RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Combat Discuss Aerial Combat.

Closed Thread
Old 03-29-2006, 10:00 PM   #11
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Alex P
# of RCs: 1

Total Props: 2

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
great. i problay do not have time myself to build another planeto test the theory here in ontario, however wheni get out west and get all situated ill problay get the people out there to join in on the carnage of Corro... hevens to betcy they still use balsa out there.. Can you say balsa showers... any hoot. i just might have to try to sew the plane togeatehr that just sounds so funny. but you guy proven it does work. we have a baby scale donated to us to use in our club house now we have not tested it eather.. however my p51 A come in at just under 3lbs and id say thats pretty close...so problay its correct.. might have to get a 5 lb peice of meat to sit on the scale to measure it out...
Fly em and crash em.
Midairplarina is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:10 PM   #12
Cross Check
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Dave F

Total Props: 9
Hi All,

Found my Spad VII specs:

Span- 42in.
Wing Area- 620in.sq. 4.3ft.sq.
Weight- 4.5lbs
Wingloading- 16.7 oz/ft.sq.
Wing thickness- 5/8in.
Engine- A tired(of WW2) Mag Pro .25 that swings an APC 10-3 just above 12K.

Construction- Fuse is traditional balsa with ply reinforcing around nose/cabanes. 3/16th balsa stab,1/8th balsa fin/rudder. Pop bottle cowl from the cabanes foreward. Blue foam turtledeck sealed with a couple of coats of WPV.
Wings- blue foam with partial 1/8th.sq. spruce spars. 1/4in.sq spruce TE with balsa TE stock. 1/64 aircraft ply around centre sections. LE is 3/8th.sq. cedar hand planed to a 'D' section after gluing it to the foam cores. The foam is just sealed with a few coats of WPV.
Landing gear- 1/8th Aluminum with 3.5in Williams Bros. Vintage wheels (about 1/2 lb but it is ahead of the CG.
Finnish is clear 'neutral base' exterior latex mixed with Dollar Store Acrylic poster paints. Thinned a bit with Windshield washer fluid and brushed on in two thin coats.
Radio is 4 std. servos, std 5-600mah pack jammed as far fwd as possible. Throttle servo is under the engine.
I enlarged the tail areas a bit and moved the wings back about 1.5in. and it balanced nicely.

It flys 35-38mph at full throttle (12.5K/APC10-3) One full throttle dive downwind was clocked at 48mph.

It is tricky to takeoff in calm/crosswind conditions. (I'm still playing around with the LG geometry) Into a breeze it takes off by itself. It lands and taxiis very well.

I like flying it. I have about 75 flights including over 20 rounds of combat.

I'm building an Ansaldo SVA-1 next. It will be 44in. span with more wing area, hopefully under 4lbs.

Take care,
Have fun,
Maac 6437
Unabashed Combat Team
Cross Check is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:55 AM   #13
RCC Contributor

Total Props: 0
Been doing a little more thinking on the WWI rules. Assuming the present rules stay more or less the way the are, we have to do more to attract new pilots.

What if we allow people to fly "observation" or "reconnaissance" during the rounds. They would tow a white streamer and be untouchable. Just fly around out of the fray, practice some manouvers and formation flying, just have fun. Points would still be awarded for: take-off, landing, flying full round, etc. and subtracted for non-engagement. It's a great way to gain confidence and a good pilot can still do well in the scoring. All the stress of being chased is gone and the risk of damaging their airplane is low.

Also, I'd like to see WWI recon flown with any kind of airplane from that period; monoplane, bomber, multi-engine, balloon...you name it!
Bent is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:39 PM   #14
RCC Contributor

I like to think that there are no secrets among the combat fraternity. A form something like this sums things up pretty well. We can add more info if you have any ideas. If everyone posts on a dedicated thread the info will be useful for people interested in getting into WWI combat.

WWI combat model specs.

Model Type______________________________________________ _____

Documentation / Plan___________________________________________

Pilot / Email_____________________________________________ ______

Weight_____________Max Speed____________Min Speed____________

Engine____________Propeller___________Fuel tank size______________

Servos (size and number)_______________________________________

Battery (size and location)_______________________________________

Nose Weight?___________________________________________ _______

Fuselage Construction______________________________________ _____
__________________________________________________ ___________

Wingspan Top____________Bottom_______________Center________ ___

Wing Chord Top__________Bottom_______________Center__________ _

Thickness Top____________Bottom_______________Center________ ___

Total Wing Area___________________Wingloading________________ ___
Wing Construction______________________________________ ________
__________________________________________________ __________
__________________________________________________ __________

Performance - Rate from 1 (poorest) to 10 (best)_____Stall___________
Taxi / Take-off (calm)__________Taxi / Take-off (crosswind)__________
Climb________Level Flight Slow_________Level Flight Fast____________
Steep Turn_________Loop_________Roll___________Landing__ _______
Flying Notes_____________________________________________ ______
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________
Bent is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:21 PM   #15
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Dan P

Can you make that into an excel spreadsheet and post it on the new thread as an attachment please? People can d/l it, fill it in and re attach to their post and I can compile it into a database.
Dan "Buzz" Paluzzi
MAAC# 38730
Secretary/Treasurer Humber Valley RC Flyers
MAAC R/C Scale Combat Committee
Buzz is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:59 PM   #16
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: jeff t
Radio of choice:
Specktrum DX18
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 3
thats it

Now this is what I call constructive NO bickering JUST IDEAS. great keep them comming
Green side is definitely not up
canadianice is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.