easier to move only two digits, the thumbs, than four, the thumbs and index fingers. Plus, if you have small hands and you rest your hands on the tray, you may not be able to move the sticks to full deflection without moving the whole hand. My preference : , I tend to feel much more in control and comfortable simply "dumb thumbing" it Bottom line fly by whatever method you are comfortable and have fun.

Peter Merkel
MAAC #22527

Murphy was an optimist; fly safe and have fun.
Midair is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:00 PM   #7
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Ted L

I have been flying for over 20 years, started with the thumbs and then switched/tried the index finger thumb combo. I can fly like that but I preffer the thumb only method and continue to fly that way.
Ted LeBlanc
Noin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:36 PM   #8
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Angus
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18mz
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 5

Angus is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:22 PM   #9
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Steve H.

Total Props: 2
Thumbs for me, I tried nipple pinching (thumb & index) but I can't do it
Hughes500E is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:27 PM   #10
Wayne MIller
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Wayne MIller
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9 JR 9303
# of RCs: 19

Total Props: 8

I fly thumbs only without a neck strap, but I learned that way, and I fly Mode 1, where elevator and ailerons are on separate sticks - so its no problem.

I've often wanted to try the neck strap, or tray, but having the transmitter on my neck seems to restrict me somehow.

I personally think its whatever you learn on, kinda like driving in England or here - the way you learn would be the "natural" way.

Wayne Miller
Wayne MIller is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.