Active Member or Just Flying? - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

View Poll Results: How do you like the new look
I like it, or I'll get used to it 39 30.23%
I don't like it 90 69.77%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 04-02-2006, 04:26 AM   #11
RCC Master Contributor
I am: jean c blouin
Radio of choice:
hitec polk spektrum
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 2

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I am the CFI for the club, also the engine man
including mowing tractor maintenance
for present club
have been VP and secretary and dir. for diff. clubs before
I care for what we enjoy so much.
MAAC 5057 L
Jean. C. Blouin
CFI Club Aeromodeliste de l`Estrie
Skype jean.blouin
skypupnut is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:59 AM   #12
wise guy
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 0
Club events

I 'am a regular worker at our club , done every thing except being on ex. board. Have flew in club events and helped out at contest. Our club has a four hour work that every one must do something for club or volunteer to help at contest. If you do not work you pay. Four hours is easy to do.
Wise Guy
Sun Parlor R/C club
Windsor Ont
wise guy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:31 AM   #13
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jim McIntyre
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 1
Very active for many years ... since the kids came, it's tough just to get out and fly.... I do lend a hand when I can though, mostly to individuals with building or setup problems. I also get to solve most of the radio mixing problems....
MAAC# 12719
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere - (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).
JimMcIntyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:19 PM   #14
RCC Contributor

Member Participation

Hi Gents

Similar issues here. Core group of people who do the "dirty work" and others who just want to fly. I'm one of the "dirty" workers. I put in the time that I can free up to make our club better. Currently we're re-orienting our runway and pit locations.

I think you'll find this deliniation in any club you join. Some just want to fly and nothing else. Some jump in with both feet. The "participation" levy is an interesting idea. I'd probably work it out so that you'd get credit toward your membership as opposed to a refund.

VP Mississauga Model Flying Club
Ed Miedzybrocki
Great Northern Models
Your Canadian Jet Source for BVM, Festo, Fei Bao, Robart, JetCat, Jersey Modeler, Skymaster, Graupner Modelbau and more coming...!!!
rcav8tr is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:27 PM   #15
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Scott

First year I joined, I was "volunteered" for our entertainment at the meetings. Then I did our newletter for 2 years. Help at most of the events. Since I expanded and moved my business, it has been harder to do as much as I used to. Still haven't got around to getting a plane ready for this season yet.
I never crash...I land with style!

Ajax R/C Club
Fodder is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:15 PM   #16
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Stefan J

2nd year in the club and I am VP and organized our indoor flying. Do field work and help at events. Most of our members help out somewhere but we don't have too many members. Grass cutting seems to be the biggest issue. We all are supposed to take turns, however it seems to be just a few of us who cut regularly. But then there are some members who never seem to make it out to the field to fly either.
jacksost is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:08 PM   #17
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: al h
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 20

Yup, me too, first pres in 1971, tried the 2nd hellicopter,1973. kicked it about 30 ft., got out of hobby for 25 or so years, and got back at it... Back in the club for 6 years, done grass cutting with a few of the active members, and inactive, pres. for 2 more years, and do what I can to help run the club....... It's all fun, and I still love yo build and fly, and sometimes spot lamd, VIRTICALLY ////// Al
plowboy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:43 PM   #18
Bryan Mailloux
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Bryan M

Total Props: 1
club involment

I am the new Prez this year for our flying club, been Vp, co- treasure. So yes I have been an active member. I know that club involvement with everyone can make a strong club.
With our last years funfly we had over 75% membership involvement and most of the time it included there wife or GF. We have a club of 40. I know the club trys to encourage everyone to participate so that in turn the event runs smoothly and the work load is more evenly spread out.

The funflys success is what keeps our membership cost down and pays for our club christmas party.
Even with this amount of participation we really only host 1 funfly per year. So not to over work the club.

Right now our club is in need of a secretary. I hope this position can be filled quickly so that the club can run effectively. It takes members to realize that to have a club that you are proud of it takes every member to help out in some way.
Bryan Mailloux is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:51 PM   #19
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 10
I'm somewhere in the middle..

I help at fun flies, work days and mall shows.

I refuse to hold an office. I've been a Scouter, (Section, Unit and District level), I've worked on the exec of a Cancer Society Branch, I've been on the board at our Church (culminating in 3 years as Chair) and I have decided I will actively NOT seek any positions within the club.

I am here for enjoyment, and I can get that by lending a hand at the grunt level, I don't need the hassle and wear and tear on my psyche by taking on a title, however innocuous. This is an active decision on my part because I got out out of all my previous positions as I could not stand the petty politics that got in the way of trying to do a decent job.

My current community service is as a civilian instructor for the Army Cadets, and I show up every Tuesday, teach my two or three periods to the youth and that's it. I don't do weekend exercises, or fundraising, and they seem glad to have me on my own terms.

No politics, a clear task with a beginning and an end and I am content.
Dave Holmes

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:42 PM   #20
RCC Contributor
I am: Peter Hildebrandt
Radio of choice:
JR 9303, PCM 10X
# of RCs: 9

Hi all.

The poll was an interesting one for me. At this time in my life, I actually voted; just wanting to fly! A few years ago, I would have voted the other way.

This is and has been a long time issue in the 2 club's I belong to. For those of you who know me, you'll know my many years of club involvement and dedication to the hobby. But, the years have taken their toll and my involvement has diminished. Amusingly, new students/members still imply people like myself don't do our share of instruction or club duties (not knowing the hours and hours spent at the field years ago).

Regardless of the amount of one's involvement, I feel putting a levy on club participation is not the way to go. Before a levy or mandatory volunteer time be implemented, I think clubs should look at what they, with the level of enthusiasm of the membership can handle. Hey, if there isn't anyone who wants to plan the Mall show, or the fun fly, or the float fly, or the IMAC event, or the Big Brothers day, or the scale rally, or the T-shirt order or the ....... maybe we shouldn't be doing it?!?! Yup, it really is that simple. Ask for the necessary volunteers needed to do a job, and if the number isn't met, don't do it. If the membership wants it bad enough, people will step forward.

What are we really hear for? Isn't it to provide a safe place to fly and promote the hobby by being good (and happy) examples helping others learn the hobby? It's not to have the "best fun fly" or "biggest scale rally". If members are so inundated with "jobs", running events, etc, a club risks loosing membership or worse moral. We get caught up in what we think we should be doing and sometimes forget the basics (I think).

With all that said, my hat IS off to all you out there participating for the betterment of your clubs! Boy, i'm sounding old

Peter H.
MAAC 25235L
Peter_H is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.