Should a club use financial rewards/incentives? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

View Poll Results: organized 1/10 electric buggy,stadium truck racing
will be there 8 36.36%
might make it 3 13.64%
u crazy it nitro season 11 50.00%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 04-04-2006, 01:06 PM   #1
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Paul D
Radio of choice:
Fubar S-bus2 -no lock outs :)
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 21
Should a club use financial rewards/incentives?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
My question is:

Should a club use a financial incentive to get people out to work parties and reward those who do participate?

Please suggest your ideas in posts below on how to motivate members.

Also, if there is a financial membership reward given for work parties, how do you regulate it in a large club without it being a huge burden.

Thanks for your input.

EDIT - I guess I should be more clear in that the incentive would only apply as a reduction of the following year's dues and that the credit would be given for any work such as executive, workparties, CD, cut grass, etc.
MAAC Jet Committee/JPO Western Canada
2L club executive member
Pauld is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:28 PM   #2
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Angus
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18mz
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 5
unfortunately the Law of Diminishing Returns usually plays the roll in most clubs "20% of the members do 80% of the work" I would maybe suggest instead of rewarding those who come out, penalize those who don't with increased membership fee.

Just my 2 cents

P.S. I'm probably one of those who would have to pay extra
Angus is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:46 PM   #3
RCC Contributor

Total Props: 0
Originally Posted by Angus
... "20% of the members do 80% of the work"

I'm convinced that is true in most clubs!

Originally Posted by Angus
... instead of rewarding those who come out, penalize those who don't with increased membership fee...
That's what our club does.... we require 4 hours of "time" per year per member. You can CD an event, work a shovel on a work-day, pick garbage out of the parking lot, whatever.... just donate 4 hours of your time to the club or you will be "penalized" at $5 / hour not worked, being added to the following year's dues. If you choose to not join the club again because you have to pay an extra $20 then we've just weeded out a person who doesn't really want to "participate" as part of a "club".... their loss really.

Sure, it means someone has to track it... guess what... that person has just covered their required time (and then some)! It also gets posted in our newsletter so you know at a glance if you need to get involved somewhere!
Steve Hayes, MAAC 51896
4206'15"N 8305'40"W

Sun Parlor RC Flyers Tower Field
4210'13"N 8302'49"W

Ontario Adhesives
propnut is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:41 PM   #4
RCC Contributor

Our club (Humber Valley) doesn't offer any rewards programs. I've been told it was tried before and it created more headaches than it solved. With around 125 members the participation is adequate for running winter meetings, spring clean up, field maintenance and student training. A small, core group does most of the above and NOBODY whines so it's all good...for now.
Bent is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:08 PM   #5
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 10
I think a fixed membership fee with a credit towards the next year fees (with a limit on the amount) would be more in order. A positive reward, rather than a negative slap, even though it comes out the same.
Dave Holmes

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:14 PM   #6
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Mike P

No. The whole point of volunteering is giving your time for something you enjoy. I'd rather see my club's money going to fix the parking lot at the North (Drumquin) Field rather than going to pay people to show up to events.

"20% of the members do 80% of the work"
Not according the the poll I ran here a couple of days ago.
Currently driving: HPI Savage X SS 4.6 / Traxxas Mini E-Revo
Find me a the Milton Fair Grounds any sunny weekend.
orenda635 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:36 PM   #7
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Ted L

With the swing towards electric models and parkflyers growing bigger and bigger, we need to attract members to our clubs, not push them away. Yes it may be unfair in "your" club who shares in the work load. I often find those that do most of the work are of course of the opinion that the other members are doing nothing. Even if that is true, try having a club where there are no other members, might be a little difficult. If you are a member that does most of the work then you should be proud of the fact that you are doing a great service to your club. If this pride is not enough to satisfy your ego then stop doing the work. Hopefully someone else will pick up the torch and run with it. Perhaps there are other members that don't feel they need to do anything because it is already being done, if that changes then they may feel the need to start doing what was once being done by someone else. Like it or not a club is a group of "individuals" all trying to co-exist in one place for one type of activity, trying to force anyone to do anything usually results in harsh feelings at best or chaos at worst.

Just to clarify, I have been a member of a few clubs and in the larger ones there was a clique of people that didn't seem to want any help at all. In the smaller ones I often volunteer my time and sometimes it is used and other times it is not. When I do do some work for the club I don't need to shout it out, nor do I need to get a pat on the back although that does feel good. I take pride in it for the simple reason that what ever I have done makes the club a better place for "ME" to fly at. This may come across a selfish reason but the way I see it, if I am not looking for the praise of others I am not disappointed when I don't get it.

This is not meant to imply that all club volunteers are looking for praise or acknowledgement, it has just come across as that to me at times. Kinda like "Hey Mom look what I did. And by the way Billy did nothing."
Ted LeBlanc
Noin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:34 PM   #8
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Gord C

Total Props: 7
In our club of about 90 members, 15 to 20% do all the flying but the same people look after the field maintainance. In my book the other 80 % are paying for repairs to the cost maintainance, taxes, fuel and tractor costs for cutting grass, building repairs, etc. So everything pretty well balances out.
Tried for my kamikazi pilots licence. Flunked the test.
MAAC 5276
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.