Cheap source of methyl hydrate?? - Page 6 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread
Old 03-22-2006, 05:49 PM   #51
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0
Drug store

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Yes, the drug store will carry items for use in glow fuel but only at premium prices. Medical grade castor can be purchased for ~ 3$ / 100ml. This is expensive, at least, i think it is.
jon_beks is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:02 PM   #52
RCC Contributor

There are a few things to consider when you guys mix your own fuel. One is that when you buy nitromethane from your local speed shop , it usually has a percentage of methanol in it as a stabilizer. You should find out what % it is to keep your fuel mix in balance. Nitro methane also boosts power because when it is burned , it gives off oxygen as a byproduct thus boosting the "burn". There are few substitutes, other than nitro propane. Also Castor oil is a superior lubricant to synthetics. When this oil is heated to a high temperature, it actually "picks" up oxygen molecules. Once the oil does this the viscosity actually goes up and protects the moving parts better. In a nutshell, when they started manufacturing modern glow fuel in the 1970's, these products were found to all work hand in hand making model glow fuel the perfect product. It is a shame that Apollo Custom is no longer manufactured.
There is no such thing as a landing, it's a controlled crash.
Jim West MAAC 22948
kersplat is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:23 PM   #53
Ken Currell
I am: Ken Currell
Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo
# of RCs: 30+

What is a 4 litre jug of pure nitro worth?
Ken Currell is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-23-2006, 03:54 PM   #54
RCC Apprentice

I see no cost saving or benefits in producing your own fuel if you require nitro, unless geographically it is hard to attain, which is my case. All the same, cost effective, perfomance effective fuel can be made if you are willing to burn 0% nitro. In any case, the battle between castor and synthetics has raged on for two decades and there seems no clear answer, except that one person prefers the qualities of one as in contrast to the other. That being said, synthetic racing fuels that are formulated for use in alcohol/methanol are acceptable, as is castor, and what a person uses will largely depend on what sources they have avaliable, keeping in mind that they are formulating their own fuel and the onus will be on themselves to protect the inner workings of their engine.

What kersplat says has merit, castor has excellent filming and visous lubricating qualities, and that is why a portion of racers still use it today, but synthetic also has it's own redeeming qualities. Of note in particular, is that synthetic has been specifically designed to work in ringed engines, and has many detergents and additives designed to keep rings from gumming, varnish from building,etc., but is just not as effective as far as I can tell, at removing heat from the cylinder head. So what a person chooses, they will do at their own risk.

Sooo... Still waiting to hear about a donor, (sacrificial lamb) for us to do some testing. Lets see what really is the difference really is. Why not post it for all?
jon_beks is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:14 AM   #55
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 10
As an add on to this most interesting thread, I am attempting to attach a small Excel spreadsheet I created to assist in calculating amounts of the various substances that would go into formulating simple glow fuel.

As mentioned in an earlier post (Page 2, I think) I have been given a 20 Liter drum of Hi purity methanol and will be using it to mix up some fuel. Therefore, I felt the need to calculate the amount of oil etc needed and am too lazy to pick up a pencil and use my brain when I can let my computer do the math.

Since we buy our stuff from the LHS in U.S. gallon jugs, that's the basis of measurement I used.
Attached Files
File Type: xls glow_fuel_mix_calculator_592.xls (15.0 KB, 104 views)
Dave Holmes

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.