Airtronics Sanwa Batteries - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Closed Thread
Old 03-18-2006, 08:04 PM   #1
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Colin J
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 0
Airtronics Sanwa Batteries

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
A few of us are getting very low readings - capacities of 400ma on 700ma transmitter packs (nicads). We all have reasonably new radios. Some are not even a year old. What's the scoop on these batteries? Are they poor quality?
Colin Jensen
Regina Windy Flyers
cjensen is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:02 AM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

A question on the batteries? Have they sat on the shelf for the winter and just charged before doing your check? If so I would suggest cycling them a couple of times and then recheck your capacity. I do this every spring as I find it is just not Sanwa but the others as well. Also what are you using for a charger? I find the slow 50mah charge when cycling is better.
Somebody else can jump in but this is what works for me.
John Davidson
Keep the shiny side up and the wheels down
Vulcan1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:59 AM   #3
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Colin J
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 4

I cycled the batteries six weeks ago. When I went to use them, they were basically dead - 1ma left in them.

I've cycled them 10 times this weekend - and only getting about 450ma on a 700ma rated pack.

I'm using a Hobbico Accu-Cycle Elite.

My other batteries can sit for a couple of months, and still have life left in them. Also, my other batteries I'm getting about 580 to 590 ma on packs rated at 600ma.

Just wondering if there is a common denominator with Sanwa batteries.
Colin Jensen
Regina Windy Flyers
cjensen is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:20 PM   #4
Wayne MIller
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Wayne MIller
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9 JR 9303
# of RCs: 19

Total Props: 8
Transmitter batteries

I always upgrade my transmitter batteries to the 2100ma NiMh AA camera batteries, and they last a long time between charges.

Since the drain on the transmitter is relatively small, these batteries are ideal replacements and very cost effective if you pick them up at Wallmart or Zellers. The only drawback is that they take a long time to get fully charged first time from a "wall wart" charger.

Soldering the batteries together with short wires will take some skill and you need a hot soldering iron, like 100 watts, to "tin" the battery ends, after a light sanding, before you attach the wires. You will need a hot iron so that as soon as you touch the end of the battery, the solder will flow, if you do not have a hot iron, you have to hold the iron on the battery too long, and the battery will get hot and can be damaged. If your not comfortable with soldering, I would suggest you get someone from your club who is to help out.

Another alternative solution to soldering is a battery holder, since there is no vibration in the transmitter, it works well. You may have to grind down the metal connectors at the end of the battery holder, before soldering wires to it, so it will fit the battery compartment. Be sure to test the battery holder for fit first, before doing anything.

In both of the above cases, you will have to use the connectors from your original battery pack - MAKE SURE YOU ATTACH THE CONNECTOR USING THE RIGHT POLARITY, positive to positive (red) and negative to negative (black). Again, if your not sure, seek help.

Hope this helps.

Wayne Miller
Wayne MIller is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:45 PM   #5
Terry Gauvin
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Terry J
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 1
I have an RD 8000 that had TX batteries die prematurely, at least to my thinking. I replaced the nicads with a 2100 MaH NIMH pack. Should have done this from the get go, can fly 2 or 3 weekends on a charge now.
DX18 Stealth, H9 Inversa 33, H9 33% Edge, H9 33% Decathlon.
Terry Gauvin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.