Beginner Helicopter - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Closed Thread
Old 03-13-2006, 08:18 AM   #1
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
Beginner Helicopter

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Walkera No. 5 V4 / HouseFly Beginner Helicopter flying video

No. 60 Walkera Belt Driven Tail Rotor

Which one you like??
tyr990 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:54 AM   #2
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: James E

Okay,I don't think many people are answering because they believe that niether of your choices are appropriate to learn on.I have never seen a Walkera heli in person,but I have read time and time again about negative experiences with the brand.Runryder and Rcgroups,would be the place to search those models.
R/C Heli's in general are one of those things that is way easier to learn when,you are being helped by someone with experience.I would recomend you seach here for a club in your area.Attend a meeting and let them know your interests.Possibly let someone who will help your through your first flights,have input on your purchasing decision.
I am not a helicopter expert.I am probably considered intermediate[4years rotory].The only micro I would recomend to a beginner would be of the co-axial main rotor variety,such as the blade cx or hirobo Lama.I still think 30 size glow,such as the Century Hawk Sport,is the way to go.Nothing wrong with a used deal,from a qualified club member to reduce the initial expense.
In conclusion,please keep in mind these are toys that can bite you,but very rewarding to master.They must be approched with patience and the willingness to learn..........................Good Luck................Jim
Canada_Jim is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:31 AM   #3
Donovan Dow
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Donovan R

Morning Tyr

Neither, but then again I have no experience with either. Been in helis since 1971 and have never hear of either.

take care
don dow
Donovan Dow is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:49 AM   #4
RCC Apprentice

Here are the beginner models I would recommend:
-Raptor 30 (Yes, 30, not a hyper 50)
-Century Hawk
-Heli-Max MX-400

Any of those three are a good starting point if you are serious about getting into helis. All of them are collective pitch and inverted flight capable and make stable learning platforms with reasonable parts prices. You may also find good used deals but have an experienced pilot check it out before you buy since you don't have enough experience to spot problems.

The most important thing is as mentioned above, go to the local heli flyers, see which brand they fly. See which brand the local stores stock. Having local help and a local parts supply makes the learning experience less frustrating and less expensive.
cgroves is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:42 PM   #5
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Calvin Martini
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 7
I'm with Corey - good recommendations. A good beginner heli is one that will provide you with a good first experience. I wish I had started with a 30 size heli instead of a micro.
martinic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:04 PM   #6
RCC Apprentice

I'm with the idea that a glow heli is tyour best start point..
Get a 30 size ( Venture, Hawk, Sceadu ) but choose a model that people use around your area, so go visite your local clubs, they always a Pro that will VERY HAPPILY help you with all your questions. he will also help you with your model choise. I think a Kit is the only way to start because it lets you understand the mechanics of the machine witch is a must if you want to fly.

IF your on a low budjet, maybe go with a E-Sky, or humming bird ( the real thing, not E-bay) And Forget abour Walkera, there Cheep copies of good micros..( ask how I knok crapy E-bay) Having a micro cuts on the crash costs BUT could help you get your orientation faster, with the help of an instructor always....

For a micro your need perfect conditions to fly or a gym. A living room, unless realy big will not put you on the right track.
jgoodsell is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:59 PM   #7
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Rob C

Re: Beginner Helicopter

Have you got a simulator? That is where I would start...

rscamp is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:55 PM   #8
RCC Apprentice

Have you got a simulator? That is where I would start...

Rob, that is an even beter idea
jgoodsell is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:46 PM   #9
c hardy
RCC Apprentice

Hi. I bought a Walkere 36 and have had a lot of fun with it.
I have the Brushless up grade as the brushed is useless. I learned to hover and slightly move around with it. But any more than that and I have Gyro troubles.
If you want really cheap $100 just get a fixed pitch from E-Bay to see if you like heli's.
But for ease of learning and reliability 30 gas would be the way to go.
I was warned away from my Walkera. But I'm sure glad I went with what I thought.
Hope you can figure out what your needs are.
It is challenging but eventually rewarding.

C Hardy.
MAAC 70014
If it takes fuel I like it.
If it goes fast I Love it.
c hardy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.