Cheap source of methyl hydrate?? - Page 5 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread
Old 03-17-2006, 10:42 AM   #41
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 10

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
This has been good reading.

I just got an email from a friend who teaches Chemistry in high school. He is under orders to reduce the stock of all chemicals stored on school property, and dispose of everything that does not have an immediate identifiable need, or of which there is an excessive stock. Apparently he has a sealed 5 gallon container of Methanol and wants to "dispose of it" by giving it to me.

I was thinking that if I were to mix in the requisite oil (castor or synthetic) then cut it with 20% nitro fuel, I should come reasonably close to the 10% I usually run in cold weather, or even the 5% I have started using in hot weather.

Should cut my fuel costs for the season by a bit I think. The killer as I see it is keeping it capped and sealed against moisture.
Dave Holmes

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:54 AM   #42
Claude Paradis
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Claude P.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C and 9C
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 0
Methanol is easy to get.

Where does one get the nitro?

Where does one get the oil?
Claude Paradis is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:23 AM   #43
Ken Currell
I am: Ken Currell
Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo
# of RCs: 30+

You can probably get the nitro from a speed shop.

You can use Castrol synthetic 2 stroke oil. There are lots of Castrol dealers around.
Ken Currell is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-18-2006, 07:41 AM   #44
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Paul J

Re: cheap fuel

Originally Posted by plncrzy
Yup... likely not worth your trouble if you are going to run nitro... but when you are running asay a SUPER TIGER 3500.... these run GREAT on 0% nitro ... and so what the fellow in BC did with cheap engine oil mixed with cheap Methyl Hydrate.... it was a big saving..... especially when you look at how much fuel these big engine go through...... but when it comes to the smaller engines rewuiring nitro and needing/wanting good oil.... DONT bother
That is precisely what I'm doing. Wouldn't waste my time doing this for my smaller glow engines. Just using Castor oil too, not the drug store stuff either, but Sig AA Castor. This is what is known as FAI fuel, and the big cats like it that way.
valhalla is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:52 PM   #45
RCC Apprentice

all you need is a buddy in the oil and gas industry like an operator ( thats a guy who looks after wells )
they us methanol to keep gas well compressor units from freezing and it is usualy 99% pure
they will usualy have a big tank beside the compessors
i got some frome one of those tanks and mixed up some fuel and seemed to work great
i didnt mix any nitro
i got about 20 L for free
its just who you know
getting nitro is a bit harder and the oil isnt cheep either
does anyone know of a substitute oil for castor oil
yabut is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:32 PM   #46
RCC Apprentice

I have been using Methyl Hydrate as well. The mix I havce used traditionally is

20% castor medical grade
77% Methyl Hydrate
3% acetone

I get a good run and a great idle with that mix....However, today was the coldest weather i have ever used it in, and i was bench running an older Thunder Tiger 25 that i had bought on e-bay. As it turns out, the engine ran, but with some difficulty. Starting was not a problem, but the engine was not building enough heat. If i teased the engine up to a high rpm by leaning the needle, and then setting it the usual way, it would run fine. Transition was good, but only if i ran it from WOT to idle, and then back to WOT without too much delay. After about ten seconds at idle the engine would start to sputter a bit, and then would not easily run to WOT. My theory is that a combination of my glow plug heat, and running 20% castor in the cold weather is causing excessive cooling of my engine. I also know that when i let it idle for ten secs and it starts to sputter that there is an excessive amount of unburnt fuel/oil exiting the exhaust. I think i will try a different glow plug, and reduce my castor by 2-3%.

Other than today, methyl hydrate seems to work fine. But I am interested in hearing about how i might "damage my engine"
jon_beks is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:19 PM   #47
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Ray M

Jon_beks.....What is the purpose of the acetone? Do you consider that to be a substitute for nitro? Nitromethane is getting hard to find and I would very much like to have a substitute.
Ray McDougall, Victoria
See my models at:
Raymac is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:37 AM   #48
RCC Apprentice

There is no substitute for nitromethane, sorry to say. Or at least, none that i am aware of. Additions of acetone up to 3% seem to greatly improve idle and low end transition. It is not necessary in the mix, but I find it a worthwhile improvement.

Today I am heading to town and I'm going to pick up a few different types of synthetic lubricants. I think it will be interesting to see which ones will be compatible with our glow engines. I remember speaking with a gentleman about ten or twelve years ago, and he told me that he used to purchase bananna oil from a local health food shop for making his glow fuel. It seems that the oil was an adjunct that enabled a less expensive mix oil for common gasoline engines to stay in suspension in the methanol.

Anyhow, will let everyone know how it goes.

Jon Beks
Old 03-22-2006, 03:32 PM   #49
RCC Apprentice

a new oil from crappie tire

Interestingly enough...I have looked at the 2 stroke oils at crappie a hundred times and never saw this one. I assume they just started carrying it, but I could be wrong. The oil is called "Red Line Synthetic Oil".. It is a polyol ester like what is used in turbines, and is supposed to be compatible with methanol. The cost is 8.00$ for 1/2 litre. And methanol at crappie is 10.00$ a gallon. Not really any cost savings, as far as i can see. I did find some castrol and Mobil 2 stroke oils that are not synthetic, but i think i should find a very crappie engine to test these on..What about it? Anyone have a sacrificial lamb they would like to donate to the cause? Was thinking that a few pics of the sleeve and piston and crank/conrod, + careful measurements of everything including compression before and aft on any old motor should provide a reasonable baseline for future testing. Maybe try mixes of all sorts of cheap oil alternatives. I don't have a motor free to do it, but i'm interested in the idea....any thoughts anyone?

BTW, will post about how the syn oil I bought today works out, tomorrow.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:42 PM   #50
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Mike G
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9c
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 15
Cheap source of methyl hydrate

Check out your local drug store they used to carry it
hifly2104 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.